jmidgley

Singer 20u missing the odd 'zag'

Hi

I have a Singer 20u that I'm just starting to use. I find that it occasionally fails to hook the thread, always on the right hand side - more often on wider zig-zags.

I have the service manual, and I've checked as best I can the hook - needle position at each end of the swing. Although I have a wide variety of measuring implements I haven't got any means of checking the small vertical distances between needle eye and hook. The gap between the back of the needle and front of the hook is right (ie 0 to tiny).

Do I need to persist in improvising some way of checking the hook position, or are there other things I need to check first?

Cheers
John

careful with the wider zig zag man. Mine goes out of time pretty quick unless I keep it small.

It that is the case, then the machine is out of time to begin with.

1. To properly set the timing, remove the zig-zag to make a straight stitch.

2. Then set the needle bar height and stroke.There should be match marks on the needle bar for this.

3. Lastly, set the hook to the needle. The point of the hook needs to be centered in the scarf and directly behind the needle.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Well. Good news and bad news. Now all the right hand 'zags' pick up perfectly - but it occasionally misses the left hand ones!

The odd thing is that if I set the timing up correctly with a straight stitch, using the timing marks on the needle bar, then the needle just hits the bottom of the scarf when the needle is far left. By tweaking the hook round clockwise a fraction, it makes this worse, of course, as the needle has risen another 0.5 mm by the time the hook arrives. Judging from where the hook passes through the scarf when the needle is far *right*, it looks as though I could just drop the needle bar 2-3mm and that would fix the problem, but then that would mean the timing marks are wrong.

Fun, isn't it?

John

......it looks as though I could just drop the needle bar 2-3mm and that would fix the problem, but then that would mean the timing marks are wrong.

Are you using the correct style of needle?
It should be either a 135 X 7, 135 X 5, or DP5 style.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Are you using the correct style of needle?
It should be either a 135 X 7, 135 X 5, or DP5 style.

Cheers,
MEL

The same thought occured to me, too, but I've checked and they're right.

Anyway, I decided to set everything back to 'default' and work my way through the service manual. There were a few things out - the needle wasn't centred properly, and the swing was unequal either side. The feed dogs were set to rise too high. I'm pleased to say it sews perfectly now, and rather quieter than before. I might treat it to a new hook, and I'd certainly like a straight stitch plate and foot.

Many thanks for your help.

John