tofou

PD STORM PACKING VOLUME

Here's who you should contact: http://www.rigginginnovations.com/

The makers of the rig will know what canopies will fit in their containers.

PD provides canopies to h/c manufacturers for sizing purposes at no charge.

If you're not sure why, please read this article from the PD website: Pack Volume: The Untold Story.

B|

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

Call Kit at RI. She'll tell you the straight story. I've got Voodoo with Storm 150 coming as well. It's not a problem. Call Kit.

Spot, why did you go with the Storm? Just curious as I was thinking about trying one out soon..

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Call Kit at RI. She'll tell you the straight story. I've got Voodoo with Storm 150 coming as well. It's not a problem. Call Kit.

Spot, why did you go with the Storm? Just curious as I was thinking about trying one out soon..

Scott

Scott, there will be Storm Demos at the Eloy Wingsuit event if you want to give one a try.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

According Paragear catalog which uses the PIA method for canopy volume evaluation, the Spectre has 370 cubic inches of volume therefore, the Storm should have a comparable volume.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Scott

Short answer, I really liked it compared to the Pilot, Safire, Crossfire, Sabre 2, and Spectres I've jumped in the same/similar sizes.

Long answer...
After having had 6 different Silhouettes ranging from 230 down to 150, I bought a Sabre 2, don't like how it opens with a lot of weight on my head. The Storm opens more like the Silhouette, not at all like the Spectre (although many claim it opens like a Spectre). It flies more like the Sabre 2, and is very responsive. I've jumped a Storm 170 and 150, wanted to try the 135 at Elsinore but the clouds grounded us for the one day I didn't have committed student jumps. Anyway, Kim sent a 150 out to someone else at our DZ, I really liked it. so went with it. I'm keeping the Sabre 2 as well, but waiting on two Storms to be delivered any day now. :)

I wanted something with a little flatter glide, faster performance. I still very much love the Silhouettes, and have two with custom logo, etc that I'm keeping for demos.
IMO, the Silhouette is a fantastic canopy for beginning or intermediate jumping. You can get some nice little swoops if you push it, or have very docile landings.

The Storm opens more like the Silhouette, not at all like the Spectre (although many claim it opens like a Spectre).

How does it open, then?

This is totally subjective IMO. I have jumped the Silhouette from the 135 sq ft up to the 360 sq ft size(military version) and jumped the Spectre in varying sizes as well. If I had to compare the Storms openings to either of the 2 canopies mentioned I would say that it is similar to the Spectre but that it inflates quicker. Again, this is just my perception/ opinion based on experience.YMMV
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I would say that it is similar to the Spectre but that it inflates quicker. Again, this is just my perception/ opinion based on experience.YMMV

I felt like it opened a bit like a Katana. This is in that the canopy has a "high speed" feeling snivel on the top end and you're looking at it waiting for the POP at the end, but the pop never comes and it opens very gently.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I only have a couple jumps on a Katana, but I'd say your description is spot-on. You wait for a "whop" at the end, and it never happens. Silhouette is the same for me (I've got easily 1K jumps on various Silhouettes).

I felt like it opened a bit like a Katana

Dave,I would agree on the softness of the openings but I still found that the Storm 97 and 107 pressurizes faster than the Katana 107. The Katana tends to snivel longer and then quickly inflates, where as the Storm sits you upright softly and is already inflated by the time you look up at it.

I only have a couple jumps on a Katana, but I'd say your description is spot-on.

You just said a few posts above that it opens like a Silhouette. Which is it? :D
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I felt like it opened a bit like a Katana

Dave,I would agree on the softness of the openings but I still found that the Storm 97 and 107 pressurizes faster than the Katana 107. The Katana tends to snivel longer and then quickly inflates, where as the Storm sits you upright softly and is already inflated by the time you look up at it.

I only have a couple jumps on a Katana, but I'd say your description is spot-on.

You just said a few posts above that it opens like a Silhouette. Which is it? :D

Dave's comment was

the canopy has a "high speed" feeling snivel on the top end and you're looking at it waiting for the POP at the end, but the pop never comes and it opens very gently.

And in that, I agree with how the Storm opens... I don't have enough jumps on the Katana to feel like I can make any kind of a definitive comment.

I am willing to buy a new Storm 190 and will stuff that chute in a Atom Millenium 0

Would that fit?

The last chute in this rig was a 190 Electra which packed leanly in. Thats a half ZP, half lopo chute from PdF with 417 cbi (measured after PdF norm!) and 725 spectra lines.

Thanks