speuci

How long can you leave a ZP parachute packed before in your container?

I packed my rig last week, but I might not be jumping for 4 or so months. Should I:

1) Unpack the canopy and put it in a garbage bag?
2) Leaved it packed, but unpack and repack before I jump it in about 4 or 5 months time? or
3) Leave it packed, and don't worry about re-packing before I jump it....

My understanding is that ZP canopies shouldn't remaind in a packed brick for a long time, but that F111 can...

First, federal law requires the main to have been packed within 120 days of the use, just like reserves. Except, no record keeping is required so inforcement is very difficult.

As a practical matter, I leave my rigs packed all winter and repack them before the first jump. Either option 1 or 2 is fine except I prefer to recommend a bag that can breath rather than a garbage bag. Then I also physically protect it in a box or plastic bin.

I'd at LEAST repack my pilot chute after a long gap. I have jumped several month old zp pack jobs.

Real answer? Do what you feel comfortable with.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

This is the post I just put on another thread: Question about ZP fabric

<<1) if you don't jump it for more than 3-5 months unpack it.
2) store it preferably in a coton bag to allow humidity to get out and to protect it from dust
3) store it in a dark place. Avoid absolutely long exposure to fluorescent light (it generates UV light)
4) keep it at about 72 degrees (F) and and 72% of relative humidity. BTW those to figures are what makes a house confortable.
>>>>
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I packed my rig last week, but I might not be jumping for 4 or so months. Should I:

1) Unpack the canopy and put it in a garbage bag?
2) Leaved it packed, but unpack and repack before I jump it in about 4 or 5 months time? or
3) Leave it packed, and don't worry about re-packing before I jump it....

My understanding is that ZP canopies shouldn't remaind in a packed brick for a long time, but that F111 can...

Jumped a stiletto 107 packed for over 6 months. Nice opening
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

4) keep it at about 72 degrees (F) and and 72% of relative humidity. BTW those to figures are what makes a house confortable.
>>>>

I agree that those figures are what makes a house comfortable. However, I can only afford to keep my apartment at 65 degrees F and have no clue what the humidity is. I was going to leave my rig packed and put it in a rubbermaid bin in my closet. Will there be any problems with that?

65 degrees (F) is even better than 72 and for some people it is confortable as well. Better cool than too warm. You can get a hygrometer (costs 20$) and calibrate it (you will find one where they sell clocks, telescope, binoculars) (I recommend you a "hair" hygrometer cause it's more accurate). But you don't really have to buy one. Keeping your equipment in a nornally heated house or apartment is sufficient. Just a trick: when you take a shower for 10 minutes and you see droplets of water starting running on the wall of the bathroom, this 100% of relative humidity. On the other hand when your nose starts getting dry and sometimes bleeding and it becomes unconfortable this is 30% of relative humidity. Putting your equipment in a closet is perfect but don't "seal" the rubbermaid bin cover. Let a little gap to allow humidity to get out and toss the material around a couple of times the first 2 weeks. The worst place I have seen to store a parachute equipment for weeks and months is a car trunk.
Why humidity is not good for an equipment ? Because humidity with bacteria always present in the air will generates mould and the subproduct of mould can be acidic. For people storing equipment in a basement, it is OK provided you use a device too remove humidity (especially during the summer). Basements are prone to catch humididy in the summer. On a hot humid day I can extract one gallon of water a day with my deshumidifier. You have however to keep it heated in the winter (60-75 degrees).

65 degrees (F) is even better than 72 and for some people it is confortable as well. Better cool than too warm. You can get a hygrometer (costs 20$) and calibrate it (you will find one where they sell clocks, telescope, binoculars) (I recommend you a "hair" hygrometer cause it's more accurate). But you don't really have to buy one. Keeping your equipment in a nornally heated house or apartment is sufficient. Just a trick: when you take a shower for 10 minutes and you see droplets of water starting running on the wall of the bathroom, this 100% of relative humidity. On the other hand when your nose starts getting dry and sometimes bleeding and it becomes unconfortable this is 30% of relative humidity. Putting your equipment in a closet is perfect but don't "seal" the rubbermaid bin cover. Let a little gap to allow humidity to get out and toss the material around a couple of times the first 2 weeks. The worst place I have seen to store a parachute equipment for weeks and months is a car trunk.
Why humidity is not good for an equipment ? Because humidity with bacteria always present in the air will generates mould and the subproduct of mould can be acidic. For people storing equipment in a basement, it is OK provided you use a device too remove humidity (especially during the summer). Basements are prone to catch humididy in the summer. On a hot humid day I can extract one gallon of water a day with my deshumidifier. You have however to keep it heated in the winter (60-75 degrees).

While this may be ideal...its a parachute, not fermenting beer!:D
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Because your canopy is like your baby and of course you want the best for him. Humidity and bacteria and all kind of germs present in the air have a role in the biosphere, it is to decompose all the waste, dead wood, fallen tree leaves, dead animals and even chemicals like plasic or else. You don't want that for your canopy isn't it?
Have you ever left a piece of clothing in the trunk of your car for months? I did with a cotton jacket and was surprised to see grey round spots on it. It was mould which is the beginning of a decay.

and the deterioration of the rubber bands? and chemical reaction in contact with some type of grommets in dbags. It happened to me. after leaving my main canpy unpacked for months. Glad I repacked it before jumping again. I could have had a hard-opening or a locked d-bag. B|B|B|

On 11/7/2008 at 6:31 AM, councilman24 said:

First, federal law requires the main to have been packed within 120 days of the use, just like reserves. Except, no record keeping is required so inforcement is very difficult.

As a practical matter, I leave my rigs packed all winter and repack them before the first jump. Either option 1 or 2 is fine except I prefer to recommend a bag that can breath rather than a garbage bag. Then I also physically protect it in a box or plastic bin.

I'd at LEAST repack my pilot chute after a long gap. I have jumped several month old zp pack jobs.

Real answer? Do what you feel comfortable with.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

180 days. 

It also depends on the environment it is stored. Some materials can become brittle or decay is certain conditions and also some can crease in place and not be as flexible. 

Sun, temprature fluctuations, debris like sand and dust....

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%2520105-2D.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiRj8muoI7vAhVdyDgGHeAlChIQFjABegQIAhAG&usg=AOvVaw0CdovsNL9l20Ccrs8QBOfi

20210301_152239.jpg

AC 105-2D.pdf

(edited)

Since you’re bringing back to life a 13 year old post, the AC you posted (105.2d) wasn’t applicable in 2008, the correct answer in 2008 would have been 120 days, as taken from AC 105.2c. The 180 day change came in May 2011, when AC105.2c was cancelled and AC105.2d came out. ✌️

Edited by leon.hill
  • Like 1