ntrprnr

The parents found out...

I'm a 32 year old guy, living in New York City. Single, 2 cats.

BTW, now would be a good time to tell them you're gay.:P:D

HA! Too funny. I've gotten that more times than I'd care to admit. But no, straight. Makes it even worse that I have good fashion sense. :)

OMG you still have my quote up there, lol :D:D:D:D:D:D:)

Hehe yea. We don't have any whipped cream at my bar so noone has been asking me for any blow jobs ;)

Sounds like you need to go over someone's head and get some whip cream so the bar can stop cock blocking your blow jobs :D:D:D:D
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I'm lucky, my parents are very supportive.. Not many people have mentioned this, but I think it makes a difference when the people close to you support you and your skydiving habbits. I know if I started to BASE jump, for instance--a far riskier affair--I don't think I would be in the right mindset if I knew it really upset my parents. I guess when you're starting out (indeed at every point of your skydiving career), every little extra peace of mind helps.

But anyway, you're a grown boy--you can suck it up and cut the umbilical chord!!! :ph34r:
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Don't lie to them - skydiving is not safe.

Jen

What she said. I used to spout stuff about the drive to the dropzone being more dangerous than the jumping, but I've lost enough friends in the last few years that I don't say that any more.

I would point out to your parents that, sad to say, most fatalities happen through carelessness. If they know you to be level-headed and responsible then that should help. But they'll probably only start to relax when you've been jumping for some time and you haven't suffered so much as a twisted ankle. So make that your goal!

ok ALOT of people were saying that TIME will help them deal with it.
that IMO is flat0out WRONG.

EDUCATION will help them deal with it.
so far the only thing they know about skydiving is what they see on MAXIMUM EXPOSURE and the NEWS

GIVE THEM SOME FACTS. yes, Of course it's dangerous but bring them to the DZ, buy them a book (by DAN poynter)
do some research on the sport for you own knowlegde. YOU KNOW people are going to freak out. BE PREPARED TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS, FACTUALLY. even if one or two of them are stacked against your favor.

you are a CEO apparently you can get poeple to work for you, we'll get them to think with you as well.
unless you work for yourself and are a one-person company then you have to deal with changing peoples minds quite regularly.

eduacte you parents on the REAL numbers of the sport and I'm sure they will feel a little better.
if you just to keep them in the dark they probably won't be able to sleep.

give them the information and let them decide what they want to do about it.
My photos

My Videos

My mom flipped her shit when she found out I had started AFF, everytime i tell her about it, she tells me "she doesnt want to hear about it." I've given her details, facts, and invited her to watch me jump, but she said she can't safely watch her "baby" jump out a plane for fun falling towards the earth...

Dad on the other had supports me completely, I wouldn't say he's happy about it, but he's excited that i'm happy and loves that I'm addicted.....although the money that i'm spending on it, hes not happy about....haha oh well
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

:)I was talking about the shots, I don't know where you guys and gals get this crazy stuff :D:D:D:D:P:P:P:)

you seriously dont know where we get this stuff from? come on now, how long have u been on here? :P

I still don't know what you are talking about??? :S;):P Skydivers have the utmost respect for sexual based discussions :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Skydivers have the utmost respect for sexual based discussions :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

yeah your right, it would be wrong to take something you said and turn it around on you... I'm sure NO one here would do a thing like that. :D

It's ok paige, I fully support your decision to like anything for any reason you so choose! ;)

as long as you support my decision to hear/read what I want! :D
----
-God, you are the perfect amount of dumb...

I never realized how lucky I am / was to have supportive parents!

I started jumping when I was 18, they always came out to watch..take pictures...brought food and beer to the DZ a couple times a month.

I didn't realize other people had such hard time.

I asked my mom once if it bothered her any,
she told me.."I just gave you life, what you do with it is up to you..."B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You take your parents to the "talk".
after few seconds of silent, you tell them that you got something very important to tell them.

few more second of silent.

and than - you tell them that you are transvestite.

Just before they get the heart attack - you tell them that you were kidding, but you decided to try skydiving.

