Blink

Secondary riser covers on Odessey's?

I thought I read somewhere that the new Javelin Odyssey's came with secondary riser covers, but I haven't seen them on the Sunpath website anywhere, am I just mistaken?

If so, my next question is why hasn't Javelin incorporate them yet? Are they really necessary? or over rated?

Before anyone tells me to email the manufacturer, I have already emailed them recently about another question several times, and have yet to recieve a response (over a month since first email).

I thought I read somewhere that the new Javelin Odyssey's came with secondary riser covers, but I haven't seen them on the Sunpath website anywhere, am I just mistaken?

If so, my next question is why hasn't Javelin incorporate them yet? Are they really necessary? or over rated?

Before anyone tells me to email the manufacturer, I have already emailed them recently about another question several times, and have yet to recieve a response (over a month since first email).

I think their name itself suggests that they are SECONDARY - as in not MANDATORY. so yes, you can do without, but I agree that they are nice to have.

I don't think they are overrated - think of them as side airbags - you are not very likely to need them, but when you do, they are nice to have :)

Never seen secondary riser covers on any Javelin.

They are not needed because Javelin primary riser covers are so deep.

You have to look back to the first rig that had secondary riser covers: Vector 3. Remember that Vector 3 primary riser covers are shallow near main toggles, presenting a risk of main toggles wandering out where they could snag.

Most other rigs: Atom, Centaurus, Concept, Dolphin, Genesis, Icon, Javelin, Mirage, Quasar, Racer, Sidewinder, Sigma, Student Vector 3, Talon, Wings, etc. have deep enough primary riser covers that toggles remain fully hidden.

Hi Blink,

At PIA/Reno the Javelin guys were showing the 'new' Javelin with the Skyhook & the 'new' riser covers.

I think they called them 'flying covers' or something like that. The pockets that the tabs go into are no longer rigidly mounted on the yoke. They are now mounted on a flippy-floppy piece that comes from the inside edge of the yoke & upward from the reserve top flap.

Does this help; or is that just a ridiculous description that no one can understand? :S

JerryBaumchen

I've packed one Odyssey with secondary riser covers, and the owner told me that it was an experimental (okay, "minor change") design. The design was similar to VSE Infinity, but did not fit as well because of the shape of the pilot chute well.

Mark

Thanks guys for all the replies.

Yours definately makes sense, I assume you mean they're now similar to the Wings or Vector flaps. That's too bad, I actually like the original long riser covers better (when compared to the Wings independent flaps).

Hi Blink,

At PIA/Reno the Javelin guys were showing the 'new' Javelin with the Skyhook & the 'new' riser covers.

I think they called them 'flying covers' or something like that. The pockets that the tabs go into are no longer rigidly mounted on the yoke. They are now mounted on a flippy-floppy piece that comes from the inside edge of the yoke & upward from the reserve top flap.

Does this help; or is that just a ridiculous description that no one can understand? :S

JerryBaumchen

I was still with them when they were toying with the idea. Produced about 20 rigs with them, one being mine. They determined it was not necessary as some else mentioned. I think there are about 12 rigs out there with them, (I sold mine). I left Sun Path one year ago but unless I am mistaken the secondaries will not be produced. They were actually pretty clever, the length of them was not as deep as the reserve tray so I had some packers that didn't even notice them. They laid so flat that unless you knew they were there you missed them. Some folks complained assuming it would be to bulky, I thought the design was fine, but again, not necessary.

I do not think that they are unnecessary. I have seen the riser covers open on a few javelins before. Why do they not have a similar design to a vector 3, mirage or infinity. I feel that they are behind the curve for the following: no secondary riser covers, main flap is not tight and flops loose quite a bit, even if fitted w the correct main. I think that these are standard features nowadays and they are missing out. I sold my javelin because I did not feel safe with mine due to what was stated above.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!