Megatron

First Gear Advice

Hi, Im fairly new to the sport (60 jumps) and looking to buy some gear, I could use some advice as far as what to get..Im not very familiar with all the choices that are out there.

I dont have alot of money to spend so Id like to invest more where it counts and go used where I can get away with it. I was thinking about getting a new custom fitted container, and going used on the main and reserve canopies. Id like to get an ADD but dont know if I could afford it..an RSL would be nice too.
Im mostly into freeflying and formation at this stage so my container would have to be freefly safe and have some hip rings. Im currently comfortable with a 190 main (~1.15 WL) but I occasionally jump a 170 and will probably downsize at some point so my container would have to be able to accomidate both sizes.

Id like a main canopy geared towards softer, more stable openings (larger slider??)..nothing too docile but a safe, fun ride down is my main concern..not so much performance at this stage of the game. I have no intention of swooping but front riser handles are a must. A docile reserve goes without saying I guess. Any suggestions on possible Brand/Model container and canopy combinations?

Another alternative is to buy a complete system used...Ill check the classified section but if anyone has approximately what I described above please let me know...even is it's not close, I will consider buying if the price is right.

Thanks for your help!!

This question comes up a lot on this forum. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice, so I'll only address 2 issues here.
The AAD can be bought new or used. If you can afford the price of a new one now, get it. If not, get a used one with a couple of years life left, then replace it later on.
You will want to talk to your local rigger or DZO about acting as a middleman for equipment purchases. It is common for the purchaser to make a deal with the seller where the equipment is shipped to a rigger who inspects it. If the rigger says it's OK, you send the seller the money and keep the gear. If the rigger finds a problem (e.g. canopy really needs a new line set and the seller didn't mention that), you send the gear back. Either way, you pay shipping. If the seller won't agree to something like that, watch out.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Also stay away from adds that say "perfect beginner gear"! If the gear can get a drivers license it's too old.

I am not sure what the legal age for driving is where you're located, but here it's sixteen.

The gear I am currently jumping is a Javelin '93, and has over 1250 jumps. The rig is completely freefly friendly, and looks better than a lot of gear.

Now I know it is only fifteen years old, but I am certain it's not going to degrade to a pile of unairworthy fabric within the next couple months. :ph34r:

Old gear (relatively speaking), can be great, and usually had for cheap. The best thing to do if you're buying older gear, is to ask the right questions, and obviously have a rigger check it over (which should be done regardless of age).

If you need help your instructors should be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

Also stay away from adds that say "perfect beginner gear"! If the gear can get a drivers license it's too old.

While I agree that ads advertising "perfect beginner gear" many times really mean "no experienced jumper will buy this" - the AGE is not so important as the gear itself and it's condition. Not buying gear based purely on age is a very close minded and expensive move. How is a 1997 Spectre any worse than a 2008 Spectre ?