Jadera

Soft reserve handle?

thank you all for yur coments... it seems like (everything else) soft reserve handle has its advantages and disadvantages.. it is up to each skydiver to decide what kind of equipment to use (based on his/hers experience and awareness of various situations which can happen while skydiving)

I was going to get a soft reserve handle for fashion but decided it was better to retain my gold ring (previous owner did it). If you ended up with a piece of jumpsuit covering the metal ring I find it easier to locate. I also find it easier to apply a lot of force to the ring given a few emergency scenarios - dislocated/broken left arm/shoulder? I just think a soft reserve handle is a bad idea.

-Michael

agreed. some rig manufacturers do not have the soft reserve for a reason. I think most have a "low profile" metal option.

R

I was going to get a soft reserve handle for fashion but decided it was better to retain my gold ring (previous owner did it). If you ended up with a piece of jumpsuit covering the metal ring I find it easier to locate. I also find it easier to apply a lot of force to the ring given a few emergency scenarios - dislocated/broken left arm/shoulder? I just think a soft reserve handle is a bad idea.

-Michael

When you decide to keep the metal handle because of the reasons above. One advice, stay with the handle because you have a better feeling about it.
Personnaly I have a different preference.
There is no absolute correct and wrong, no black and white, this issue moer differnt grades of gray

(Remark: Pull your reserve with your right hand only also work)
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

Due to the way my body (doesn't) work, I now jump with a D-ring reserve handle, and will until I figure out another system *for me*. My first rig (Icon - bought new) had a soft handle by my request - I thought it was cooler and thought it was safer (for the reasons being listed in this thread pretty much - someone else grabbing it accidently).

I cannot reach any handle with my right hand alone(any being main, reserve, or cutaway). I can *kinda* flail at my reserve handle with my right hand, and occasionally it comes into contact with it, so for me, the "easier to grab" handle (with something I could maybe get a finger or two through) is a much better idea. Theres a chance i could reach the handle in an emergency with a solo right hand - with a softpad, theres next to no chance.

Anything can happen in skydiving though - I used to work with a guy who is a very capable freeflyer who survived a head down reserve deployment after someone else docked on his *soft pad* reserve handle.

I've not got data to back this up, but I suspect they are also more likely to fold under the harness than a rigid d-ring handle. Someone else might comment on this.

As someone said, they're not the magic safety bullet. YMMV. :)