i_am_canadian

is this a good deal?!?

I want to buy my 1st parachute and I found this one one the net (sunshine factory). I would like to know if it's a good deal or if I should be more patient and wait before buying it.

------
(BS) This rig has been inspected by a Rigger and comes with a 20 day return policy.

The Javelin was manufactured in 1997. It has a non articulating with non stainless hardware. It does not have an RSL but has the velcro to put an rsl on. It has mini risers with mini rings.

The Triathlon was manufactured in 1996. This canopy needs a reline and the reline is the responsibility of the purchaser, however Sunshine Factory will help to get that organized.

The Raven was manufactured in 1990.

The Cypres was manufactured in 1999. It needs a 4 year check and a battery. This is the responsibility of the purchaser.
$1850.00
------

I would also like to know how much it might cost me to add the RSL (if it possible to add it?!?), how much for a reline and to get the cypress good to go.

thanks and here's the link of the web page with a picture of the container.

http://www.sunshine-factory.com/cgi-bin/data/db.cgi?db=sf&uid=default&view_records=1&ID=8287

$50 for the RSL from Sunpath (ask if the main risers have the ring for the RSL as well)
$160 for Cypres 4- year maint.
$85 for Battery
$210 for a reline + The cost to have a rigger/ manuf. put it on (varies).
$ Shipping to/from on cypres + canopy
= $505 + any shipping costs
Total $ 1850 + 505ish = $2355(+ shipping rig from sunshine factory)

http://www.sunpath.com/
http://www.cypres-usa.com/cypres08.pdf
http://www.flyaerodyne.com/fly/accessories.asp

Overall, it's an older system, and would generally be said to not be freefly friendly if you were looking into doing that. The reserve is almost 19 years old, which some would say is geting to be the end of it's life (20 yrs, but that is only some jumpers opinions). Never flown a triatholon, so could not comment on that.

Good deal? You are approaching the $2500 mark after shipping, and in my opinion can get a better rig than that.:)

We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

You may also want to check your local dz and see who is selling what. Chances are if its a bigger dz then the dzo will have a few "sport" rigs he will let go for a very resonable price. Keep cruising the classifieds I bought a similar setup to that (94 Jav j-4, 249 raven reserve, 210 spectre main and a cypress with 6 or so years) for $1500. I've since sold my Spectre and cypress and put a brand new Sabre2 190 in it for $650 out of pocket.

Keep looking you will find something.
Muff #5048

I have a '93 Javelin and it's freefly friendly. The reserve flap doesn't tuck in but I've never had a problem with it and no rigger has ever commented on it. All riggers I've asked said the rig is freefly friendly. It doesn't have to be brand new to be freefly friendly...

EDiT: This should not be construed to mean that a stock '93 Javelin is always going to be freefly friendly! If in doubt, talk to a rigger.
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/28/funny-pictures-i-come-with-sarcasm/
Proudly uncool since 1982.

I have a '93 Javelin and it's freefly friendly. The reserve flap doesn't tuck in but I've never had a problem with it and no rigger has ever commented on it. All riggers I've asked said the rig is freefly friendly. It doesn't have to be brand new to be freefly friendly...

no, it does not have to be new to be FF friendly.
what people are saying is that older javelins (mid 97 and back) needed some mods done before becoming freefly friendly. And the cost of such mods sometimes makes the OK deal be no so OK.

would generally be said to not be freefly friendly

Since when is a 1997 Javelin not freefly friendly?

If you look at the link provided, it doesn't look like this '97 has the reserve flap tuck tab and I was thinking it wouldn't have the bridle protection either. No, I agree with the statement that not all freefly friendly gear has to be new. I will also say that most people when they say the rig is freefly friendly means that there is some kind of bridle protection and both the main and reserve flaps stay secure in non-belly to earth positions. This jumper also has 35 jumps and may not know about some the the post-freefly additions (Definetely '98 javs and later).
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

what people are saying is that older javelins (mid 97 and back) needed some mods done before becoming freefly friendly. And the cost of such mods sometimes makes the OK deal be no so OK.

Agreed, my comment was more towards the general attitude you see sometimes that gear must be basically brand new to be safe. If someone is concerned about a rig they are buying, a reputable seller should make the rig available for inspection by a rigger (some people might not I suppose).

What expensive mods would a Javelin from this time period need? It needs a BOC, maybe a CYPRES pocket (most used rigs nowadays have had these mods done already if they needed it) and some extra bridle protection (this is just a piece of material on mine stitched to the bottom flap), maybe a bigger main top flap tuck tab? Did I miss something? I would imagine that things like sending the CYPRES to the factory and a reline will be the expensive part.

Finally, my rig hasn't given me any problems but it's definitely less than ideal and I also think the rig the OP is describing is too expensive.
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/28/funny-pictures-i-come-with-sarcasm/
Proudly uncool since 1982.