I'm sure they will be happy.

......They freaked beyond all possible belief.
.......Basically, how do you get them to stop worrying?

You probably can't - if they're inclined to freak that bad. Some people simply cannot, will not deal rationally with their kids' or spouses' skydiving. I never told my mom when I started jumping Way Back When at age 18. She was (and is) far too hysterical a person to have dealt with it.
"Time"? "Education"? Ha! Wouldn't have worked with her. So, I just kept it a secret from her. (I did tell my dad & sister. Waste of time; totally unsupportive.)

You're a 32-year old CEO now? Live your own life, do what makes you happy, and maybe the best thing is for you and them is to simply not discuss it any more.

And if they ask you anything else about your life, just tell them that you're happy and....well, happy.

I got in trouble a lot as a kid.
I broke my arm in a fight in the 5th grade.
I broke my ankle racing dirt bikes in the 10th grade.
I got aressted several time my junior and senior year
I went to jail when I turned 18 for a while.
I got out of jail and went to college.
I raced the superbike circuit for several years crashing more than a few times.
I got my EE degree.
I started an engineering company.

and then I started skydiving.

I conditioned my parents well, I think!

However, they were a little concerned when I started BASE jumping, but they know I'm going to do what I'm going to do and they respect my judgement even when it's wrong.

Your parents aren't always going to approve of everything that you do in your life. It's only natural, that they disapprove or dislike something, that you love to do. Obviously, you are also capable of doing/achieving plenty of things that they are proud and happy about.

Furthermore, as close as you may be to your parents, they don't have to be heavily involved in every part of your life. Just let them know that you are safety conscious, and that skydiving makes you very happy and fulfilled. After letting them know that, try to not talk too much more about skydiving, when you are with them. If they bring it up (in a bad way), you don't need to feed into it by arguing with them or anything. Try to listen to them and to their arguments, even if they are ridiculous, and thank them for their concern.

When a little time has passed, and they have calmed down a little, if they are interested and are able to listen rationally, explain to them how seriously the process of learning to skydive is taken. Let them know, that you can choose to be safe and/or a "conservative" skydiver, which decreases you chance of injury or death. With your achievements/actions in other parts of your personal and professional life, let them see that you can still be a successful, rational person, who just happens to love this sport.

It's very difficult to not have loved ones' support in this sport, but you should accept that they may never come around. Above all, don't let this become a barrier between yourself and your loved ones. It's not worth it because as much as you love this, it's just skydiving. Your interaction with your loved ones (such as parents, siblings, spouse/SO, old friends, etc.) should always remain important.

The first time I tried to start skydiving (2.5 years ago), my mom flipped a lid. Not because of safety issues because of finances. My parents were still helping me pay for college, so I got reamed with a guilt trip on my parents having to take out a lone. I didn't tell them about the next two (at which point I ran out of money) or the tandem I did with a bunch of friends last year.

It was different when I started again a couple months ago. I was awarded some fellowships for grad school, so two days before I started pursuing my license, I told my mom that this is something I really want to do and finally have the money to do in addition to breaking off from the 'rents financially. Now, both my mom and dad are very supportive. They know it is something I enjoy doing and want me to be happy. I usually don't tell my mom when something doesn't go absolutely perfectly, like an unstable exit or a less than flattering landing, because it makes her nervous. But they like to hear about my jumps and eventually I'm going to drag them out to watch. All in all they've been great even if they do worry about me. They know that I'm my own person and have the right to do what makes me happy. :)

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci~

I've had the fun of telling them twice. Once when I was eighteen. They wouldn't give me their permission when I was sixteen, so I had to wait two years until I could go on my own. Then again at age 47, when I returned to the sport after a 22 year layoff. "Who the hell do you think you are, George Bush ?!?! You have a family, blah, blah....". It was worse the second time around. When I broke my leg they hoped it finally cure me of the habit, but that didn't work either. We live on opposite sides of the country, so I don't bring it up and we don't talk about it much. My dad's always been better about it, mom has always been just awful. I try and remeind them at least I'm not cheating on my wife with some floozie.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !