mountainman

It was a good run...

Well, after our first jump almost 5 years ago at SGC and then the past 4 years spent at Skydive Wayne County, my wife and I are calling it quits. I have logged a whole 89 jumps in almost 4 years and she has only logged 67. We just live too far away to make it a regular thing and with a new baby and a more expensive hobby taking up my funds (flying), we are closing this chapter in our book.

I just wanted to say HI and BYE to all the folks here that I've met and that have helped me out. I haven't been around much lately, but that's only because I haven't jumped much either. I jumped once yesterday after a year without a jump. The thrill just wasn't there anymore. Yes, it was fun to fly through the sky WITHOUT a plane and the canopy ride was awesome, but the thrill that makes the risk worth it is gone.

Thanks to Sangiro for this site where I've learned a TON, thanks to the folks at Richmond and SGC and to all the folks here who I know and have met here and in Chicagoland.

I'll continue to take friends and family down to Richmond for tandems. I have a few friends who want to go and it'll be fun to be there with them. The only bad part is that we're going to loose over $1500 on our account there. Suck!

B|

Blue skies, all!!

P.S. Once I sell all our gear on the Classifieds, where is the link to send Sangiro some bail money? I owe him after 5 years.
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

I saw the ads for your gear, and wanted to know the story. Thanks for telling, and thanks for having been here. At least your still in the air, and hopefully you drop in on us here once and a while

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

The only bad part is that we're going to loose over $1500 on our account there.

Is that an agreed to policy or sumpin?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The only bad part is that we're going to loose over $1500 on our account there.

Could you not work out a deal with the DZO and another jumper so they can buy the credit off you?

where is the link to send Sangiro some bail money?

Donations.

Best of luck with your new interests. If you buy a plane make sure it's certified for door-off operation B|.

well, Sorry to hear that your leaving the sport but at least its YOUR choice. and at least you had the opportunity to taste the experience. good luck with your new kid. have fun and stop in once in a while
My photos

My Videos

The only bad part is that we're going to loose over $1500 on our account there. Suck!

If they don't let you "sell" the credit to another jumper or refund the credit (assuming you paid them cash in the first place for that money on your account) - then that DZ just sucks... I mean, they have to understand you are making a life decision to move on and raise a family, and that takes as much balls as it does to start skydiving... Come on DZ, pay the karma forward...

Thanks to Sangiro for this site where I've learned a TON,

As have we all.

Good luck, Brandon.....at least you're replacing it with another expensive hobby, so you can retain that same 'where did my paycheck go' feeling. :)

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Mountainman,

I don't know you, but may I suggest that "stopping for now" is not "stopping forever" ?

Lots of us were avid skydivers in our 20s-30s, then set it aside to do other things. For some, it was a family. For others, it was a demanding career.

But you know what ? There's always time to come back. The kids will grow up. They'll become autonomous. You may just find yourself scratching around for something interesting to do one day, and stumble across your old skydiving photos.

The guy that helped me with my reentry into the sport recently is 72 years old. I'm 50. I'm having just as much fun with this as I did when I was a devil-may-care 20-something ( maybe more fun. the gear is sooo much better !)

Anyway, best of luck to you, and we'll see you in a few years, I'm betting ...

;)

shall

....I don't know you, but may I suggest that "stopping for now" is not "stopping forever" ?
Lots of us were avid skydivers in our 20s-30s, then set it aside to do other things. For some, it was a family. For others, it was a demanding career.
But you know what ? There's always time to come back. The kids will grow up. They'll become autonomous. You may just find yourself scratching around for something interesting to do one day, and stumble across your old skydiving photos.
......Anyway, best of luck to you, and we'll see you in a few years, I'm betting ...

What he said!! I swear I was just about to post the same thing (because it was my experience too) but he beat me to it by about 2 minutes. Mountainman, we're going to look you up in about 10 or 15 years. You'll be all stressed from teaching that "new kid" of yours how to drive...thinking about some way to relieve all that stress...and..hmmm...
As far as we're concerned, you're not leaving...you're just taking a sabbatical.

As far as we're concerned, you're not leaving...you're just taking a sabbatical.

Why leave at all?

I for one enjoy your posts...

Hell, ya might be a diver drive yourself one of these days!

