freeflysteve

hard opening sabre2 135

Had a very hard opening on my Sabre2 135 resulting in slipped disc at about C8 awaiting scan to find out exact damage.
It happened 2 weeks ago when jumping camera with stills and video resulting in numbness on my left side and tingling fingers,first real slammer with the sabre2 in over 400 jumps on that canopy,normally a nice snivelly opening and end cell closure resulting in slight off heading.
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

Just got out of hospital and now have a little titanium cage in c7/t1 after fusion of prolapsed disc.
Approc 3 inch scar in my neck but that is the only discomfort.
Have been advised no skydiving for at least another 3 months.
:(

Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

Sorry to hear that dude hope you recover quickly.

I see patients everyday that screw up there surgeons work. At least 3 months off and I would think twice about wearing a camara for 6 months to a year. If you don't let this fully heal and be extra careful with it you could end up with chronic neck pain. I see this all the time and it's usually avoidable. Don't mean to preach just want you to have a good result from all this.

BSBD
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Ouch. That sucks for you man. Forget the skydiving part, a slipped disc is something that really makes life hard. I slipped a disc and find that i try to lie down whenever i am in a position to sit, for example on the couch. After being on my feet for 4-5 hours my back is agony. Slipped discs are no fun. They dont ruin your life but having back problems makes life alot more uncomfortable.

Hope you come out without the agony i suffer.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Only thing that we/i think happened is slider wasnt properly stowed so bottom skin of canopy caught the air rather than the slider and an almost instantaneous opening was the result.That combined with a flat top pro loaded with digital stills(canon 10d,20mm lens and video didnt help the situation!!!.

Thanks .
To continue the story six weeks after and one week before i was due in hospital for surgery i had a head on car crash!!.
This resulted in both myself and the driver of the other car being cut out of our cars by the fire brigade.
I was in a bmw X5 and he was in a jaguar xk8.Both of us travelling at about 40mph.He was in a diabetic coma so just kept on going me i just thought wtf.
Got a broken rib more back trouble and lots of bruises oh and no car!!.
Anyways op went well just can feel the other injuries now.
Guess no more skydiving for at least 6 months and now probably no more camera for a while after that if at all.

Thanks .
To continue the story six weeks after and one week before i was due in hospital for surgery i had a head on car crash!!.
This resulted in both myself and the driver of the other car being cut out of our cars by the fire brigade.
I was in a bmw X5 and he was in a jaguar xk8.Both of us travelling at about 40mph.He was in a diabetic coma so just kept on going me i just thought wtf.
Got a broken rib more back trouble and lots of bruises oh and no car!!.
Anyways op went well just can feel the other injuries now.
Guess no more skydiving for at least 6 months and now probably no more camera for a while after that if at all.

Fucking hell!!! Are you always this lucky in life?

Man, you having a bad year mate. I hope things turn around for you.
Let me know if there is anything i can ever do for you. UNlucky bro!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Could have been a better year but the upside is i have time now to train for a static line instructor course and, more importantly, also to spend more time with my daughter who now has 49 skydives and will be my impetous to still turn up at the dz.
So watch this space!
;)

I wrote on a post in this forum the following :

( There are several factors contributing to the opening forces like : canopy type, pilot chute size and fabric, line stows length, right sort of rubber bands, the way the slider is placed, the jumper position at opening, use of tuck tabs on riser covers...One can read about it on Performance Designs web site.
What can likely happen is that the slider moves down a bit on the lines when doing the 3 folds and bagging the canopy. A slider just one inch away from the stoppers can make a really hard opening. Therefore, at the bagging one should comb the lines up in order to make sure the slider is still against its stoppers)

I wish you a fast recovery. Doctors can be overprotective (or self protective) and ask you to stay quiet for too long sometimes. Make sure you have several persons advice before resuming your skydiving activities like, physiotherapists, sport medecine clinic doctors, physiatrists...
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Just got out of hospital and now have a little titanium cage in c7/t1 after fusion of prolapsed disc.
Approc 3 inch scar in my neck but that is the only discomfort.
Have been advised no skydiving for at least another 3 months.

Welcome to the skydivers fusion club. Mine is c6-c7.

BTW: seriously think about 6 months with no skydiving not 3. The good news is that you should be able to jump again. Wearing a camara is highly questionable though.

Dan BC who has had a fusion too gave me some good advice. He highly suggests dacron lines to help mitiagte the impact of openings.

I have dacron lines on my sabre2 and a Katana which is a very soft opening canopy.

It will get better. Hang in there.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Just an update.

Had my last visit after op and given the all clear.Dont have to see consultant until next year.

All being well will start jumping in April but without any cameras! and back to my original rig and canopy which is a spectre 150.

looking forward to it with trepidation.

Thanks for all the input.

Steve