arcane

PD Storm

Hi,
i'm thinking of getting PD Storm 170 with the casual CF kit, i'd also like to use the canopy for wingsuiting (when I get enough experience). Can anyone forsee any potential problems with this idea/steup? (ie - retractable PC, dacron lines etc.)

Many thanks

R

Hi,
i'm thinking of getting PD Storm 170 with the casual CF kit, i'd also like to use the canopy for wingsuiting (when I get enough experience). Can anyone forsee any potential problems with this idea/steup? (ie - retractable PC, dacron lines etc.)

Many thanks

R

Not at all, the Storm is a great wingsuit canopy. I have used the 107 and now the 97 Storm specifically for wingsuiting. If you're used to using a retractable PC it won't be a big deal. I know of a several European wingsuiters that use basically a CRW set up for wingsuiting without issue. Just make sure everything is tucked away nice and proper when wingsuiting and no worries.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

i've been using a Storm of late, and like it very much. Most of my jumps are wingsuit jumps. I don't have the CRW setup that it appears LouDiamond has...Mine is a standard sport setup with a kill line/standard 9' (wingsuit) bridle.

If you're used to using a retractable PC it won't be a big deal. I know of a several European wingsuiters that use basically a CRW set up for wingsuiting without issue.

Make sure that the CRW bridle is still long enough to deploy behind the burble of wingsuit. Typical sport bridle lengths are fine, just keep in mind that smaller canopys with CRW retractable Dacron bridles have short bridle lengths overall.

I use my Storm 190 for wingsuiting exclusively (that's all I do, pretty much). It's been great - nice on heading openings, good response to toggle input, good flare (but as has been noted elsewhere, you need to flare all the way - I was in a bad habit of "half-flaring" with my Sabre2 210).

I have the non-CRW model. As was pointed out previously, make sure your bridle length is long enough (true for other canopies as well).
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I have a Storm 135 that is the CF Storm and just started wingsuit with it. The canopy has the three rings on top for the retractable bridle but I do not use it for freefall. I have a standard bag and collapsible pilot chute. I did have to replace the slider with a standard zp slider instead of the mesh slider it came with. Your pack volume is going to go up with all that dacron and tailpocket. Hopefully your container can handle it and not create an issue deploying the d-bag from the container. That would be my only concern, have fun with it