LadiDadi

I Got Help - Nothing Went Wrong

Let's bid farewell to that old thread now, shall we?

Today was incredible. Simply incredible. I followed the advice of my husband and did a tandem jump so I could remind myself why I started down this road in the first place. Unless you're in the Army or the plane is going down, I believe everybody skydives for the same reason (regardless of what they say) - because it's fun. Pure and simple. Fun. My last actual jump - the nasty static line one - and my last attempt at a jump on Friday were not in any way fun. They were scary and painful and frustrating. I needed to hit the reset button, so to speak, and that's what I did today.

I had fun. I had a blast. It was a stunningly gorgeous day well deserved after several days of crap weather. It was a good day to fly and I'm glad that chance paired me up with a kick ass guy who went well out of his way to show me what I loved about this from the first moment. He helped me more than I could ever express.

SDCTLC - you're my hero.

Everyone else here - you all played a part in this little saga/sob story and I thank you all.

Now I have to go to bed. I start AFF tomorrow...

:o
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

SDCTLC - you're my hero.

Yeah, he's pretty cool for a Hokie. ;) Have fun with AFF.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

SDCTLC - you're my hero.

Sorry...he was *my* hero first, so maybe you can be his second hero-worshipper.:D
Scott seems to always make those around him smile and feel great, doesn't he?

Congrats on the fun jump, and looking forward to seeing you at events down the road!

Let's bid farewell to that old thread now, shall we?

Today was incredible. Simply incredible. I followed the advice of my husband and did a tandem jump so I could remind myself why I started down this road in the first place. Unless you're in the Army or the plane is going down, I believe everybody skydives for the same reason (regardless of what they say) - because it's fun. Pure and simple. Fun. My last actual jump - the nasty static line one - and my last attempt at a jump on Friday were not in any way fun. They were scary and painful and frustrating. I needed to hit the reset button, so to speak, and that's what I did today.

I had fun. I had a blast. It was a stunningly gorgeous day well deserved after several days of crap weather. It was a good day to fly and I'm glad that chance paired me up with a kick ass guy who went well out of his way to show me what I loved about this from the first moment. He helped me more than I could ever express.

SDCTLC - you're my hero.

Everyone else here - you all played a part in this little saga/sob story and I thank you all.

Now I have to go to bed. I start AFF tomorrow...

:o

I just don't know where to start.......Your words

"Unless you're in the Army or the plane is going down, I believe everybody skydives for the same reason (regardless of what they say) - because it's fun. Pure and simple. Fun. My last actual jump - the nasty static line one - and my last attempt at a jump on Friday were not in any way fun. They were scary and painful and frustrating"

they mean so much to me. I can completely relate to you since I have my own frustrating experiences. I have been jumping and just like you said...like everybody I jumped for fun...and want to jump for fun.....but like you, my jumps have been only scary painful and frustrating.......I don't think many people understand this.....it is not easy to have fun when all you feel is fear......it indeed takes a lot of courage to keep jumping in the hope to have fun while not having any.....

I am very happy for you that you managed to have fun on your tandem.....it's good you found your "reset" button. I am finding my own "reset" button. I might consider your idea....maybe.....

Hey! i am glad you got things worked out. I was having some problems with my practice pulls because i wasn't having fun. I wanted to move on so bad and was so afraid of messing up I would get really nervous and end up doing what I didn't want to do....mess up! I knew what I was supposed to do and what I was doing wrong I just couldn't relax and my desire was getting the best of me. Once I decided, with the advice of my instructor, to just say screw it and have fun everything just happened right! The first time after he told me that he noticed I was getting nervous on the way up and he said, "look you know what to do, just think, how cool is this! I am jumping out of a airplane." Seriously, that is what I think about on the way up and when we get to altitude I am focused, exited, and ready to go. Anyways, I did 4 jumps over the weekend and my 4 was my first clear and pull and it was the most amazing thing I have ever done.
Its really a mental game more than anything. I had been through the frustrations and had a few more practice pulls than others but none of that matters now that I did it and it was all more than worth it. I almost feel stupid for getting so frustrated in the first place.
Anyways, just keep having fun. No matter what you doing something that so few do and you are adding another jump to your jump number every time!
THIS IS THE COOLEST MOST AMAZING SPORT EVER!!!!!!!![:):D;)

AFF levels 1 and 2 are in the bag. Woo hoo!!! I'm awesome!!

