prodiver913

Vector and Mag riser covers

I have a new Vector with all the options including the magnetic riser covers. I freefly mainly and my rigger told me to be careful with the magnetic covers as they will open in freefall during freeflying and could cause blah, blah, blah.... I didn't want to argue so I shut my mouth. Has anybody else heard this? I was under the assumption that the magnetic covers are freefly friendly and they're pretty solid. I have had no problems at all. Anyone?
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

my packer

akydiving in 2008. sad.

Is it? If i didnt use a packer i would not get 1/5th of the jumps i get in!

Unless you have at least two rigs, packing for yourself can often mean jumping more.

With a 6-7 minute pack job and turbine aircraft taking 20 minutes to turn around, if a trailer or bus ride isn't involved you can usually be on every other load.

With a packer who is also taking care of other people it's probably every third load.

I have the magnetic rise covers as well. I've only started freeflying so I'm sure you can imagine it's not the prettiest thing you've ever seen. However, even when tumbling through the sky I haven't had any problems with them coming open (even when I've accidentally gone head down). :D

When did you get your Vector? On the newest one I saw (made summer 2008) the magnetic flaps were redesigned and quite different than the ones UPT was offering when they introduced the option on their rigs.

The owner, having recently returned from Spain, told me the freefliers at Empuria doing a lot of tracing jumps were complaining about the first design coming open in some flying modes (high speed with a lot of angle changes). That is 2nd hand info, though. 1st hand, I can tell you we have plenty of Vectors with the 'old' magnetic covers on our dz, and while the 'new' design did seem more secure, I have yet to see or hear about the flaps causing problems on a freefly, or any kind of dive for that matter.

i got mine last august (07). I think it's the new design actually. The same graphics and info are still on UPT's site that were there in 07 when I ordered mine. I have never had them open while freeflying. They're pretty solid. Open on deployment and close again once the risers pass the forward edge.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

I've seen a few people pack the mag risers like they were packing tuck tabs, with the main risers between the magnets, i think this would allow them open and close in freefall a bit more. I'm fairly certain the best way with mags is to have the main risers on top of the reserve risers, and the 2 flaps close on top.

thats what I do and no problem even back tracking.
or attempted back tracking:S

i got mine last august (07). I think it's the new design actually. The same graphics and info are still on UPT's site that were there in 07 when I ordered mine.

That's the 'older' design I was talking about, cover flap on the outside of the yoke and pocket on the inside. The newer one was reversed with the flap made smaller and fitting (what seemed) more securely into a pocket on the outside of the yoke...

I have a new Vector with all the options including the magnetic riser covers. I freefly mainly and my rigger told me to be careful with the magnetic covers as they will open in freefall during freeflying and could cause blah, blah, blah.... I didn't want to argue so I shut my mouth. Has anybody else heard this? I was under the assumption that the magnetic covers are freefly friendly and they're pretty solid. I have had no problems at all. Anyone?

We (UPT) did get some feedback for Babylon about the old style riser covers coming open when doing very extreme atmonauti. Since then, we have received a few (less than 20) other people expressing the same concern. We have come up with a modification that will install another 2 magnets on top of the existing 2 pairs of magnets. This modification can be done by anyone and involves no sewing. If you have a V3 with the old style magnetic riser covers and you would like a kit sent to you, please contact me at [email protected]. Another advantage of this modification is it reduces the "wrinkling" in the yoke of the old design.

There is not cost for this modification kit. You will only be charged the shipping fee.

Mark Klingelhoefer

edited to add

It might not be a bad idea to move this to "Gear and Rigging".

Mark, it seems implied by your post, but this 'modification' is now standard on all vectors with the mag riser option correct?

My guess is yes only because I sent mine back to get some repairs that had nothing to do with the risers and when it came back it had this mod. I was quite surprised and happy at the same time. Hooray for free mods. :D