jumpjim

GoPro Helmet Hero Wide - Anyone tried one?

Tahank you very much :)

I still have one small question, how wide is the wide angle compared to a x0.3 or x0.45-5 leans on an sony cam?

(Just aproximatly, i know that x0.3 or x0.45-5is a relative to wisch camera you use)

Thank you for a good review!

Here it is
I don't know when it'll go up on DZ.com

Thanks for this.

I have been wondering about the GoPro ever since I first heard about it. I now feel like I have a good understanding of both the pros and cons of this thing.

Your review will let me buy one in comfort knowing that it will be appropriate for my needs.

Thanks again!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I was also on the sceptic side when I decided to get one of those... I eventually became fond of it. I've taken it from my home drop zone at Raeford to Deland and Zhills. So far I've got a definate "i've got to get me one of those!" comments from guys like Mikey and Patty Woods (Zhills), Smiley (Zhills), Mike Inman (RPC), Ben Gillespie (RPC), and numerous other people. They seem all so excited that a little 168 dollar camera can actually be fun to mess around with. Video is not the best obviosly but good enough to show non skydivers some of the crack moments of the sport and pictures...well...impressive IMO. I have mine mounted on top of my BH Mamba with the sticky mounts and it stays like it was meant to be there. It's especially funny when you run into other people with the same camera on their helmet and they give you the surprised "lol...i got one of those too!" gestures. I especially love to strange looks that folks give you in the plane while waiting for your go and you know they will meet you on the ground to ask what that little curious little contraption may be stuck to your overly large dome... it can't be a weather probe or or a future docking clamp for large big ways. I deffinately love the little bugger!

I've used one. Review and link to video taken with it are in the Video forum. Short summary is that it's poor quality but is usable for 4-way debriefing. A USPA judge said that it's of judgeable quality, so it may be useful as a backup camera for competitions. The extremely wide angle lens is a little problematic, but for 4-way that can actually be an advantage (i.e. blown-exit video backup.)

Hey DSE

Does the Go Pro handle vibrations well?

My helmet is just a strap on and I would suspect that it might vibrate a fair bit during freefall, so I'm interested in hearing your input on how it might handle the vibration of terminal velocity.

Thanks.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

I sell Go Pro Cameras, just being up front, we have 4 guys using them on our DZ and they love them.

they handle the Vibrations well but do not have image stabilization so the more you shake the picture will shake.

The guys using it are really happy with them and how easy it is to get it off and edit it. I have some sample videos i took off of youtube (no professional vids.) and I am giving a 10% off for DZ .com users.

go to www.reaperwear.com see the videos use the promo code DZ when checking out and get 10% off.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death. www.reaperwear.com

I've put probably about 30/40 jumps on one. Vibration didn't really seem to be an issue but my helmet fits very well (the way I like it). Initially I had a normal chin strap which I recently changed to a cup because I got a CX100.

Pros: Small, light, easy to use, simple, will probably rip off if snagged.
Cons: Battery use, *very* wide angle, when it stops working you don't know, silent failure state, very slow transfer over USB cable.

I think it's an excellent camera for simple stuff as long as you stay on top of your battery usage and the memory card. The new version they're bringing out is meant to resolve a lot of the issues I have with the GPW but it will obviously need to be tested.