I'm also sore as hell, have some lovely bruises that I am excited about (unlike last time) and every time I try to stand up straight I am reminded of a very important lesson:

The arch comes from the hips being thrust forward, not the back bending backwards. Ooooh... I used ALL the hot water in the shower this morning trying to get those lower back muscled to let go. Lesson learned.

Also, to all of those who made comments about tandems teaching bad habits. Ha! Not so true sometimes. My second landing was way out and the radio guy had limited perspective as to how far off the ground I was so his 'FLARE' command was a little late. Combine that with my pathetic flare and I ended up with some serious (for a beginner) forward speed. I know the PLF and have done it successfully but I don't think that a PLF would have been a good idea for me in that situation. I had *just* enough time to realize that if I tried to put my feet down in any fashion, mayhem would have ensued in one manner or another. So I did what any good tandem student would do - put my feet up and out and skidded for what seemed like half a mile (likely about 15 feet?) on my ass. Wow, was the friction toasty! But nothing was hurt (except maybe some crickets) except for my fingers getting skinned on the dry grass and dirt and I was commended on my ass skid.

For anyone needing a real laugh - I landed so hard that my boobs popped out of my bra.

Yay!! Skydiving is fun!! Go skydive!!

I'm off to try and convince my husband that we need a hot tub now...

Aughghghghgh... Don't EVER EVER EVER butt slide. It's a good way to break your back/tailbone. You got lucky, that was it. Don't lull yourself into complacency on that one. There is no situation where a butt slide is better than a PLF (except for tandem landings). You don't have the experience to safely butt slide and it will literally bite you in the ass. This is the one thing I will ream students out for, I will flat out fail students for... after a few butt slide landings on AFF, you either PLF or repeat the level, no matter how flawless the freefall was. Funny, my students learn fast when there is money on the line (they learn even faster when they are broken, unfortunately :S)

I'm glad your 2 jumps went well, but you need to fix this PLF vs. Butt slide thing ASAP. It IS a bad habit, it is from tandems, and it can lead to big problems down the road. I've seen it far too many times and don't want it to end up to you.

Edited to add.. you landed so hard your boobs popped out of your bra... and you don't think that that kind of hard landing is a problem? You can do major back damage without realizing it.

I am sorry to yell at you about this, but it's a safety issue that slides by too often. Get into good habits now, not when you're on a smaller, less forgiving canopy.

When's level 3? :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I am acutely aware that my ass surfing was successful by luck only. My downward speed wasn't the problem so I didn't *whump* down on my butt and then skid. It was, by my view of things, a lot of forward speed and I honestly felt - and still feel - that if I had tried to put my feet down that I would have ended up on my face skidding (at best). I didn't have my feet horizontal to the ground or above horizontal so my butt did not hit first, my heels did (knees bent, of course).

I'm not in any way trying to justify dangerous or bad habits and I promise you as well as myself and my instructors that I will never, EVER rely on a butt slide. I was told, however, that given the situation I was in with the forward speed it was a good thing. BUT THAT I AM TO NEVER EVER DO IT AGAIN.

You are always welcome to yell at me. Use me as a bad example even. Just as long as you tell me it's because you love me when you're done beating me up ;)

Level three just might be tomorrow; depends on how much groaning I do in the morning. Every muscle between my elbows and knees is sore. Anyone who says that skydiving isn't a sport or physical can kiss my (grass stained) ass - once they're done rubbing my back down with Tiger Balm.

Congratulations!

Aughghghghgh... Don't EVER EVER EVER butt slide. It's a good way to break your back/tailbone.

I know you responded already but this bears repeating. My first landing (L4) was a butt slide, my tailbone hurt for months and I was lucky. If there'd been a rock on the ground right there, it could have been a lot worse. That's not even counting just landing too hard. I haven't done one since. I'd also like to point out that you should be PLFing anyway, even if you think it's too fast, I've needed to do it a couple of times (and maybe should have a couple more rather than running out the landing) and the fast ones usually end up being a forward roll kind of thing. Think of all that energy that's being bled off. I've heard people say that that you can't PLF at high speeds ("high speed" being relative of course!) but that hasn't been my (very limited) experience. Feet & knees together, hands all the way up. That what they always say at my DZ before flare instructions.

Anyway, who am I to give advice, listen to your instructors & local puppy chasers.

There's no video? ;)

Did you buy beer yet?

There is no video of me digging a trough in the field with my butt. Thankfully! I did see video of me during the freefall... What a valuable learning tool. What a cringe-inducing thing to watch. At one point I looked like a boat in rough water bobbing up and down and side to side. One point in my favor is that I was able to identify all of the things I did wrong and why. Now putting that into action is the challenge.

