kawisixer01

Pencil whipped repack

I've always been told that karma plays a huge role in skydiving. So if you lie about something, it will come back to bite you in the butt. In this case, all I can say is to expect many bad things to occur to this rigger because of what he did ;)

You are making the assumption that Rigger A actually did pencil pack, which there's no evidence of other than Rigger B saying that is the case.... be careful crucifying people, especially in skydiving where there are a lot of egos and misleading information coming from people. It could be that Rigger A and B have similar packing styles, so it was mis-interpreted. It could be that rigger B is pissed off that HIS client dared use another rigger for a repack and is trying to protect 'his' turf. It could be that rigger A liked what he saw when he unpacked rigger B's repack, so tried to mimick it to learn something new. It could be that the rig really was pencil packed.... but given the number of options and lack of evidence, there's no reason for any of us to get involved.

The situation was extremely poorly handled by rigger B (if it was as described by the rig's owner).

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Personal opinion: going to the FAA will be ineffective, as there is absolutely no way to prove the case. Demanding your money back will also not work, and you'll have made an enemy.

Instead, simply do not ever go back to that rigger or loft. it's a small community, word travels fast. Also, to avoid this situations in the future, get your reserve repacked BEFORE you leave for boogies.

This story is one more reason that I am my own rigger. If my rigger pencil-whips my reserve, I know about it and didn't have to pay:P.

"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I have been a direct witness once about a pen repack but it has been done by a DZ operator and the worst...it was on a tandem rig (involving 2 persons when jumped). That DZO wasn't very bright (he wasn't a rigger) since he left the former seal on it while writing an unreadable signature and packing location on the reserve packing card. However the "new repack" date was clear. That DZO doesn't have a DZ anymore but he is still a tandem master.
Since the fraud was obvious, the rigger who originally really packed the reserve (the rig was back to his loft) reported the fraud to the proper Association committee chairman.
Always pull your reserve when it is due. That gives you a unique chance to "feel" the amount of force required to open it. Your brain will register that force and therefore you will be more efficent in an actual emergency situation pull.

Many years ago I remember that a famous rigger in Pennsylvania (namely, Dave De Wolf) was asking 100$ more than the regaular fee for a reserve repack when the owner omitted to pull and open it. Dave was very wise but I don't know if he ever applied those conditions.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Always pull your reserve when it is due. That gives you a unique chance to "feel" the amount of force required to open it. Your brain will register that force and therefore you will be more efficent in an actual emergency situation pull

Let's clarify that with "TRY to always pull your reserve WITH YOUR RIGGER PRESENT".
I really feel much better knowing what happened to the canopy since the pack opening. Only god knows what "these people" can do with the canopy/parts in between pulling the handle and getting the whole thing over to me. I don't want to be responsible for their cat pissing on the canopy as it lays in their living room floor for a few hours (true story)

I don't see what the problem is, other than you were charged for something you didn't get.

Personally, in your position, I'd prefer that a rigger I don't know pencil whip my reserve than actually mess with it. I'd also rather he didn't charge me, but if I'm gonna pay either way, I'd rather it be for the packjob I know than the packjob I don't.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)