turbotwist

Jav J1 with a 170 main?

I just bought my friends Jav J1 which fits a 135-150 main. It has a PD 143 Reserve. I was trying to figure out if anyone had ever fit a 170 main into that container. I don't think im ready for a 150 yet. Thanks

Melissa

Not meant to be rude, just to get you thinking... If you don't think you're ready for a 150 yet, why on earth would you think you're ready for a 143 reserve?

No offense taken. I probably should be on a 150 anyways since I've had great success with my 170. I was just thinking for the winter I should stick to the 170 and when summer comes downsize again. If the time comes that I have to land a 143 reserve, im positive I'd do just fine :) It was just a curiosity question of if I can keep a 170 in it for another 30 or 40 jumps until summer comes.

Blue Skies

I just bought my friends Jav J1 which fits a 135-150 main. It has a PD 143 Reserve. I was trying to figure out if anyone had ever fit a 170 main into that container. I don't think im ready for a 150 yet. Thanks

Melissa

I can't wait to see you pack that 170 into KGB's rig!

And then you can teach me again!

Luv ya!
Always be kinder than you feel.

If the time comes that I have to land a 143 reserve, im positive I'd do just fine :)

You could have a chop your very next jump.

One of the guys are our DZ jumps a Sabre2 135 loaded ~1.2, when had a ride on his Airforce 140 reserve he hammered it in. He has 400 jumps total.

Small f1-11 / 7-cell reserve canopies (apparently) fly quite differently.

http://sunpath.com/sizchart.htm

If your rig is K series this is the chart if not click the one below the chart. If it is a KL then it was built for a 150R and 170M

Most likely it will fit, but gonna be tight!!
Oh its actually built for a 150. In most cases you can go up or down one until you get to the much smaller sizes.
Pay attention to your riser covers and pin covers, changing canopy sizes can affect their performance, since they were designed with a specific pack volume in mind.

Hope that helps.
J

I have put a fairly new Spectre 170 in J1KS. It was a real pain to pack and a very tight fit. IF you do decide to put a 170 in I would strongly advise you practise the pull on the ground. The extra pressure on the pilot chute pocket makes it more difficult to extract. It is easily overcome by flattening the pilot chute down properly but obviously this is not an option in the air! I put around 10 jumps on the system with the 170 before getting a 150. Due to the difficulty in packing and the pilot chute (potential) issue I would not recomend it as a long term solution. It was also tight enough that I never closed the container after the last jump of the day as I was concerned about stretching the main tray and wear on the grommits (I am not a rigger it just seemed logical).

NB. Spectres have a slightly lesser pack volume than 9 cells like Sabres/Pilots.

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

***One of the guys are our DZ jumps a Sabre2 135 loaded ~1.2, when had a ride on his Airforce 140 reserve he hammered it in. He has 400 jumps total.reply]

There are other possible reasons as to why he hammered it in other than the size of the canopy

the container will close but if it truly "fits" is another question I'd prefer to watch rather than pack it

I will pack it. In my J1 I've currently got a stiletto 135. the list before that was: Sabre 150, Rage 170 and a Diablo 190. All fit with no issues. The 135 is actually a bit small I think and is the smallest I will go.
Scars remind us that the past is real