jclalor

Should I buy an FXC 12000 AAD

Nothing wrong with the FXC 12000 especially if recently serviced. But your rig will need some modifications to instal it: First a sort of launching metal plate pad on the second last reserve flap (where the pin is) to anchor the end of the cable housing, then you will need a special pocket to be installed on the right main lift web for the pressure sensor and calibration knob and finally an installation of a pocket for the control box inside the reserve container.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Try calling Skydive Wayne County, they still have rigs that can use the FXC. jrpraeter is Jamie's name on here, but she's not on much. I just found out during the last Richmond Boogie that they are a gear manufacturer for Sweethog containers. You'd be better off having a modern rig though.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

It's a 1-2 hours job but the modification for the installation has to be made by a master rigger or a rigger B in Canada. I would say 40-60$ for that modification. Note: the launching metal plate with screws and collar plus the bracket and screws for the installation of the pressure sensor and calibration knot on the main lift web are included in the FXC 12000 kit. For the control box pocket in the reserve container, I don't know.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

The FXC needs to be tested in a proper chamber every pack job. It needs to go back to the factory every 2 years with a realistic chance that it will fail a test and need the factory sooner. The truth is when you add up the costs over the lifetime of the thing the price advantage over a more reliable, lighter electronic unit is negligible.

In defense of FXC 12000 ... I have only seen one mis-fire at 7,000 feet.

All the rest of the mis-fires occurred below 3,000 feet, with many mis-fires looking suspiciously like they were below 2,000 feet.

Will some one please explain to me what any junior jumper is doing in freefall below 2,000 feet?????

I saw one misfire under a reasonably large canopy that had been open for a minute or two, and was flying straight and level at the time. Altitude looked like 1500 to 2000.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

So how does that change the fact that I have personally seen a few and heard about a few more ?

All the rest of the mis-fires occurred below 3,000 feet, with many mis-fires looking suspiciously like they were below 2,000 feet.

Will some one please explain to me what any junior jumper is doing in freefall below 2,000 feet?????

For your information misfire doesnt necessarily mean it happens in freefall. It can be happening under canopy too and it could be fatal even more likely than misfire in freefall..

I have seen someone land with the reserve PC in tow. I would be scared shitless if it happend to me..

Yes, or a Vigil II but it all depends on his budget. There is a big difference between 350$ and 1199$ plus taxes + shipping.

Isn't the FXC re-settable so you can have it fire over and over and over without having to buy a new cutter? Think of all the money you'll save:D.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I saw one misfire under a reasonably large canopy that had been open for a minute or two, and was flying straight and level at the time. Altitude looked like 1500 to 2000.

The way it was explained to me after I had a fxc fire several seconds after I was under a fully-deployed main on a low pull was that the FXC has a arming point that is somewhat higher than the actual firing point. If the fxc arms, it is committed and will fire when it reaches the activation altitude regardless of the descent rate.

I believe this because I've worked for a dz that used chamber-tested FXC's on freefall student mains to make sure they had a main out by 3,000. For a while the FXC was checked to see if it fired as a pass/fail item for the jump. I challenged that because we had more than a few heads up students with fired fxc's that insisted that they were out of the snivel and in the saddle before 3,000. Way too many for it to be just a case of being mistaken or the ego talking.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

The way it was explained to me after I had a fxc fire several seconds after I was under a fully-deployed main on a low pull was that the FXC has a arming point that is somewhat higher than the actual firing point. If the fxc arms, it is committed and will fire when it reaches the activation altitude regardless of the descent rate.

I believe this because I've worked for a dz that used chamber-tested FXC's on freefall student mains to make sure they had a main out by 3,000. For a while the FXC was checked to see if it fired as a pass/fail item for the jump. I challenged that because we had more than a few heads up students with fired fxc's that insisted that they were out of the snivel and in the saddle before 3,000. Way too many for it to be just a case of being mistaken or the ego talking.

-Blind

Do you know how an FXC works? There are no electronics inside to arm the thing, but the firing mechanism does lag, just like the rate of climb meter in the plane does. If the skydiver descends past the activation altitude before the air pressure inside the unit adjusts to the new, slower rate of descent, it will fire. This is why the instructions say to not set it less than X feet from intended opening (I forget what the figure is). If you were using one on the main I will guess that the intended opening altitude and the FXC firing altitude were quite close.