freeflyimpaired

The Cops just stopped by...

I did a demo jump today and on the way back, rather than fly back to the DZ, I just jumped into a buddies house. Notam filed, perfectly legal jump into an area of town I'm very familiar with. Impressed the neigborhood, hung out for a while and hitched a ride home.

2 hours later, door bell rings and a very friendly officer wants to know if I am Joe Reinhard. Asks if I did a parachute jump into such and such an area earlier today, I say yes. He says "oh, thank god" apparently they've been searching for my body for a couple of hours. Concerned bystanders called the police after watching me come close to the ground and fall out of my parachute (hook turn).

So my phone is still in my truck at the DZ the entire time. Meanwhile my wife's phone is ringing off the hook with other skydivers, who have been contacted by the airport authority and state patrol, and are trying not to worry her but still find out if I'm alive. She calls our friends whose house I jumped into and finds out I'm fine. She informs my skydiving friends that I'm OK and they tell her that she needs to call the state patrol because they are sending out a helicopter to assist in the search. She calls and everything is now fine.

So that made for an exciting end to a good day. My only concern now, is that future demo jumps around town may be monitored more strictly by airport authority. All because some whuffo (who had no idea what they saw) sent the police on a two hour manhunt.

Hope your weekend is as exciting as mine.
Joe.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

This sort of thing does not just happen with parachutes. Every year the air guard does a low fly by with a kc135 for a pass in review for the govenor. And without exception some idiot will call 911 claiming that the plane crashed.

Death is so permanant, and I'm just not ready for that kind of committment.

future demo jumps around town may be monitored more strictly by airport authority. All because some whuffo ... sent the police on a two hour manhunt.

And because some skydiver didn't tell anyone else what he was planning. [:/]

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

Honestly, would you prefer the alternative? What if something did happen and you were lying hurt (or worse) in a field somewhere but no one was looking? Maybe next time you could make a simple "I'm fine!" call to the dz after you landed safely. (Maybe they should have asked you to do that or maybe they should have had your buddy's number just in case.) Then the police could have been out fighting crime instead of looking for you for two hours.

I'm not saying it was your fault, but think about it. Whuffo sees something scary, calls police, they look for you, check with the DZ and they ALSO do not know where you are but your truck is in the parking lot unclaimed. Don't blame the whuffo and is it so wrong if future demos are more closely monitored?

I definately appreciate the concern of the people who called on my behalf. I'm afraid my post may have come off as I was upset at them, I am not.

And because some skydiver didn't tell anyone else what he was planning.

Notam filed, in communication with control tower, DZ knew I was doing the jump, and friends on ground were expecting my arrival. Who exactly didn't I tell? Would you like me to put out a press release next time. Our club members do this kind of thing on a weekly basis I have jumped in and around the Lincoln area several times, and I did everything the same way. My wife was able to contact me on behalf of the skydivers by calling our friends who I was with, and the police were able to find me through the Notam that was filed. A little phone tag and the problem was sovled.

Flame me all you want but I don't feel anyone handled anything in this situation incorrectly and it was resolved quite quickly, (1hr 45min) I just thought I would share an interesting story.

Sorry,
Joe.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Next time don't forget to file a NOTAWISO

NOTICE TO WIFE AND SIGFICANT OTHERS

That is some advice I will remeber next time.;)

Thanks.

Well i think its disgusting. You filed all the right papers and you had a good time. Next time please don't share your stories in bonfire. :D:D
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Sounds like a case of people being nosey. You filed the right paperwork, that's all good in my book. So what if you didn't tell each and every citizen of Lincoln what you were doing. The NOTAM is all you needed. Glad you had a fun adventure. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

No one handled the situation incorrectly including the whuffo who called the police. BUT, now that you realize that can happen, why not make it a practice around your club to make a simple "I'm OK" call when you land by yourself away from the dz? I mean, if you had unintentionally landed out due to a bad spot or high winds, you wouldn't just stop at a buddy's house, have a beer and go home would you? Why not treat a planned solo demo the same way?

I think it was a great story and thanks for posting it!:)
I work at a hospital and every Monday I test the emergency generators and almost every Monday someone calls the fire department to report a fire because exhaust smoke is shooting out of the roof! Now HFD just drives by and waves at me!:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

No one handled the situation incorrectly including the whuffo who called the police. BUT, now that you realize that can happen, why not make it a practice around your club to make a simple "I'm OK" call when you land by yourself away from the dz? I mean, if you had unintentionally landed out due to a bad spot or high winds, you wouldn't just stop at a buddy's house, have a beer and go home would you? Why not treat a planned solo demo the same way?

I think Tigra just needs someone to say to her.....Yes, you are right and you have a good idea and I will keep that in mind and thank you!:P:P:P:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I'm sorry. I guess I object to the idea that the whuffo who called 911 was "nosy" or did something wrong by calling. We had a fatality at my DZ a couple of years ago. No one knew she was missing right away because she told her friends she'd be taking off as soon as she landed. Plus it was a weekday and the DZ was pretty quiet. (No one standing around outside watching landings, etc.) I only wish some "nosy" whuffo had seen something odd and called 911. Probably it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but she wouldn't have been alone (dead or alive) for as long as she was. It still breaks my heart to think about it.

Ok i think this thread has gone 180 it started out with some happy guy telling us his story which was cool. You have totally turned it around and turned it into a pissing match. As for nosy wuffos. to be honest before calling the police they should at least have half their story right. Some people just like a little excitement in their life. Take your drama elsewhere there tigra. As for the original poster glad you had fun mate

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I had the fire department show up at one of my Backyard Boogies because some woman called from the interstate to say she saw the plane we were jumping from crash.When asked if she was sure she said she was stopped on the interstate and she was looking at the landing gear in a tree.Can you say too much crack

some people have no life dude. like my next door neighbours last year we were letting off fireworks she called the fire dept cops and ambulance..needless to say all of them were pissed off with her call./... What was weird is a week later her lawn was sprayed with something that killed the grass:D:D:D:D

What was weird is a week later her lawn was sprayed with something that killed the grass:D:D:D:D

Yeah, I'm sure that the landscaper that lived next door wasn't suspect in the least.:D:D
Cop: *Excuse me sir, do you own any herbacide?*
You: *Yeah! Gallons of it! Why do you ask?*

Who me...Appaled that you would even suggest such a thing. :) You know everyone would of stopped setting the fireworks off all she needed to do was come and ask