I haven't bought beer yet as I do not know all the rules around when the noob buys the beer. Is there a break-down of that somewhere here? My momma raised me to be polite and to honor customs no matter where I go so I need to know. I also don't drink beer so god only knows what sort of crap I would show up with. I have become quite fascinated by the whole idea behind this beer I saw recently. I forget the brand but it comes in a tall can and includes tomato juice and clam juice. Really? Who thought that was a good idea? I don't think I could gag down a thimble full of that stuff.

Also - what means 'puppy chasers'?

Good luck on your level 3 today, and good call on getting video.... that is a great learning tool!

About PLF. If you can explain to me why it is preferrable to land with all momentum on your spine vs. all momentum being distributed along very sturdy body parts, then I won't yell :P You are justifying a butt slide, that's what scares me. Even your instructors said not to do it again (and unless you are VERY agressive about changing this habit, you will do it again). This sport requires humility. Justifying something that is blatantly unsafe is counter to that.

A PLF will not affect your face... a PLF will distribute forward momentum just as well as straight down. Let me tell you a story.... great case of target fixation on my husband who already landed, a higher speed approach on a smaller canopy (I had just downsized) and a low avaoidance turn (as in 15 ft off the ground, so it was combined with a flare) had me coming in HOT. When I land, EVERY TIME, I lean into it, keeping my feet under my body, a little bit of chest forward, into the chest strap, feet and knees together.... perfect posture to stand up, but also perfect posture to PLF. Well, that jump, I PLFd a solid 30 feet. Got up, embarrassed as hell, but walked away. All of my speed was 'forward', but had I butt slid, I would have been in the ER.

I'd strongly suggest practicing your PLFs a lot. Stand on a chair in your back yard and practice... hands at crotch, elbows in.....keep everything off your spine and roll. Do it until it's habit and you don't need to think about it.

Your post reminds me of my own butt experience. :-)

I did too many tandems in my learninng program. Like a total of around 5-6. I was taught to always lift my legs up when landing. So I developed a bad habit of doing it even in solo.

My instructor warned me several times. But I guess I was not listening or whatever.....don't know.....

Once I landed on my butt and it was pretty HARD. I guess I got a very minor hair line fracture or something on my tail bone. I walked funny for almost 3 weeks. If I hit my butt hard even on a semi hard surface, it still hurts.

You're right, PLFs are definitely the way to go. I learned that the hard way too. I didn't land on my butt, but I fell back backwards on landing, and I fractured two of my vertebrae. From now on, I'll pile in on my face if I have to. I don't care if it gets beat to shit. You can get cosmetic surgery for an F'ed up face. Last time I checked, there was no cure for serious spinal injuries, and I like being able to use my legs.

P L F People!!!!
PULL!! or DIE!!

I haven't bought beer yet as I do not know all the rules around when the noob buys the beer.

Every time you show up at the dz is a good rule of thumb. :ph34r:

I also don't drink beer so god only knows what sort of crap I would show up with.

Bring what you do drink - a bottle or two of wine or fixin's for cocktails will go over well too. If you don't drink alcohol at all, nobody will think less of you if you bring water, sodas, cookies, etc. The custom is less about the alcohol and more about hanging around getting to know other jumpers.

I actually don't think I am justifying a butt slide. What I said was that at that moment, in that situation, with my scant amount of experience, I made a decision and I got lucky on the outcome. I was referring to what was going through my head at that moment, not 20/20 hindsight.

I was going much, much faster than I expected and had I tried to put my feet down at that moment, I would have flipped over them so I pulled them further up. It was not, ultimately, the right thing to do and I know I got very very lucky.

I've already been instructed that I am to PLF when I get out of bed, when I get three stairs from the bottom of the stairs in my house, when I get out of the car, when I get off the couch, the desk chair, even when I get off the toilet. I am to PLF immediately when someone asks me what the hell is wrong with me and do I need an ambulance. My only true concern about this is what to do when my two 65 pound dogs try to get in on this new game mom is playing...

I think that there is something that you, as an instructor, can learn from me, the student. Well, you can always learn from your students and I hope you know that and never lose sight of it. The thing I'm referring to here is the way in which PLF's are taught. I had to jump off a 5 foot tall platform several times (and at a whopping 5'2" that's unnerving at first - jumping your own height). So we learn by hopping from a dead stop straight down to the ground and essentially forcing a roll. It was demonstrated to us this way as well. Because of this, you don't really see that - or how - a PLF will work if you are actually moving forward at any rate of speed. It wasn't until after my butt slide that I saw another very experienced jumper come in fast like I was and PLF over, and over, and over, and over and then get up, shake it off and unwind himself that I understood that it would work no matter how fast the forward momentum was. I haven't any idea how this could be demonstrated for students but it should be. I don't know how other classes operate besides the two places I've been but perhaps taking students out to the landing area so they can see all the possible ways to land - good and bad. Just a thought. Along with my other thought - I WILL NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN SLIDE ON MY BUTT. I SWEAR.

