docjohn

B-12 Snap goes bad

My 1996 Javelin with about 1200 jumps on it now has a bad B-12 snap (see photo). Despite the gate problem, it doesn't look like it can accidentally come unhooked but I've grounded this rig until its fixed.

So can just the gate be replaced or does the whole B-12 have to be replaced?
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

Seen that happen before.

One could drill the rivet out that holds the old gate in place. Get a new gate, spring and rivet a new one in place without having to repalce the whole thing, but I'm not sure if that's an approved repair.

Why don't you call up Sunpath and talk to one of their riggers about it? Maybe send them the picture too and ask what they recommend as the mfgr?

One could drill the rivet out that holds the old gate in place. Get a new gate, spring and rivet a new one in place without having to repalce the whole thing...

Yep, I've had that done before. You'll need a really crusty old rigger who has spare parts hanging around from the 1970's. It's a little tricky getting the spring back in there - you tie it in place with a piece of string in a slip knot. Then once everything is back together, pull the string out to release the spring into the open position.

..., but I'm not sure if that's an approved repair.

I'd ordinarily proceed with the view that if it isn't expressly forbidden, and it restores to original, then it is approved. Else riggers would be able to do very little.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History