danielshadwick

Fullface helmets Mamba VS Freezr

I would like to buy a full face helmet specifically for winter here in Colorado. I prefer open face but would like to protect my face from how cold it gets here. IS THIS A GOOD REASON TO BUY A FULLFACE? I was thinking either a MAMBA (Bonehead) or a FREEZR (Paratec) any sugesstions?

Also i'm planning to use it for mostly freeflying.:)

I have never used the Freezr, but I did have a Mamba. It was very comfortable and super lightweight. I had some issues with being able to see my handles (in the event of an emergency) while wearing it. Probably not a big deal, but I just wasn't real comfortable knowing that I would have to rely on "feel" for the handles if something went wrong...especially since I couldn't see them while I was on the ground and more than likely they will be in a "higher" position in an emergency, making it even more difficult to see.

I have the Mamba and I don't either have any issues with seeing my handles.

Mamba is an excellent helmet for free flying since the closing pin for the visor is IMPOSSIBLE to open by misstake. It just won't pop open during frrefall. I have never even seen the freezer so I can't say anything about it.

My Mamba keeps my pretty face warm during those cold jumps and it's a great idea to get a full face just beacuse of that reason :)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Both of them seem great for people with big jaws.

Anecdotally, I know a few people who have cracked Freezr visors or broken the latch point - and a new visor is very pricey.

Mamba visor plates are much cheaper to replace, though I've already been through two replacements in ~300 jumps as they seem to scratch up fairly easily. That could be just my helmet abuse though.

Swings and roundabouts?

[edit: Yes. Winter is a great reason to buy a fullface ;)]

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

A few points about Mamba:

- to open a visor you will have to use both hands, unless you have a really large hand:))) but I think it's easier than opening Z1 with one hand in thick winter gloves:)))

-I don't think tinted visors are available for Mamba for some reason... I couldn't find one on Paragear when the time came to replace the visor on my Mamba.

-Mamba looks really nice in standard carbon fiber color, I haven't seen other color patterns besides the white one and I didn't like the look, that's why I got myself standard one:)

-I think oxygen or factory diver are more narrow-profile and their visibility range is better, but as an all-around, all-conditions full-face helmet Mamba is second to none in my openion! It saved my face from winter jumping in Russia, jumps through rainy clouds... you name it:)

But I advise, if it's possible to try on both. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Freezer, haven't even seen one in real life...

I don't think tinted visors are available for Mamba

I have a blue one :P

(Actually, I bought it by accident. The first replacement visor I bought had a blue plastic backing sheet to peel off... so I grabbed this one in the shop and went to fit it, only to discover its backing sheet was clear B|. Oh well.)

Joel
Opens his visor with one (admittedly large) hand
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I have a Maba and have replaced the lense by making my own for less than $5 each. The material came from Tap Plastics and the tools used were airplane snips and an Irwin 1/2 speed wood cutting bit (for the 2 large holes), and small 1/8 (I think) metal drill bit. Was easy to do and cheep.

I have made about 30 jumps with my freezr and both locking tabs have broken. They bend the plastic and drill a hole for the lock very close to the bend. I like the helmet and ordered a new visor, but this is the last time. Paragear has offered to send the visor back to paratec, but thats it.

I've got about a 1000 jumps and 100 hours of tunnel time with a Mamba, and have no complaints. The chin-strap closure system is bomber, the flip up lens is easy to operate and secure, it's lighter weight than other full-face helmets I have used (because of the carbon fiber), and the liner system, which is bake-able and comes with extra shim inserts, makes it easy to get a perfect custom fit regardless of the shape of your head. Sorry for the run-on sentence.

My teammates have all been equally happy with the helmets.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I recently bought the FreeZR Mk2, I've only got 3 jumps with it, but I love it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mveno/sets/72157609011930848/

I am still very much new to skydiving (11 jumps to go for my A!), so take this info with a grain of salt :)

Likes -
I wear glasses and have zero problems with fitting them under the visor. I jumped in -17 degree cold ass new england weather and the glasses didn't fog up at all. I breathed like normal threw my nose in freefall and only had a small line of fog build up on the inside visor on the bottom (a few millimeters), no icing at all.

It didn't feel like there was excessive air movement inside the helmet like I've heard people complain about.

Peripheral vision is amazing, looking up you don't see any obstruction of sight either. No problems looking down at handles, but the chin strap&pad does hit chest when looking down.

Both a good/bad is the design of the visor, it doesn't have any helmet material around it so it doesn't obstruct vision too much when you pop the visor open. But it doesn't open up completely out of sight like the Z1.

Comes with a nice soft pouch and bag.

Dislikes -
A little hard to pop open for me on the right side, but this is partly because of the gloves I was wearing also. Once under canopy I can pop the left side no problem and with just one side open it provides enough air flow to prevent fogging.

No adjustments. This was ok for me because it fit my head perfect, but I could see how this might be a problem for some. It either fits or it doesn't, the liner/pads are not swappable like the older FreeZR.

Cost of visor replacement, ouch... nuf said about that, not looking forward to replacing it.

I let my coach fly it a few times and he was utterly impressed, best described response from him was "I didn't notice anything, which is good". "If I was in the market for a new helmet I would get the FreeZR". He did note that the time he landed with the visor shut that his flaring was a tad late because he had some visual distortion. He said it wasn't that big of a problem, just something to be aware of.

Another guy at the DZ has the Mamba and said he chose it over the FreeZR because the latch was easier for him to open.

I hope at least some of this helped :)
-Matt

I hope at least some of this helped :)

Great feedback and a special dropzone.com newbie gold star to you for using the search function rather than starting a new thread.

Hope the FreeZR keeps you from freezing as you finish up your A license in the winter.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I can't get the lens up on my Mamba. Even my instructor tried. My husband got it but as hard as I try I can't do it. You squeeze the lens on both sides and push back, right? Does it loosen up a little after using it a few times?

Yup... put the heels of your hands at the outside top of the visor* and push in/together, like you have a headache, then rotate the visor up.

* To explain the hand positioning: put the heels of the hand directly over your eyes. Then, move them outward so that the center of your hand is over the outside corners of your eyes. Then move your hands straight up to the visor rim and press in/toward each other, then rotate the visor.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Have a look at the top of the visor... it's easier to get the hang of it when you know what you're trying to do - that is, distort the top of the visor frame upward so that it slips off the metal peg.

Once you get it, it's easy - keep trying :)

--