mailin

Do you jump with low-timers?

something just occurs to me... I bet female low timers do much less solos then male low timers.

Not really. There was one far more experienced jumper than me who frequently jumped with me, occasionally got me into 3-4 ways with more experienced jumpers. I learned a lot this way, but once he found out I was married, he never talked with me again. Not that I was hiding that I was married, I just assumed that he knew considering that my husband also jumps and we are usually found in near proximity of each other.

I have a hell of a time finding more experienced jumpers willing to jump with me (or any newbie). There is a group of 6 or 7 of us with jump numbers from 80 to 100 that end up flying together since few others are willing to take the time out to do so. There are a few, but they deserve their more complicated fun jumps too, not spending all day working with us.

So, we've been doing 2-3 ways, one 4 way, all easy, just rounds or mirror jumps, or practing matching fall rates or diving after each other. We usually run our jump by one of the DZ owners to confirm that we are safe and get some pointers. We didn't jump together until running it by a couple of coaches who jumped with us when working toward our As first.

All of us have improved by learning from each other, but we all think we'd learn even more if some of the more experienced guys were a bit more willing to work with us. I'm sure it doesn't help that none of us like to bother the more experienced jumpers by asking for a jump or two.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Not really. There was one far more experienced jumper than me who frequently jumped with me, occasionally got me into 3-4 ways with more experienced jumpers. I learned a lot this way, but once he found out I was married, he never talked with me again. Not that I was hiding that I was married, I just assumed that he knew considering that my husband also jumps and we are usually found in near proximity of each other.

Ok, that's just wierd... I'd still be happy to jump with someone even if they are married/dating someone else. I don't skydive to pick up women... I do it because its fun... of course I'm still a low jump number person... :P:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Ok, that's just wierd... I'd still be happy to jump with someone even if they are married/dating someone else. I don't skydive to pick up women... I do it because its fun... of course I'm still a low jump number person...

Yeah, that was a little weird too. The first time I heard of that happening at our DZ. He's a nice guy too, I miss learning from him. The rest of the guys I jump with are primarily single and don't care about marital status. The other girls I jump with definitely don't care ;)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Yep. I love jumping with low-timers. I love seeing the look on their face when they achieve something they never thought they could. I love seeing their reaction on the ground to a kick ass dive.

Well then I think you need to jump with me! :P;) Of course, I will probably screw up whatever it is we're trying to do, but I'll have fun trying! B|

I actually feel very fortunate to be at SDC where many, many experienced and downright AWESOME skydivers offer to jump with newbies every day. I was doing 2-ways and 3-ways right after I graduated! :))
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Ironicly, as a newbie I now only like jumping with people who have at least several hundred jumps. I now try to avoid jumping with other newbies, because I have and they just lack any idea. :|

One of my instructors gave me this advice when I got my A - he recommends mixing it up a bit - jump with people who are much better than you so you can have some successful skydives, and see how it should be done.

Also, jump with people who are at or near your level, so you realize how much your instructors and the people who are much better than you are compensating for your lack of experience, so you really know what to work on. I find I'm most likely to have fall rate matching issues when I'm jumping with other newbies. I'm not arrogant enough to think it's (entirely) their fault - I realize it's because the more experienced folks are much better at compensating for my fast fall rate and I need to continue to work to get better at slowing my fall rate.

Yep, same here. I quickly learned how awesome my instructors were when I started jumping with other rookies! But I think it is good to jump with them so I have to work harder to fix my problems. (But then if I want to actually have a chance at completing the dive, I'll definitely jump with someone A LOT more experienced than me! ;))
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Ive only jumped solo 4 times since I graduated from my AFF course, I hope one day if I ever actually have something to pass on that I to would do for others, that others have done for me in this sport.

I've only jumped solo ONCE! Jumped solo & pulled high on my pack job for my A, and have never jumped solo since! :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Yep. I love jumping with low-timers. I love seeing the look on their face when they achieve something they never thought they could. I love seeing their reaction on the ground to a kick ass dive.

Well then I think you need to jump with me! :P;) Of course, I will probably screw up whatever it is we're trying to do, but I'll have fun trying! B|

I actually feel very fortunate to be at SDC where many, many experienced and downright AWESOME skydivers offer to jump with newbies every day. I was doing 2-ways and 3-ways right after I graduated! :))

Done! Be at SDC the weekend of July 30th. I'm hoping to make it down on Friday to jump some since I always have to leave early for work on Sunday. We'll get in a few 2 ways and when you're comfortable work up in numbers. B|
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Done! Be at SDC the weekend of July 30th. I'm hoping to make it down on Friday to jump some since I always have to leave early for work on Sunday. We'll get in a few 2 ways and when you're comfortable work up in numbers. B|

Awww bummer! I'm out of town that weekend! :(But I'll be there August 7th! You're on for those 2-ways next time I see ya! :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Jen,

If the "suppossed" skygods refuse to mentor new people, they'll be jumping alone sooner than they think. I always try to jump with as many people as possible as I want to learn something on every jump.See you in August?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Oh yes, definitely! Can't wait!

I'm looking forward to it very much - that day jumping with you guys is still my favorite day by far. Its so cool to get to jump with people willing to work with you :)
Thanks again!

Jen
Arianna Frances

if i am jumping with someone i have never jumped with before, i DO ask for jump numbers! while i thoroughly enjoy jumping with low-timers, i have a standing rule that i will jump in a group that contains only one "wild card". i don't want a group jump to turn into 2 or more groups. i want to know where EVERYONE is on breakoff and pull.

if you jump with more than one unpredicatable skydiver, you are asking for a serious increase in risk. i have had way too many close calls in the past where i didn't care how many newbies were on the jump.

from the newbie's point of view, (s)he can't learn much while being faced with the complexity of trying to stay relative to more than one person at the same time. adding another low-timer to the jump makes it impossible. the jump turns into one of failure, rather than success, and exposes everyone on the dive to unreasonable danger.

Yes Yes Yes,
If I'm not coaching I'm jumping and its normally with low-timers. I do camera so they get a chance to see how they fly.

I don't know you testpilot, but just from this post, I sense that you are one helluva great guy....for all us newbies...thanks.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS cannot be obtained in a windtunnel. be careful how many low-timers you put on a jump! breakoff, track and pull can be disasterous when things get squirrely...

what about those instances where 2 people both have 180 deg off-heading openings, and the good separation you got from the track turns into a near-collision?

i've been there at least 4 times i can remember, and the skill and awareness gained only through jump numbers saved our lives.

i have coached at least 100 new sitflyers. i remain humble and aware that my skills are mediocre, but i have had great success teaching...

i ask that you reconsider doing solo sitfly. until you see it on camera, you won't believe how far you move across the sky in a slide. even when you think you have the discipline to sitfly perpendicular to the line of flight, you are going to find yourself intruding on other jumpers' space.

when i see solo sitflyer newbies, i make it a point to offer them at least one jump with video, so that they can see firsthand what i'm talking about. most often it leads to 3 or 5 jumps with me to get them stable enough to be in control of the heading throughout the jump, regardless of how well they can drive, turn or brake.

i consider this my contribution to the dz & our sport as a whole, and find it extremely rewarding that i was able to help this person in a very short amount of time. learning freefly solo is a recipe for disaster in my humble opinion...

come to sandy eggo and i will offer the same to you!