mamajumps

Ralph Hatley

I've tried several times over the years to contact that guy. Once I even left a messeage saying I was ready to buy a canopy if he would just call me back.

He never did.

Can you imagine the customer service from someone like that?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Yuppers, he's still in bizness....and good luck. He's right down the road from me but I'll only go there if I ABSOLUTELY have to. Generally, you can get good deals w/ him. But man are there stories out there of people that have been screwed.....like the rig that was bought & assembled.....only to have it opened and it had a round reserve in it....not a square. Or him selling used cypres batts as new. Just go there knowing what you want and stick with it or he'll sucker you into buying a dolphin (not that there's anything wrong with them) and a hornet that says 'call ralphs' on it. 1-800-200-jump.....good luck.
my pics & stuff!

a hornet that says 'call ralphs' on

I seem to remember hearing about that a few years ago. That he was picking the stitches out of the end cell name plates and sewing a "call ralph" on there.

Seems odd to me and it would be upsetting to buy a new canopy or even a used canopy and find that.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I seem to remember hearing about that a few years ago. That he was picking the stitches out of the end cell name plates and sewing a "call ralph" on there.

Seems odd to me and it would be upsetting to buy a new canopy or even a used canopy and find that.

better than taking Sabre2 labels and putting them on a Sabre1... And no, I do not know of anyone who has done that, but I am sure it has been done.

I personally want to do that "for fun" - put a Katana label on a student Navigator just to stir shit up. (obviously with owners permission)

Hmmm

I just called his 800-200-jump number and Cindy Answered and she transferred me to the old fart and we chatted for a few minutes...

CAll him... its business hours right now...:)
Just know exactly what you want to buy and about how much you are willing to spend... and dicker with the man..

That is always fun.

We also had a chat about who to vote for in USPA....

And I even suggested who he should vote for for President....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now that was some funny SILENCE....... something I did not think possible from Ralph:P:P

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Er...call someone else?

I'd call Ralph, I got my entire new system through him, fast efficient and good price, and I'm 10,000, miles away
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I got in touch with him last year about a part that I needed but could not find anywhere. He said that he had it in stock and would ship it the next day. It never came and I found it for half the price from someone else a couple of months later. It's a good thing he didn't charge me for it or I would have thrown a fit.

I never have a problem reaching him or Cindy either. he just answered a email of mine, Sanders was proposing Emmit for the nw write-in candidate... heheh, Tim didnt think much of that, so I told Ralph that I would write him in :D

you caught Ralph without words?.... WOW!! :P

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I contacted a number of "Used Gear Resellers" with information about what I wanted for a complete system:

ZP main between 190 and 210 sq ft.
Reserve same size or larger.
Container AAD ready
RSL preferred.

Pretty popular request, I know. Most used gear dealers I contacted never responded. Ralph at least said "Currently nothing in stock."

I contacted a number of "Used Gear Resellers" with information about what I wanted for a complete system:

ZP main between 190 and 210 sq ft.
Reserve same size or larger.
Container AAD ready
RSL preferred.

Pretty popular request, I know. Most used gear dealers I contacted never responded. Ralph at least said "Currently nothing in stock."

there's at least one I see in classifieds right now - have you contacted the sellers who have posted gear that may work for you ?

Never saw any extra stitch holes in "CALL RALPH" canopies. Those labels looked like they were sewn on at the PISA factory before the canopies were finished.

Never saw any extra stitch holes in "CALL RALPH" canopies. Those labels looked like they were sewn on at the PISA factory before the canopies were finished.

That could be the case. Still kind of strange though. Yeah, sure advertising, but I know if I had bought my Heatwave through him it would have pissed me off.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When I bought a new main, a new reserve and a new old stock reserve last year, he had the cheapest prices after calling around. I would do business with him again. I've never had a problem with contacting him, maybe I am just lucky he has always been there.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Sometimes it seems that messages get lost in the process, but it never takes me more than a couple of calls to talk to him. He's definitely got the best prices on pieces of major gear (canopies, containers, AADs, and combinations thereof), and he's quick when I need smaller stuff, even if a bit more expensive than Para-Gear. He's also quite fun to fuck with on politics, USPA, etc. :D

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I got a new Pilot 168 through him last year without any problems....actually got it quicker than when we sent my hubby's canopy in for a re-line (obviously there were other problems with the canopy that needed fixing).
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I am thinking you must have an old number, I talked to Ralph just a few days ago and he answered the first ring. I have been buying gear from Ralph for over 20 years and never had a problem. I bought a canopy from him just last summer and any time I need parts or rigging supplies I call him first because he has just about everything in stock.

If you want to pay more call someone else. I know his competition doesn't like him because he always beats their price. I even heard one dealer refer to him as "the Walmart of skydiving gear" Which is actually kind of funny;) He probably does more volume than any single dealer in the world so that is why he has the best price.

He is very busy, in addition to gear sales he also has a dropzone, he is the master rigger, instructor, pilot, mechanic, etc. I think he still runs a small newspaper as well.

He guarantees everything he sells so if you are not happy you can always send it back for a full refund, no worries.

Onward and Upward!