Andy9o8

Skydiving cats

OK, there's been lots of talk lately on here about whether a skydiving cat (but not under a canopy) would land on its feet at terminal. Most people say yes. I think that's a myth. Yeah, I know, cats right themselves to land on their feet even when dropped from pretty high ground-based objects - or so they say. But at terminal? Hmm. I haven't done a scientific real-world study yet (my application to the FAA is still pending). But consider the cat's 4-legged anatomy -- it's basically stuck in what, in a human, would be a permanent "reverse arch". I'd venture a guess that at terminal velocity, the force of the relative wind would overcome little Snookum's instinct to right itself, that is, the wind would act on wittle kitty-kat just as it would a badminton shuttlecock, and force Our Hero onto its back, until...well, until the jump was over. Any other opinions? Bring 'em on.

I had the same thought about 2 squirrels I watched the other day. They were chasing eachother around and around the tree. About every other minute one would fall out of about a 40' pine tree. They would hit the ground, and haul ass back up the tree and continue playing. I dont know how long it takes one to reach terminal, but I know I watched them fall from 40'+ and get up and run back up the tree for about 30 minutes!

we need the guy whose cat peed on his container to do the trial.

But you're forgetting about the tail - I can see the cat keeping the feet together and essentially falling like a ball with the tail acting as a streamer. That could be very stable.

looks like a pretty good arch in this picture.

[/url]http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1565678;search_string=cat;#1565678[url]

Supposedly cat survive better from higher falls.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Subject : Perpetual Motion

When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands buttered side down. Therefore, a slice of buttered toast is strapped to a cat’s back, buttered side up, and then the animal is dropped. The two opposing forces will cause it to hover, spinning inches above the ground. If enough toast-laden felines were used, they could be used as the basis of a high-speed monorail system.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

not myth.. several studies and much anecdotal evidence support it...

here is one link..

here is the biblography from it...

Diamond, Jared. "How Cats Survive Falls from New York Skyscapers," Natural History 20-26; August 1989.
Diamod, Jared. "Why cats have nine lives," Nature 332, 586-587; April 14, 1988.
Fredrickson, J. E. "The tail-less cat in free-fall," The Physics Teacher. 27, 620-625; November 1989.
Halliday, David, Robert Resnick and Jearl Walker. Fundamentals of Physics, 5th ed. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1997.
Mehlhaff, Cheryl and Wayne Whitney. "High-rise syndrome in cats," J. Amer. Vet. Med. Assoc. 191, 1399-1403;1987.
"Terminal Velocity," Discover 9,10; August 1988.
Von Baeyer, Hans Christian. "Swing Shift," The Sciences 30, 2-4; May/June 1990.

But you're forgetting about the tail - I can see the cat keeping the feet together and essentially falling like a ball with the tail acting as a streamer. That could be very stable.

In that case the kat would be doing headdown FF. Maybe chasing after some......Badfish?? [ducking]

I think the tail is more than just a streamer.

Cat, like flying possums and squirils use their tails like rudders and counter balances too.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't think cats arch. They spread out and bring their arms forward. The pockets under the arms function like a camera suit wing.

I worry that you people are going to be experimenting on cats. That is a terrible thing. No one wants unsightly bruises on their cat, no matter what sauce you are using. :)

I don't think cats arch. They spread out and bring their arms forward. The pockets under the arms function like a camera suit wing.

I worry that you people are going to be experimenting on cats. That is a terrible thing. No one wants unsightly bruises on their cat, no matter what sauce you are using. :)

:ph34r::D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Now the real question is what would be the terminal velocity of the cat and once that is calculated could the physical structure of the pussy withstand the impact???

about 60mph, and yes:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Now the real question is what would be the terminal velocity of the cat and once that is calculated could the physical structure of the pussy withstand the impact???

I've got 10 bucks for any one that drops a cat out of a plane at 13000' and gets video of it in FF. The cat has to live through it though.:P
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

I've got 10 bucks for any one that drops a cat out of a plane at 13000' and gets video of it in FF. The cat has to live through it though.:P

and I've got a Gray & Nichols Willow bat that's waiting for when I catch 'em:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?