Keep in touch!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

We understand. You might want to keep a rig in the back seat of the plane you're flying. :ph34r: You know about those perfectly good airplanes.B|
Cherish the jumps you've made. Which is a LOT better than Joe Whuffo. Most of us will be here when you come back.

I'm not sure if I can transfer the money or anything. I know that it is non-refundable. I may check. They are always fair, but in the skydiving industry, I understand that all income needs to be accounted for. It would be very hard for a DZO to return it...especially since it has been awhile. We'll find out what they say. :)

Thanks for all the well wishes. You're right...it doesn't have to be "Bye" forever, but there are a LOT of hobbies I still want to do (SCUBA, mtn bike, ski, etc etc etc) and I don't have the time or funds to do them all. We'll see!!

Later. :)

EDIT: I have sent an email. The grand total looks to be $1750. Ouch. B|

I'm not sure if I can transfer the money or anything.

Whether the DZ wants to transfer it should not matter. Essentially you just have to tell the DZO that you want to pay for John Doe's jumps from now on. You make the arrangement with John Doe about how he pays you.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

or he can simply say. I want what I paid for and I paid for nothing.

now give me my money.

Brandon,
did you actually purchase jump TICKETS or jsut start an account up there?
if they are tickets then I imagine you may have to sell them to someone, even if you take a hit on them you can still get soem money back.

if they totally screw you, you can post their info here and I for one will NEVER jump at that dzo's dz;)

businees is business but screwing someone is bullshit
My photos

My Videos

Hey guys...thanks for all the well wishes again. Yeah, I remember doing all those AV's for awhile and such. I sure wish I lived closer to the DZ. I know I'd continue jumping. Ah well... the world is my oyster.

As far as the money on account, two years ago my wife and I paid for 100 jumps up front @ $18 a piece. However, we only used about 5-10 of them so far. Good planing, eh? We'll see what happens with it.

:(

I made the choice between flying and jumping. I chose jumping. Flying is MUCH more expensive and I wasn't willing to make the sacrifices it takes to make it a career. Watched my brother struggle for too long. Anyway............hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the well wishes. Yeah, I guess between the two I can use flying in my business as well as personal use. Lots of friends can enjoy it too. That, and it is 10 minutes from my house as opposed to 2 hours.

What does your bro do now? Reason I ask...there is a guy at the local airport that flys a 310 for a local business man. He resembles you quite a bit.

Later!

What does your bro do now? Reason I ask...there is a guy at the local airport that flys a 310 for a local business man. He resembles you quite a bit.

are you saying this guy is a loud obnoxius drunk?
or that he is into beastiality?
or that he's an asshole?

I mean when I think of clay....HAHAHAH!

(j/k Clay)
My photos

My Videos

Yeah, I guess between the two I can use flying in my business as well as personal use. Lots of friends can enjoy it too.

Flying is ultra cool. I just got back from my 3rd flight in the last five days after a 2+ year layoff while I ... well as you can tell from my profile ... jumped my ass off. I logged 1.9 hours as PIC and made 12 touch n' go landings in the process and it cost me just under $200. For the same $200 I could have made 10 skydives and taken up the entire day instead of my 1.9 hours (plus the time to pre-flight ... bla ... bla ... bla ... bla). So I still think that skydiving is more affordable and I love flying my Velocity 103 high-performance swooping machine more than I like flying Cessnas (don't be mistaken, flying is way cool and I can share my flying experiences with friends).

and it is 10 minutes from my house as opposed to 2 hours.

Shit 2 hours is nothing (granted my current commute to my local DZ is only 35-40 minutes). But I have been known to travel 10+ hours from metro Denver to Twin Falls Idaho to jump from the Perrine Bridge (a site to make legal BASE jumps from). So your 2 hours isn't that bad you know. But I'm not going to judge you. Skydiving is not CURRENTLY in your heart and that's okay. Skydiving is NOT for everyone and like I said in an earlier post, you're still in the air. I'm not sure how current I will stay with my flying this summer, but one of my goals is to get my tail-wheel endorsement in August once a friend who's a CFI and has his own Citaria gets back into town because a tail-wheel endorsement will open up a shit load of cool and slightly more affordable aircraft for me to fly in the future.

Once again, good luck with your flying dreams and you can always get back into skydiving in the future.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over