sovietskee

New Lineset before its neccessary

I recently got a great deal on my new to me sabre. The lines are getting fairly old and frayed but the canopy seems to fly perfectly fine as far as i can tell. I'm coming up on a repack in a few days and I'm debating whether or not to get a new lineset along with the repack. I'm sure I could get another 100 or so jumps on this current lineset before it starts to become questionable.

My question: Is it really worth spending the $200 on a new lineset before its absolutely necessary?

I recently got a great deal on my new to me sabre. The lines are getting fairly old and frayed but the canopy seems to fly perfectly fine as far as i can tell. I'm coming up on a repack in a few days and I'm debating whether or not to get a new lineset along with the repack. I'm sure I could get another 100 or so jumps on this current lineset before it starts to become questionable.

My question: Is it really worth spending the $200 on a new lineset before its absolutely necessary?

your statement doesn't make sense.

you state that lines are getting fairly old and frayed.
you then question re-line "before its absolutely necessary".

at what point to you feel it's necessary to reline ? When the lines start breaking ? Because that's like never replacing your timing belt until it breaks. Both can be disasters. It's about PREVENTATIVE maintenance.

Get your riggers opinion, since you obviously are not qualified to make one (not a stab at ya, just an assessment). Also, a main reline and a reserve repack have NOTHING in common and can be done absolutely independent of one other.

MY rigger said its not necessary yet, however a few of my friends have said that the lines look pretty worn and that a new lineset makes canopies fly "like new." Would a new lineset make a canopy fly better if I don't really notice anything wrong with it now? I did need to have the brake lines lengthened about 6 inches after I put the first jump on it. They were so short that I couldn't go into full flight and the stall point was just below chest level. But once they were lengthened everything seems normal.

chill out, the first thing I did was get my rigger's opinion. They're not about to start braking but they will need to be replaced after a 100 or so more jumps. I was asking about noticeable change in performance? Does a new lineset really make a canopy fly "like new"?

I know linesets and repacks have nothing to do with each other but If I'm already giving my rig to the loft for a repack I might as well have all the work I want done to be completed.

edit: I just realized who you are, did you get a chance to jump that sabre yet?

I did need to have the brake lines lengthened about 6 inches after I put the first jump on it. They were so short that I couldn't go into full flight and the stall point was just below chest level. But once they were lengthened everything seems normal.

MY rigger said its not necessary yet,

have you considered a new rigger?

Go measure the A and D lines and tell us both

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'll just have my rigger measure the lines when I get my repack to see if they're still the proper length. I never actually had an inspection done on the canopy when I bought it, but both riggers who took a cursory look at the lines said they don't look like they need to be replaced quite yet.

What can one say? Some say better safe than sorry, get it done.

Figure out where it fits into ones overall skydiving budget. Others wait until something breaks. How can one tell what the limits are unless one finds them? One has to figure in how much of a risk of loss there is, if one has to chop the canopy, e.g., whether the DZ is surrounded by trees or not. In your case you may not have a very accurate idea of the number of jumps on the line set already, which is also a factor in people's decisions.

Another factor is how easy it is to get the set replaced. Maybe not for you, but for some it means sending a canopy away to another country, so if one doesn't send it away one off-season, one will want to put another full season's jumping on the canopy.

One can see when a line starts to look really fuzzy, with many loose ends sticking out, that one figures will do something to the strength. But really, how often does one see a line tested to its limit? At a smaller DZ, one may only have someone break a line every few years, and if one isn't at the DZ that day, one might never see what it looks like. So one's actual experience base in seeing lines that have broken may be almost zero, making it tougher to make a decision.

(Brake lines are another matter and clearly require more care. Also, while lines may in general break on opening, there is the issue of lines breaking during a high G approach rather than during a very soft opening. Rare but it has happened.)

Except on the steering lines, with spectra lined canopies like the Sabre you get enough differential line shrinkage to produce undesirable landing (less flare) and opening (harder or stalling, less stable, more likely to spin up) characteristics before they show much in the way of visible wear.

Apart from being somewhat grey after 600 jumps the lines on my Stiletto 120 look fine, although the outside lines shrank 6" and inside lines 1.5".

You need to check the trim and see where it's at.

The steering lines can be replaced separately, with 200-300 jumps being a normal life time (this means that with Velcro risers you need to put the toggles on top of the hook material immediately after landing).

If you want decent openings and landings you need to replace spectra lines long before they're "worn out". Have your rigger check the trim and see. You may just need new brake lines (maybe $30) or may want a new line set.

Thanks. From the 15 jumps I've done on it so far it opens pretty much like my old sabre and those lines were in trim so that's a good sign. As I said I'll have the trim checked when I get a repack and I'll go from there.

$350, Its really that expensive? And shipping? I'm not going to send it to PD . I'll get it done in the loft.

Yup. It may be a little cheaper if you send it to PD, but I didn't want to wait and had it done by our rigger.
reline is $260 for spectra at PD + 20 inspection + $25(?) shipping your canopy back and forth).
I don't have the invoice, but it was around $350 for lines, installation and inspection (tax included) at the loft

:)
If you feel that your lines are ??? just go for reline.

The canopy fabric & tapes must be inspected as well to find out if the canopy is still good for being relined

Safety is not measured by $$$

Let it be done by a Master Rigger who knows the work or ship to PD.

Be Samrt & Safe !!!

Hi soviet,

It seems to me that people posting are talking (typing ???) about two different things.

1. What condition are your lines in? Are they frayed, wearing out, loose fibers, etc?

2. Are the lines dimensionally correct?

These two situations are not directly related to each other. You may have a lineset that is still well within the necessary tolerances for good openings & canopy flight yet still be very much in need of replacing. Conversely, you may have a lineset that still looks very good but is so far off dimensionally that you should get a replacement.

I suggest that you have your rigger inspect the lineset for both conditions and then he and you can make the proper decision on what to do.

Also, remember (depending on where you are located) that the winter is a very good time to get your gear in tip-top shape.

Hope that this helps,

JerryBaumchen

So as an update: I had the main canopy inspected along with the repack and my rigger reiterated that the current lineset is still "perfectly" jumpable but I will notice a significant improvement in flare and the openings might be nicer with a new set... so he ordered the new lineset the day before yesterday and it came in this morning! PD RULES! I'll update after this weekend.