jumpjim

GoPro Helmet Hero Wide - Anyone tried one?

I was thinking of investing in a http://www.goprocamera.com/index8.htm GoPro Helmet Hero Wide to use skydiving.

Apparently they have adhesive mounts which would fit my Factory Diver well and they have been tested skydiving and on the side of racing cars so shouldn't come off.

Question is: Has anyone tried one and any comments on the video/stills quality?

We have a photo forum here....
The GoPro cameras are barely a step up from the Barbie doll Television Reporter camera kit you can buy for your kids.
Excellent for screwing around, great for making low-resolution web video, useless for anything meaningful in skydiving. If students don't mind seeing soft/pixilated movement, I suppose one could use it as a super cheap debrief camera.

Most of the video on the GoPro site looks pretty good quality, and as a debrief camera for POV I think it would be ideal. It's a shame there's no footage on Vimeo of RW or freeflying to compare with MiniDV etc.

Here's the clincher, it's pretty cheap! Seriously though $189 looks pretty good value.

I also like the fact I can strap the thing to my dive mask and take it diving next time I'm getting wet.

Most of the video on the GoPro site looks pretty good quality, and as a debrief camera for POV I think it would be ideal. It's a shame there's no footage on Vimeo of RW or freeflying to compare with MiniDV etc.
wet.

Everything looks good at 320 x 240, even 12.5fps

Hi Guys,

I think you might be referring to our old 3MP narrow lens camera.

We just launched our new 5MP 170 degree wide angle lens cameras and they are light years beyond our last camera.

Here's a skydiver doing a CREW jump using our new wide angle camera:

http://vimeo.com/2221785

If you want to see it larger you can scroll to the bottom of that video page and on the bottom right you will see a WMV button that will allow you to download the jumper's video file and watch it on your computer, not compressed online. That WMV file was edited in Windows Movie Maker so it is NOT the original video file but it should still be pretty sweet.

In addition our cameras can shoot 5MP photos automatically every 2 seconds for 65 minutes before a 2GB SD card would be full.

Don't be fooled by the $189.99 price...there is a lot of killer engineering going into our cameras. We just own our own designs and have an extremely good factory so our pricing can be very aggressive. Compare head to head with more expensive cameras and you'll be amazed.

Sorry for chiming in...just trying to help answer the "unknowns" about our cameras.

Our site is here http://www.goprocamera and there are links to tons of videos from there.

THANKS VERY MUCH!!! :)

I'm trying to get GoPro to lend me one to try and get some footage.

I've looked at other options but quite frankly, for somebody interested in a POV debriefing tool for 4 and 8-way RW jumps I think it looks interesting.

If I can persuade GoPro I'll put some footage up for you guys to check out... :P

Just for info it take videos at 512x384 at 30fps, and stills at 5mpxs every 2 seconds if set...

I've been jumping one for a week or so just to try it out. I got it for multiple sports use, and so far have skydived with it and mtn biked with it.

It's lighter than an altimeter. I rigged up a hand mount for the "Wide", as GoPro doesn't have the wrist strap for the wide version yet. I'm planning on modifying the case to mount on the front of an open face helmet, a bit less protruding than the mount it's built for now. It would be great for debreifing AFF if I can mount it the way I hope.

I'm quite pleased with the results. I have a few of the videos posted on my facebook if any friends want to see. They're raw footage though, so a bit rough. Not high res by any means, but the picture quality is better than one would expect from something that looks like a crackerjack box toy. It's super easy to use. Great for quick uploading to the web.

If anyone is in Perris, find me and I'll show you how it works.

I'm looking forward to more various mounting options and cases... So, GoPro, what's on the horizon?

Thanks!
Karen
http://www.exitshot.com

GoPro Hero Wide arrived today. Review forthcoming.
Short comments;
512 x 384 frame size, so for broadcast, being put on a DVD, etc, it's useless. For web or fun review on a computer in small viewer, it's just fine.
MJPEG codec in AVI container (will be .mov on Apple)
30Fps Progressive
compressed to 4800 Kpbs
1.0 PAR
4:3 SAR
Mono audio@8Khz/64Kbps

I guess define "real" snag hazard.
There is no way, short of removing the molded plastic from the bottom of the waterproof housing, to lay this tight against anything.
It's not much more of a snag hazard than many helmet rigs I've seen, and with the type of "stick on" mounts it has, I'd bet it would break with much of a snag.
My review is nearly complete now that I've got a few skydives with it. It's NOT a camera for anyone looking for great skydiving footage. It *is* quite good for YouTube/Google video-type stuff, and it takes decent stills for review and giggles. Note the "hot spot" (black spot) in the middle of the sun? I am able to reproduce that consistently with any bright light source. Took some underwater video in a hottub:P and the tub light created the same artifact, and pointing at a 250k hotlight in our studio created an identical artifact.
For the price, this is a very impressive toy. In its class, there is nothing better, and I've tried several low-end cams.

Thanks for the info and reviews! I think I will pick one of those up soon...
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

I can't figure out the mounting that comes with this camera. Is this suitable for skydiving? What are the stick on mounts? Would I need to cut slits in my helmet to pass the straps through?

I was thinking of putting this on the top of an Aviator helmet?

I asked GoPro about this and this was the response:

The stick on mounts have been used by other skydivers, and on race cars at speeds over 140 mph. So, for your smooth helmet the stick on mounts will definitely do the trick. Just make sure to properly clean the surface first, ensure that there is a full contact patch and allow 12 hours for complete bond strength.

The stick on mount is bomb. I tried peeling one off my helmet and couldn't do it with my bare hands. I'm not worried about it falling off in freefall. The mount looks snaggie, yeah, but I do think a line snag would rip it off. Which, if that were to ever happen, would be my own $200 punishment for not deploying stable.

Karen
http://www.exitshot.com

Ok, excuse my ignorance. I cant work out the mount from the pictures. There's headlamp type strap that threads through the helmet. There also seems to be some kind of bar that the camera attaches to. What's the configuration? Do you need the strap if using the stick on mounts?
Also can the camera be removed from the mounts for jumps without the camera?