Yell on! I can handle it. Someone else may not be able to so I am totally willing to be the community cupcake here so that all of us noobs can learn.

Good to know about the beer protocol. I'll have my husband choose the beer for me.

I was thinking that there should be a newbie faq somewhere here or at least a thread somewhere where noobs could ask questions like this or meanings of terms used around the DZ. A good example is that I thought that 'dirt dive' had something to do with a bad landing until I asked.

Go down an escalator at a mall and PLF from the 3rd step up when you get there... that would be motion for you. Might hurt on a hard floor and you may find yourself checked into the local insane assylum, but it's an option. Or you can just ride the escalator down and mentally envision PLFing when you hit the bottom... that way you don't have to be locked up over it. It's also a good way to learn how to judge flare heights, riding escalators down and mentally flaring 10 feet up.

I have 55, 75, and 100 lb. dogs, and they loved PLF practice time :)
You don't really owe beer for the first time until you graduate AFF. And bring a case of whatever YOU will drink... beer, soda, water, gatorade, it doesn't matter, it will all get consumed.

Two questions regarding this suggestion:

1- Go to a mall?!? Are you INSANE?!? That's terrifying and stupid and dangerous...

2- Do you really and truly think that if I went to a mall decked out in a helmet, goggles, jump boots and - just for shits and giggles - an altimeter and threw myself off the escalator that someone would question my sanity? Now, if I could get a bunch of people to do it all at the same time we could call it performance art...

2- Do you think that the better option would be to find an insane assylum that has an escalator?

hmmmm....

Two questions regarding this suggestion:

1- Go to a mall?!? Are you INSANE?!? That's terrifying and stupid and dangerous...

2- Do you really and truly think that if I went to a mall decked out in a helmet, goggles, jump boots and - just for shits and giggles - an altimeter and threw myself off the escalator that someone would question my sanity? Now, if I could get a bunch of people to do it all at the same time we could call it performance art...

2- Do you think that the better option would be to find an insane assylum that has an escalator?

hmmmm....

LOL!!!! I like option number 2... much more direct.

When I was a student, this method really did work wonders for me on my landings (I did it in my head, not for real... I also value my freedom and the ability to use my hands to eat cupcakes rather than be straightjacketed. I also don't do malls... but at the time I worked at a Lenscrafters in one, so sorta worked out ok.

I haven't bought beer yet as I do not know all the rules around when the noob buys the beer. Is there a break-down of that somewhere here?

Pretty simple: beer-buying is for memorable firsts on jumps. Was that the first time your boobs have popped out on a jump?
Beer!

When I was getting recurrent a couple years ago, and was sort of a student all over again, and getting to know people, I brought beer with me pretty much all the time, and passed it around. Whenever I visit a new DZ, where I'll be meeting new people, I try to bring beer whenever I can.

Oh, and please listen to everything Jen's telling you. Then do it.

"Puppy chasers" is a reference to another thread on dz.com about when you're a "skydiver". Allegedly, a skydiver chases a puppy out of a plane to save it.

I was hoping that you'd have video from the whole jump... (boobs, you know... - I'm sure your husband would enjoy it!) lol Just joking here. Video really is an excellent tool for learning as well as tunnel time (for free fall at least).

Beer (or insert alternate beverage here) is for firsts as Andy said. First jump, first pack job, getting your license, fist naked jump, first time your boobs popped out on landing, etc. At my DZ I bought beer for 3 things at once - first pack job, first cutaway, and my license. Fortunately, these things didn't all happen on the same jump, I was just catching up.

To practice a PLF, maybe try going to a swing set at a playground and jumping off while you're moving? I don't know, I'm no instructor (obviously!) but it occurred to me that you may be able to simulate the motion somewhat that way.

>>To practice a PLF, maybe try going to a swing set at a playground and jumping off while you're moving? I don't know, I'm no instructor (obviously!) but it occurred to me that you may be able to simulate the motion somewhat that way.
:o Please don't even think of trying that. Practice with an Instructor only. They'll show you the right way to PLF and more importantly keep you from getting hurt . . .

NickD :)