3 hr dual flight ground
Books, material, CD ROM incl.
Private written exam
FAA Examiner fee check ride
3rd Class Medical
Minimum cost: $6,647

Cessna Pilot Center

Minimum cost: $6,647

That's about twice what I spent to get my PP ticket four years ago.

Join a flying club and find a good independent instructor, you'll save some $$.

In a 172 and with 100LL prices what they are (wet rates are going up) That doesn't sound as unreasonable as it would have even a year ago. The schools have eaten the fuel increase for as long as they have and are having to raise prices now.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

I took my training about 7 years ago and it ran me about $2900 bucks to complete mine. Tri Cities , Washington

If the airport is in a good location just spend the cash. Flying never gets cheaper!!!
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Those are pretty honest estimates.

There are things you can do to make the best use of every training dollar. The most important is to arrive prepared for the lesson.

It's hard to remember everything that happens on a training flight, just like it's hard to remember what happened on a skydive. I plug a tape recorder into the intercom to help jog the student's memory. You could even rig a camcorder looking over the student's shoulder at the instrument panel. My wife has a video of her first solo!

The lowest hours of any of the primary students I sent for a checkride was 55. He flew with me twice a day.

Before each flight, we went over questions he had from listening to the tapes.

If you get your training at a quiet airport, and do most of your flying in areas with few airspace restrictions and communication requirements, it might be possible to shave off another 10 hours. Only problem with that situation is that after you get your license you'll need some additional instruction before you'll be comfortable flying into airspace like the area around Los Angeles.

Harry Leicher
2004 CFI of the Year
FAA Western Pacific Region
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

I am gettting my masters degree at the moment but When I am done I am getting a PP license. The cheapest cost I can get here is about 8k and that is through the university where i am getting my masters.. at aregular school it is more likely to be between 9-10k.
Puerto Rico is mad expensive when it comes to stuff like this....
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

Thanks for respones all.
However, just found out that these quotes have changes and was told nobody does it in 40 hours.
So, Private Pilot est. cost is between $8-10,000.

Estimated Instrument rating is $7,981.

They don't have 10 hr blocks, years ago it I went to place for $595 10 hr, then it went up to $695.

Single 1 hr instruction is $250 !..
So, it all on hold !..

depends on how fast you learn, and how much time you can take off from work!! I work full time but I still try to take time from my work week to get a lesson. It's going to take longer if you do the weekend thing, as most likely you will forget certain things and need repeat training etc.

The last time I checked (a few years ago) the national average was more like 75 hours to get a private. But at a part 141 school, if you're flying often, you can do it in far less (legally in as little as 35 hours, realistically somewhere between 40 and 75).

At a non-141 school, you won't have things like phase checks, you probably will spend less on books/CDs, and you might not have nearly as much organized ground school. I really only had a few hours of real logged ground school. The rest was either learned from books or just as parts of each lesson, and not paid for separately. At a 141 school, you'll have much stricter requirements for what you learn and when you learn it.

I prefer the style of a non-141 school. Kinda works at your pace, not theirs. But chances are you will do it in fewer hours (at probably a higher price per hour) at a 141 school.

EDIT: I had 100 hours when I got my private. Soloed with 50. Course I soloed at 16 and got my private at 17, so the hours just sorta built up...

Dave

Hi Gary,
Sounds cool but a 172 is 4-place, yer payn' for 2 M-T seats every minute!! That's Y they made Cessna 150's and Piper Tomahawks!! The $ end is probably fair for todays economy but I shutter the thought that the same Cessna 150 that I rented for $15/hr wet at Long Beach Airpt. CA in1978 is still flying!! and now rents for $50+/hr!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hook up with Itllclear Harry Leicher (a post or two up the list) and you will get the best deal, learn more and spend less money!! (Bar none!!) My recomendation if you can, get your first 10 hours in a J-3 Cub or 7AC Aeronca Champ or the like!! Solo the thing if you can!! Then getting into a nose wheel plane will be "EASY!!!" Doing it the other way will be a bitch!! I learned in a 7AC Champ in 1962 and it was the best!! 3point and wheel ldgs are a blast!! By all means if your instr. doesn't kick you out of the nest (solo you) within 10 hours either you are a dufus or he is ,"Milking You Big Time!!!!!!!" (Bar none!!) Have fun dude and keep us posted on your progress!!
PS, Got my Private SEL 06SEP79 at LGB CA from Jim Thurston (Check pilot) I flew out of Long Beach Flyers over in the SW corner of LGB by Old Dan Foley's place!! Those were the daze!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hard to say, it depends where you live. I know that would be high for my flight school and we fly new airplanes that are better equipped and more comfortable than that klunky old Cessna.

The myth of part-141 schools is that you will spend less because you can get your license in less hours. The reality is you will spend just as long or longer, and have more ground instruction to pay for as well.

20hr for the dual is almost worth it in the price. my privat alone was 4200 here at OSU in oklahoma.

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

woops... only for the private... little much in the price i think... I thought it was packaged with 40 hours dual engine time... dumb ass mee.

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche