grue

Your longest "out" landing?

I was in the 2nd-to-last group coming out of the Connie at Quincy. Jump run was a straight line at 140mph with 90 people getting out.

"Can you give us a ride to the airport?"
"Sure. This is exciting, we've never had someone land this far out."
"What's that smell?"
"We just plowed 1.5 tons of pig manure into that field that you landed in."

Also, last weekend we landed off and the guy who picked us up had 2 German Shepherds in the back of his sport-utilility with us. We were really sweaty and the dogs kept trying to lick our faces/necks.
:P

This was back in age of steam. You know, round parachutes, sage green gear and spotting actually meant something.

We were going to do a little four-way dive from 12,500. It was cold, sort of cloudy and windy -- November, I think.

Carl was going to climb out and hang from the strut. I was going to be out last. As Carl was side-stepping out toward the end of the strut, I heard someone yell, "Carl! Go!" I looked up in time to see Carl, with risers, lines and sleeve strung back horizontally from his shoulders.

He had time to glance back in with a sort of quizzical expression on his face, then he got yanked back off the step. Luckily, he didn't hit anything on the way back.

But he was open at 12.5, with a ParaCommander and a stiff breeze blowing from the west. At our little island DZ, we had water on both the east and the west sides !

The rest of us went ahead and jumped ( hey, it's sky! ).

Carl "spiraled" until his arms were sore under that PC, and finally landed about 10 feet into the surf line on the beach!

Now *that's* an out landing !

shall

;)

I think 5 miles was the furthest for me - that's what happens when you start to set up a 9 person tube in an otter when the exit light goes on. Imagine fitting all 9 people inside the door with no one outside and only three people deep. Luckily it is on video from someone that was behind us in the plane - you can hear him laughing and say "it worked."

It was November so there was nothing but open fields for us to land in, flagged down the first pickup truck and was almost back to the DZ when the first chase vehicle passed us by.

Very strange opening up and doing a 360 looking for home....and not seeing it.

I completely blacked out on my first. Don't ever remember letting go of the strut. A very loud "LEFT TURN, LEFT TURN, LEFT TURN" from my chest radio made me come to and actually realize what had just happened. Needless to say, I got no canopy play time that jump.

The very first time I was to spot for myself, still on student, I was a little nervous, but feeling confident. Actually had the dzo playing jm for me so I figured I couldn't screw up too bad. I was right, too, didn't screw up, too bad. This is a little single cesna dz, and as we reach altitude I take over. Didn't take me two seconds to find the runway, i called for slight correction and waited for the perfect spot. While I was waiting the dzo tapped me on the shoulder and asked me where I was heading. When I pointed out the runway he laughed and asked me what the hell I thought that other strip of pavement we were flying over was. I was a bit embarassed but I still JUST made it back onto airport property. Turns out what I thought was the runway was actually a dead end road a mile or so further west. Oops:$

Truman Sparks for President

Holy shit! It's Whisker Biscuit! :D The wierd thing is I found this post because I got a sudden suspicion that I should search for a username including the word "flank". :S It's about time. Now quit spending all your time lurking the Women's Forum! :D

Edit to add: Hey, that bloody, scab-encrusted woman you were hanging out with last week called me yesterday asking for your phone number. I gave it to her. You're welcome. B|

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

i once watched a 60-something way and as they exited everyone at the dz was saying "i bet not a single person will land here"...

they were right. all 60-some people landed off. it was hilarious:D:P

I've been on a load like that. It was a POPS record attempt, all 44 of us landed 8 miles out. Roger Nelson was spotting.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

For sure it had to be the South Dakota boogie @ 2000........
Let's just say that the "industrial haze" was VERY thick, and i was on load one for the day....
Me and a friend (we both had around 50 jumps) had a great jump, but there was no DZ in sight.... anyway we both ended up trying to land in a "full grown" corn field... (you'll only make that mistake one time. B|) we ended up being just a little bit over 13 miles from the dz.....:D:D:D
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

We once went up for a cross country at Waller, TX, about 3 DZOs ago. Bad info on the winds and I landed about seven miles out. Got a ride on the back of a Gold Wing with my entire rig stuffed in the trunk box.

Another long spot (CRW dive back in the day when I did that chit) was at a place called Marseilles IL. (You can see it in my log JUMP 470) I knew I wasn't going to make the dz, and I noticed a large gathering of people and RVs below. Did a demo into the RV place instead. They were thrilled, so we went back to the DZ, loaded up and jumped back into the place again. I was on vacation at the time. We (wife and kids) ended up spending the night at the demo site. The "out" was several miles from the DZ.
B|
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Back in '80 or '81, Martin Caidin decided he wanted to set up a "wingwalk" on his Ju-52 trimotor for Ripley's Believe it or Not. A bunch of Gainesville-local skydivers helped him set it up. I arranged for mountain climbing-style rope to be used to make a truss that the folks out on the wing could hang onto.

Anyway, he wanted to make a practice run with about eight of us ( the goal was to get 19 out there for the "record" ).
See http://www.facesproject.org/dz/images/04_ripleys.jpg

So, we loaded up, went up to about 7,500 well west of Keystone Heights airport, then turned in toward it for jump run.

We climbed out. I was last or second to last, standing on the rear of the left wing root. There was a handy metal bar to hang on to and it was an nice ride up amongst the usual Florida puffy cumulus.

Then, while we were still 5-7 miles from the airport, Caidin turned on the smoke generators (used for airshows) -- the "emergency jump" signal.

We sort of groaned and looked at each other and then leapt off the wing one by one.

After opening, we saw we were over lovely Florida swampland. One narrow two-lane road snaked east through the swamp. Luckily, we all landed along the road.

We caught rides from the locals back to the airport and all was good.

The "emergency" ? Caidin felt the vibration from the disturbed air over the wing and didn't want to push the 50-year old antique plane too hard until he'd had time to analyze it -- and make sure the sheet metal wasn't coming off ! :S

shall B|

doing 40 ways at Sebastian 2plane loads and only a handful made it back to the dz. 5 of us landed at a construction site. We had no idea where we were. A pickup pulls up with a couple in it. " We saw you from our house and knew you were not going to make it to the airport. Do you need a ride?"

We bought them a few beers when we got to the dz.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Early 80s, jumping at Netheravon, Salisbury Plain, UK. DZ running 2 piston Islanders, both climbing to altitude and the cloud cover went to 8/8. Geordie Laing decides to give the exit by radio from the ground by listening to the aircraft, both now at altitude. Gives the exit to the wrong aircraft that I was in and we landed at Pewsey, 9 miles away, in the midle of a fete that was happening. They all thought it was an official demo!

doing 40 ways at Sebastian 2plane loads and only a handful made it back to the dz. 5 of us landed at a construction site. reply]

On that jump, I made it back to the near edge of the golf course. I was turning into the wind over a water hazard when someone came screaming through downwind to swoop the pond. :o