TALONSKY

I Sold my baby, that I owned for 20 years

Yesterday, I parted with my very first car. I held onto it for 20 years and recently realized I had no desire nor funds in the furture to fix her so I sold her.:( When they were loading her up I almost started crying. Well atleast I got $7500 for her.

Kirk

You know, I was fine with it up until the new owner got in and started her. Then I just had to keep telling myself that it was the right choice. Right now I want to work on my house and skydiving so that car just no longer fit. It is totally amazing how an object can become such a part of you.
Kirk

I hear ya...leaves a hole!

7500 seems a little low...not to rub salt in, but I saw one for sale last year in San Diego...needed some work but everything was there...10.500...and it didn't 'look' as nice as yours...from the pic anyway.

I had a blue one...340 auto...wish I still had it AND some of the others I let go...but priorites are there and ya have to 'move on'...

I do feel your pain brother!:)

edited to add:

I always figure when I win the lotty..I'll replace them ALL!! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My first car was a '70 Challenger with a 383 Magnum and a Slapstick automatic. My best friend had a '72 Cuda.

I look around for another every now and then, but like you I already have way too many projects. $7500 sounds like a pretty good deal for both of you. What engine?

My first was a 68 Chevelle SS 4-speed w/396 CI that I bought new from a dealer for $2,800. They sell for $23,500 now in good condition!

My brother-in-law still has his 70 Challenger that looks better now than it did when it was brand new. Blue with the wide black stripes.

Blue skies,

Jim

When they were loading her up I almost started crying.

Your car is a big part of your identity. Whether it’s a restored classic or a beat up old honda civic, your car is your friend. Back in they day, it would be like putting your horse down because it’s too old and you want to put it out of it’s misery. It’s not an easy thing to do.

One car that I owned recently got hit while parked on the side of the street. The insurance company declared it a total loss even though the car could have been fixed.
I was so depressed. It wasn’t a classic like what you had but for some reason, I really had an emotional attachment to this car. It never broke down on me, everything worked and it never let me down even though I drove the shit out of it. As I pulled out of the junkyard I had to pull over. I just sat there for like 30 minutes and cried! I was so upset.

At least your car didn’t get all fucked up like mine did. Hope you find another car you can love as much as this one.

My car started its life with me as a totally ratted out slant 6 barracuda. When I got her, I was 15 and I paid a total of $235 for her. I sent the next year and half fixing her. I have pictures but not digital ones of her first build. I even spent Christmas day of 1986 from 7 AM til 9PM sanding on her to get her ready for color. I truly did not know it would hurt this much to get rid of her. I can't even buy myself anything with the money. God, it feels as if I just ended a long realationship with a girlfriend( inantimaite objects should not be this important)
Kirk
PS. I ended up buying a crate 360 with a NOS hemi 4 speed (and the got to have pistol grip) with a Dana 60 rear end.

Yesterday, I parted with my very first car. I held onto it for 20 years and recently realized I had no desire nor funds in the furture to fix her so I sold her.:( When they were loading her up I almost started crying. Well atleast I got $7500 for her.

Kirk

Dayum! that calls for a national day of mourning... or something!

Chuck

My first car was a '70 Challenger with a 383 Magnum and a Slapstick automatic.

Me too. Exactly. Ran like a scalded dog. Even with 10.5 in. tires, it would light them both at 50mph if you stepped down on it.

I made enough on light-to-light racing to pay for the new tranny. :D

Black paint and vinyl top. 5-spoke triple chromed Applicance rims. Blackwalls turned out. Chrome front/rear bumpers. On a good day, the paint would reflect 8 inches down a ruler.

An all black car in Florida is hotter than hell on Sunday.

Oh, and Vanishing Point was a Challenger, not a Cuda.

Oh, and Vanishing Point was a Challenger, not a Cuda.

Bit of trivia: The car that actually crashed into the bulldozers was a Camaro. It is plain to see a moment after the crash when the rear end is sticking up in the air.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067927/goofs
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I wish I had my first car. :(It was stolen only 6 months after I got it when I was 16. The cops never found it.

I was looking at and realllllly wanted a 68 Cuda for my first car but my mom was into NO WAY mode so I got stuck with the nice big safe 1963 Chevy Impala. Luckily my uncle did not let her know that is was an SS with a 409. Ah..growing up in the 60's was fun.. but with cars like that a lot of my contemporaries did not make it to old age.