Isfrael

Skyhook and ADD?

NO NO NO NO DO NOT trust an RSL to save your life.
If you think that only pulling the cutaway will save your life, you have been taught wrong.

An RSL is a back up device that can, has, and will fail in the future.

The ONLY thing that will activate your reserve to save your life is your left hand pulling the reserve handle(most of the time.)

And a Sky hook with an RSL should not interfere with each other.

ralph

Don't worry, I don't even put a seconds thought into my RSL or AAD once they're correctly hooked up/turned on.

Just pointing out to a newer jumper that a standard RSL is designed to activate your reserve in a cutaway... the way he worded it sounded like the biggest positive of skyhook is that it does exactly that (activates reserve in a cutaway).

Would it be possible to use both a skyhook and AAD?

A skyhook and a aad have nothing to do with each other
In other words they do two different jobs. Yes you can have both..

Skyhook is nice due to, you pull one time and your done... hopefully.

Rls and skyhook are the same thing. The only difference is the skyhook uses your main as a piolt chute So the reserve comes out faster. A Rsl uses your main to pull your pin. You need to talk to the instructors that you are working with because if you are just pulling the cutaway thinking you are done you are doing something wrong. NO MATTER WHAT SYSTEM YOU USE . you need to pull silver every time!!!

But say a diver is knocked out and can't pull; is that one of the sacrafices you have to make when using a skyhook?

Again skyhooks and AAD's have nothing to do with each other in that aspect . If you are knockout your AAD will fire and your reseve opens thats it

Please talk to your instructors about this
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Would it be possible to use both a skyhook and AAD?

Yes to your question.

Learn more about your gear. Ask your instructors for some additional instruction. It's important to know how and why it works.

Also, never rely on the skyhook or any RSL to open your reserve. Pull the reserve handle as you were trained. If you should have a total malfunction, pulling the cutaway handle will not deploy your reserve. Have your instructor show you why.:)

Thank you all for flaming me! lol.

with seriousness though, my instructors have taught me well, it's just the new jumper within me looking for a safety crutch that's being ignorant. I know to never rely on this technology to work. I apologize for my ignorance. the student rigs only have AAD's anyways, and I've been told, firmly, to never rely on it. At the end of the day, I am responsible for my own ass, and nothing else.

Thank you all for flaming me! lol.

You're quite welcome.:)

Seriously, I worry when anyone says "just pull one handle and you're done. Not to harsh your buzz, but there's been many fatalities due to that idea. Knowing how your gear works, and doesn't work, is fundamental to surviving. Take it from an old fart.;):D

it's just the new jumper within me looking for a safety crutch that's being ignorant.

Not to flame ya either... you do seem interested in learning which is definitely a good thing.

You may want to use the search function on this site...there is tons of information available on topics like this, that have been thoroughly discussed.

Go through the old threads and asks follow-up questions that pertain to your level and situation, you'll learn more that way and probably be able to ask questions that get less :P's in the answers.

Keep up the good attitude and that safety first mentality, you'll be an old skydiving fart too someday! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

-snip-

ralph

I am curious why one would want both an RSL and a Skyhook. I thought those two were essientially the same thing. I understand the RSL pulls the reservere pin and a Skyhook pulls the pin and extracts the reserve pc.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Skyhook uses an RSL to make it all begin, in the cut away of the main and extraction of the reserve freebag situation.

An RSL, not in a Skyhook device, only pulls the Reserve Pin in the cutaway main situation.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

-snip-

ralph

I am curious why one would want both an RSL and a Skyhook. I thought those two were essentially the same thing. I understand the RSL pulls the reservere pin and a Skyhook pulls the pin and extracts the reserve pc.

Skyhook connects like a RSL to the riser. So in that way they are the same thing.

Here is a link on how the skyhook works
Dont know how to make the clicky thing sorry

http://www.uptvector.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=85&Itemid=70
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

A skyhook is an RSL with some extra stuff on it.

Yeah. A couple of doo-hickey's and thing-a-ma-jigs.

Bill, obviously this is not addressed at you. But I am just totally amazed (almost daily) how LITTLE people tend to (or care to?) know, or actually learn about the very gear they choose to (supposedly) save their lives. :S
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Skyhook is nice due to, you pull one time and your done... hopefully.

I'm hoping you have been trained in more depth than that... if not, please consult your instructors. In a total malfunction or PC in tow, for example, the skyhook will not pull your reserve.

Apologies if you know this already.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Yeah. A couple of doo-hickey's and thing-a-ma-jigs.

Bill, obviously this is not addressed at you. But I am just totally amazed (almost daily) how LITTLE people tend to (or care to?) know, or actually learn about the very gear they choose to (supposedly) save their lives. :S

you and me both, they guy has 200+ jumps and doesn't know the difference in AADs and RSLs:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If you read my thread "An unususal malfunction" on this forum you could read that I had a total mal and pulled my reserve handle which is equivalent of an AAD firing which cuts the loop in the sense that in both cases the reserve pilot chute takes charge of pulling the reserve bag out of the reserve container. I was equiped with a Skyhook which released automatically as designed. If you have the chance to look at a rigger packing a Skyhook equiped reserve, ask him to show you how it works. It is very simple. No rocket scientist diploma needed. You can see it at work at the UPT VECTOR web site.
Skyhook 2 modes:
1) in case of cut away the Skyhook a) pulls the non riser RSL cable to make sure you are free both side risers from the main parachute b) pulls the reserve pin c) pulls the reserve bridle making the reserve deployment in 75-100 feet instead of 150-200 feet. The reserve free bag/bridle/pilot chute assembly stays generally attached to the main parachute and therefore you are chasing one assembly instead of two.
2) in case of a total mal when the jumper pulls the reserve ripcord handle or if the AAD fires, the reserve pilot chute is responsible to launch the reserve bag and the Skyhook is designed to release automatically from the RSL still in its place.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I agree watch the vid on UPT's website. Pay careful attention to the part with guy suspended in hanging harness and Bill Booth cutting him away to show how the skyhook works. That video if watched a couple of times will answer your questions as to how Skyhook works. It did for me. I think it will save alot of lives, as long as people think like the old days. THE ONLY THING SAVING YOUR LIFE IS YOU! Backup systems are great as long as there only for backup.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Pay careful attention to the part with guy suspended in hanging harness and Bill Booth cutting him away to show how the skyhook works.

The only part of the video that I remember with Booth demonstrating anything with someone in a "hanging harness" is a demonstration of the Collins lanyard, not the Skyhook. Is that what you're thinking of?

Every Skyhook equipped rig includes a Collins lanyard, but the 2 things are not directly related.
Owned by Remi #?

Thats what im refering to. as i see it the Skyhook system is nothing but a fancy RSL with a collins lanyard. once the cutaway is initiated the collins lanyard releases the left riser if it hasn't already then the RSL portion pulls (IN skyhooks case the freebag bridle) the pin. It's at least to me clear in the harness part of the video how the C.L. works and the rest of the video how the main becomes the pilot chute. Easier said than typed!!!
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!