c1sc0

CPR-compatible full-face helmet

We had a CPR class at our DZ earlier this year, we tried a few different fullface helmets and they were actually pretty easy to get off. As long as it's not a helmet requiring something special, like some of the custom camera helmets, don't worry about this.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a full-face helmet that can still be taken off easily by emergency first-responders to perform CPR?

I just got my annual re cert last year and there is no more rescue breathing involved, its now called CCR (cardiocerebral resuscitation). I don't know if all first responders are trained on the new protocol but we are here in Florida.
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a full-face helmet that can still be taken off easily by emergency first-responders to perform CPR?

I just got my annual re cert last year and there is no more rescue breathing involved, its now called CCR (cardiocerebral resuscitation). I don't know if all first responders are trained on the new protocol but we are here in Florida.

I was just going to mention that. Did they mention using "Staying Alive" by the Bee Gees to help set the compression pace when you went through re-cert?

Another thing to consider, and this is my first hand experience unfortunately with multiple skydiving related accidents, is that the types of accidents that would necessitate CCR usually involve a high speed impact with the ground or with another jumper. In most cases the carbon fiber skydiving helmet, be it a camera or a normal helmet, are usually destroyed to the point that their removal isn't necessary to get to the airway. Granted that rescue breathing is no longer required but another good reason IMO to check the airway, which may mean removing the helmet, is to remove the debris and blood from the patients mouth to avoid aspiration and in most cases to allow the patient to be intubated.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hmm in the course this year and the BHV cert (don't know if you have and equivalent, it's a Company Aid Giver, something like that) I got last month it's still CPR over here, although it was mentioned that if you cannot or do not want to breathe for the victim you can skip that part. Why the change to no breathing at all?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I was just going to mention that. Did they mention using "Staying Alive" by the Bee Gees to help set the compression pace when you went through re-cert?

I don't recall "Stayiing Alive" but it is a very fast number of compressions per min (100 cpm).
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

Why the change to no breathing at all?

The short answer: 1. People are afraid to do the mouth to mouth part. 2. Time.At least 16 seconds go by between mouth to mouth and compressions beginning again in a single person scenario. Its more important to get and keep the blood flowing through the body,especially to the brain and heart.

Do a Google on CCR vs CPR and there is a good deal of info some supported by the American Heart Association, to fill in the gaps.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Your question is almost a good one.

CPR following blunt trauma (rather than penetrating injury like knife or gunshot wound) is VERY rarely successful. As far as I am concerned it is a total waste of time. Before anyone asks.... blunt trauma causing cardiac arrest typically is MULTIPLE injuries for which CPR just doesn't work. Knife or GSW is often one or two really injuries that MIGHT be fixable. No, I am not making this up... last time I looked at the research on outcomes from traumatic cardiac arrest it was pretty clear. Besides...most DZs are located in remote areas...even with excellent CPR, the time involved in getting the patient the necessary definitive care is usually way too long.

HOWEVER... getting good access to the airway after a serious injury when the heart is still beating is VERY IMPORTANT. The only full-face helmet that I know of that gives quick access is the Bonehead Havok.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!