Rebecca

Salsa dancing - got stepped on!

So, I was in Chicago this past weekend helping my brother. Saturday night we went to Nacional27, where they clear the dining area for dancing after 11. Danny is a fairly good dancer, so he took me out for a whirl.

In case you've never salsa danced, the basic move involves a forward step and a backward step. You should keep your steps controlled - no huge lateral movement.

At one point, this outta control bitch took a big step back, landing squarely on my socked foot. OUCH!! I turned to see who did that to find her taking a huge step forward and away from me. She never broke stride to acknowledge her faux pas.

I let it go. It hurt, but we're in a club, so whatever.

Then, she did it again. And she ignored me again. I pretty much screamed OUCH!! No response. B|

So what do I do? Stand up for myself? Tell her to watch her step? Demand an apology? No, I just go sit down and rest my throbbing foot. Now, I'm uselessly going over what I should have done and said, and I'm ticked off at myself for being such a chickenshit. [:/]

By the way, I asked my competitive dancer friend about knowing when you've stepped on someone in a crowd. She said there's no question about it if you touch anything but floor on a backstep. Grr. >:(

Just thought I'd share. Anyone with similar experience? How would you have handled this situation?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I think I'd have to tell her how her stepping on my feet really turned me on. Ask her if she's into bondage too...lol. Would suck if it backfired on ya' though....

Peace~
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I know when someone came scraping down my Achilles' tendon and took some skin I cried but kept going :S. It was one of those days anyway, just seemed like it was meant to be.

The floor was incredibly crowded, though -- no more Salsa classes for me because fo that. I'll stick to swing and western...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

As the lead, it is my responsibility to move my dancing partner into an open space. Everytime I do a cross body lead or any type of transition that requires more space, I have to make sure that there's enough room before hand.

On rare occations, I've found people that either a) have no idea what they're doing or b) don't care if they bump/step on other dancers. Both types bother me, though I can deal with (a) because as a beginner I'm sure I did that a few times, and all of the times weres unintentional. But (b) is another matter. If they are good dancers, they should know better.

In your case, I would've said something to them. Or just take my partner and lead her to a location on the dance floor as far away from them as possible. Then again, I might have just backed up into 'their space' frequently just to piss them off. :-)

Don't get discouraged, salsa dancing is awesome, but like everything, you gotta take the good with the bad.

~Chivo

You should have cracked her over the head with a beer bottle.;)

Here here!! Becca, I'm surprised you didn't give her a real Texas ass reaming for her inability to dance.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Thanks for the posts y'all.

Chivo - after the second time, I turned my brother to put him between me and her, but my foot really hurt, so then I sat out.

I would definitely blame her before her partner. They had plenty of space - she was just taking huge steps. I was afraid to get any closer. I do wish I'd said something though...

As I watched, I saw both good and bad dancers. Some were downright impressive. The really good ones never lost rhythm or step as the crowd grew. They didn't step on people either, they just adapted and tightened their steps.

I do like salsa, but I need to be relaxed and in the mood for it, which I wasn't.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

You should have cracked her over the head with a beer bottle.;)

Here here!! Becca, I'm surprised you didn't give her a real Texas ass reaming for her inability to dance.

Me too! I always imagine situations like that differently. I wouldn't have cracked her over the head (jail is a place I like to avoid), but WHY didn't I at least whip out the Irish and tell her where to dance off to?

Stepping on you was an accident. Not apologizing was just plain rude, and there's no way she didn't know! (unless she's got a wooden leg or something!:S)

Exactly! >:( Oooh, I just wanna slap her!

I have about a 2 square inch bruise where she nailed me!