rob223

What is weight limit at your DZ for Navigator 288?

As above please:

I am on AFF consols and have been previously been using a giant 320 canopy due to 'weigh limits'
I weigh 14st 12lbs fully clothed and the DZ weight limit for AFF students is 16 stone iirc. Im quite stocky build but only 6ft tall so dont have really long arms etc

Basically all the DZs I know of (apart from mine) use navigator 288s and for all students around my weight.

But, although I have stood up all of my landings (apart from 1 stumble early on) the DZO says its max weight is 14 stone?

WTF? is this right as the 320 is a huge rig and i find it awkward to get to the BOC...

the 288 is much comfier on me and Im not sure if I should go to another DZ to finish up or tough it out so to speak!(I do love my home DZ and would return there)
I am not bothered about the smaller canopy for a higher WL (slightly higher) but purely want to 'downsize' because I find the big rig a bit offputting as have had trouble reaching the hackey on 2 occasions. (I did of course, but I find it awkward and it doesnt fill me with confidence!!)

Any input appreciated

//adddition// I am training hard to lose a stone in weight but it will take longer than I want

(14 stone) + (12 pounds) = 208 pounds, + gear is gonna be about 235.

At my current DZ, you'd be jumping a 260 or smaller if you were on solo status, just making jumps to finish up your license. Possibly even as small as a 220, but most likely a 240.

That's a little bit more than my exit weight, and I was jumping Spectre 190s and Navigator 200s when I was finishing up my A license.

Edited to correct for understanding.
Brian

From section six of the BPA operations manual:
2.1.3. The following Wing Loading criteria should be applied to main canopies:

a. First Jump ‘Solo’ Student Parachutists - not to exceed 0.8 lbs/sq.ft.

b. ‘Solo’ Student Parachutists having completed at least one ‘solo’ descent - not to exceed 0.85 lbs/sq.ft.

N.B. Exceptions to the above are permitted where a Canopy’s Manufacturer has published advice that a higher wing loading is suitable. The manufacturer’s higher limit may then apply.

I think your answer lies here.

PD Nav 280 or Manta 288?

There is no such a thing like PD Nav 288....

My mistake!

its a PD Navigator 280.

I have spoken to one of the senior instructors at the DZ (not the top dog!) and he thinks it is to do with the reserve being 240sq ft....

But surely reserves are matched for these rigs pretty much the same for all DZs?

But surely reserves are matched for these rigs pretty much the same for all DZs?

Why would they be?

Well, because the containers will be the same or similiar size for AFF 280s and I cant see how there could be a huge variation in reserve sizes if the main containers are much the same size...the reserve ones wil be as well surely?!

Hopefully they're all big (>200 sqft) but different brand rigs can have different reserve sizes, they'll also take a few reserve sizes so even with the exact same rigs the reserves (and mains) may very well be different if some reserves have got replaced or not bought at the same time or scrounced together, and not all reserves have the same rating so some reserves may be suited for heavier students while some may NOT, even though they may be the same size. With a lighter student having a smaller/lower rated reserve than the main may very well be acceptable, with a heavier student, not so much. If someone says you can't jump a particular rig, I'd want to ask why but I would take their word for it :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hopefully they're all big (>200 sqft) but different brand rigs can have different reserve sizes, they'll also take a few reserve sizes so even with the exact same rigs the reserves (and mains) may very well be different if some reserves have got replaced or not bought at the same time or scrounced together, and not all reserves have the same rating so some reserves may be suited for heavier students while some may NOT, even though they may be the same size. With a lighter student having a smaller/lower rated reserve than the main may very well be acceptable, with a heavier student, not so much. If someone says you can't jump a particular rig, I'd want to ask why but I would take their word for it :)

Thanks.
Looks like I will have to keep on this militant diet for the next few weeks to get under the weight limit ;)

Sacrifices..sacrifices!

If your exit weigth is 235 lbs, at 40 jumps and provided your instructor gives you the green light, you should be able to go on a 280 F111 PD canopy or on a 230 Zero Porosity Sabre 2 as well. It's not only the weigth which matters here but also your fitness especially the legs and very much your skill for flaring.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

If your exit weigth is 235 lbs, at 40 jumps and provided your instructor gives you the green light, you should be able to go on a 280 F111 PD canopy or on a 230 Zero Porosity Sabre 2 as well. It's not only the weigth which matters here but also your fitness especially the legs and very much your skill for flaring.

Thanks.
I am physically fit and do a lot of sport though Ive been a little lazy the past 12 months and have put about 8kg on.
My flaring is decent and I have got the feel of when and how much etc.
My point is all the other DZs that I know of would have me on a 280 from day 1.
I also know several guys heavier (about 225lbs + kit) and who are pretty unfit who started out on 280s and were fine.
I find it stupid as I already used the 280 for a jump early on and landed it fine but then he found out and said 'oh, you should be on the 320'!!