mdrejhon

Washing a jumpsuit -- Jinx? Inside out? Outside out?

Hello,

It's time to wash one of my two jumpsuits...
Washing the jumpsuit cold in cold water.

The question is... is it going to jinx me? I hear this thing about it being a jinx, especially since I'm going to a bigway camp soon. ;)

And if I should proceed -- should it be washed outside-out or inside-out? (I think outside-out is better -- most of the dirt is outside, and I'd like to protect the stitchings on the inside of the jumpsuit).

Making a $400 jumpsuit last as long as possible...

I don't know for sure. I've washed mine a couple times with no problems, but there's a TI at my DZ who swears up and down that everytime he washes his, a tandem student pukes on it.
I'd wash it right side out for the reasons you suggested.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The question is... is it going to jinx me?

Time to give your head a shake again ;)

If you're going to say silly things, please don't tell anyone you're Canadian :P

Just wash the damn thing as planned B|
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The first time I washed mine was to get the blood out of it (my own B|). I was it every now and again when it needs it. Just gentle cold cycle in the washing machine, out side out. You could always handwash it.
But speaking of jinxing, I've always had a superstition about washing it just before a comp...
1. for luck
2. in case it does come apart the week before comp in the washing machine.

So yes.. it will jinx you!

Spend the $10-15 to get it dry cleaned.

I'm pretty sure that some jumpsuits are NOT dryclean-friendly. Check with the manufacturer. In fact, check anyway, and find out what the manufacturer recommends. Don't listen to us. (except for me).

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

so glad that you put "Jinx" in the subject or I would probably never had opened this thread.... 1st of all our sport and love of SKYDIVING is not the place for wondering about any type of JINXs!!!

GOOD and BAD Karma maybe, but that really has to do with how we interact with other HUMANS nots just planes and jumpers.... In other words we "reap what we sow" :)

Are any comps that WE compete in being judged on SKILL, accuracy, "style" (no not the clothing) or are they about how clean our gear is?

This isnt little league baseball where if we wash our socks before the CHAMPIONSHIP our team will lose that game....

Or is it???:|:P

wash the damn suit and wear it proudly or stay on the ground, because we have other more serious concerns before we board and exit the jumpship....

peace and best of LUCK!!!;)

ps; be glad this isnt my 13th post....

never heard of any jinx.....[:/]:|

wash it when needed
BUT be sure to DO... what I once, DIDN'T do.....:o[:/]:(:(.....
and that is...
to take the altimeter!!!! out of the leg pocket!!!!!...
Altimasters...... definately NOT designed for 'underwater " use...B|B|:|:o

jmy
charter member... " idiots extraordinaire" club.

Do your jump buddies (and their noses) a favor, wash your jumpsuit once in awhile. It's made to withstand a lot of abuse so it should wash well. As needed or at least once a month during the Summer...all of (mine & hubby's) jump clothing goes in the washer with a colored terry towel, regular detergent (Tide, Era, etc.) on gentle cycle, WARM wash, (cold water doesn't clean anything well) COLD rinse. I pre-treat any grass stains the day before with Shout and fasten all velcro before washing. Hang to dry. Been doing it this way for 5 years to the same clothing, NO stains or odors and everything looks nearly new! :ph34r:

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

actually it wasn't so bad

the suit got cleaned,,,

and Altimaster took the old one in trade for a new Galaxy, giving me 50 $$$ credit...( i got a neat BLUE one..);)
plus they sent me a cool t shirt...for free..
plus i learned a lesson.. and never did THAT again...:oB|;)
Plus... NObody got hurt...:)

jmy

Washed your altimeter huh? Bummer. That was an expensive wash load.

Hopefully the rest of us will learn from the story and not do the same thing ourselves. So far all I've washed in my jumpsuit is some pullup cords and ear plugs.

One guy at my DZ decided to wash his rig, and ended up giving his Cypres a bath. I think he's now decided that paying his rigger to wash the rig in the future would be cheaper ;)

We wash our student jumpsuits here at Skydive City about once every two weeks. Regular cycle, not turned inside out by most people who get stuck with that duty.

Wash your stinky-ass, dirty suits! I wash my RW suits when they get stinky and stiff enough to stand up. Since they are mostly white, it's easy to tell when they are dirty.

Chuck

Brand new Firefly freefly suit: body, white, major stripes of purple and royal blue with flourescent green pinstripes. I've washed it twice now, on cold, delicate and hung it up to dry. Colors did NOT run - suit looks fine.

(Btw, directions say to dryclean, most likely due to fading of colors. Time will tell for me.)