stitch

Talon 1 D9 ???

Has anyone ever heard of a D9 size for a Talon 1??

I insisted that that the numbers started with a "T", but the owner says that's what the tag says.

Any idea on volumes for this??
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Has anyone ever heard of a D9 size for a Talon 1??

I insisted that that the numbers started with a "T", but the owner says that's what the tag says.

The owner is correct. RI didn't start using T's in their sizing until the mid-90's.

rigginginnovations.com All original Talons (sometimes called Talon 1's) used confusing numbers and letters to designate container sizes, if you are looking to buy, get something of a later manufacture.

I jump an original Talon from 1990, size D13 - though it has been updated. Not exactly freefly friendly, but it's solid and it does the job quite well.

I like it - it didn't cost me an arm and a leg, and the harness is surprisingly comfy - under canopy. ;)

T.I.N.S.

Talon sizing started out with a letter designating the reserve container size and a number designating the main container size.

Rigging Innovations never sold any "A" sized reserve containers and they had so many hassles with "B" sized reserve containers that they issued several service bulletins, replaced dozens of pilot chutes for free. Part of the problem was weak springs, but the root of the problem was large diameter pilot chute springs trying to launch from reserve containers that got smaller every year.

To solve that problem, R.I. completely redesigned the Talon series in 1994. '94 Talons incorporate a lot of Flexon technology including the Stealth pilot chute with a small diameter cap.
'94 Talons and Talon 2 are designated by "T?". For example, my Talon 2 T5 was built for an Amigo 172 reserve and a Sabre 1 - 170 main canopy.

Rather than start a new thread, I am adding this announcement to an existing Talon 1 thread.

As of New Year's Day 2017, Rigging Innovations will no longer support Talon 1 and Telesis 1 containers. That means no spare parts and no factory repairs.
Production ended about 20 years ago (mid-1990s).
They can be identified by the size mentioned on the data panel, usually a letter for reserve size and a number for main container size. For example, the largest Telesis 1 was "F18" sized for 300 square foot canopies.
OTOH the smallest Talon 1 reserve container was "B" sized for Micro Raven 150 reserves.

Talon 1 and Telesis 1 (student version) have 6 flaps in the reserve container and large pilot-chute caps: Talon, Skyhook, Magnum, Vector 2, etc.

Where do I get a refund? I paid 1000 nothings for my Talon and I'm angry! Can I trade it in for a 0% discount on a Curv? Bloody RI ending support for twenty year old container! It's not like I know someone with a whole fleet of ex-demo rigs I can use for spare parts, damn...