noctralucent

Packers financial Liability

Quite simply, shit happens. Just like when you buy a jump ticket you take your chances, if you're lazy enough to use a packer (and I use them sometimes as well), then you take the chance of possibly having a mal and losing/damaging your main.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

IMO

If you trust a packer to pack your gear, then you are accepting the consiquences of what happens when you jump it. If it's a bad opening, pack it yourself next time. If it's a cut away, pack it yourself next time, etc

I always pack my own, so I only have one person to blame at opening....

But that's my opinion.
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

Can you say fuck that.I would never ask a packer to replace a main or pay for my repack.If you want a guarantee pack for your fucking self and see if that guaranties you never lose anything.If someone is trying to get you to pay for a main tell them to blow you.

Such a guarantee would imply a direct relationship between the pack job and the cutaway. There are other factors.

Next jump, dip your left shoulder really deep while you dump. If you get a spanking opening followed by linetwists, that would be your fault. Body position.

If you jump an elliptical, tighten your legstraps to different lengths. If will cause you to open in a mad spin.

It isn't always the pack job.

what about a packer working for a DZ. What happens if there is a MAL - which is obviously the packers fault?

Blue dreams, Benno

The way I see it is - you pays your money, and you takes your chances...nobody is forcing you to use a packer - it's a service the DZ offers for your convenience...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Most packers take great pride in their work.I know I do.When a Malfunction does happen,nobody feels worse then the packer.When they accidently "Slam" someone they also are forced to do something different to solve the problem.I.e.rubbers changes to the small ones for the small parachutes and "No Nose Stuffing to the Tail" solved the problem this week.They work hard for the little money they earn.They get little respect and are the most tired at the end of the day.So Right,no Liability.

It's a matter of perspective.
If you pack your own main & it mals, it's your packing.
If a packer packs your main & it mals, it's your body position.
:P:P:P:P
All joking aside, I echo the other replies: packers bust their asses in the heat; they take their responsibility very seriously, and feel shitty when a canopy they've packed mals. Nobody forces you to use a packer. Students should learn how to pack ASAP. If you do use packers, tip them well.

I don't know if she still does it, but Packin' Kathy used to warrant her pack jobs against the cost of a reserve repack due to a mal.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

you pays your money, and you takes your chances...nobody is forcing you to use a packer

Hell yeah!! I get tired of people trying to blame everything on us packers. If someone ever tries to blame line twists on me, i won't even pack for them anymore.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I always four line my canopy, cock my pilot chute, and set my brakes before laying the gear down for someone else to pack.
NickD :)BASE 194

What's four line mean?:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

what about a packer working for a DZ. What happens if there is a MAL - which is obviously the packers fault?
Blue dreams, Benno

In that case. YES. The packer should pay.
As long as you are willing to
A) buy extra slots for a crew of camera fliers to capture your opening from several different angles on every jump you make; and then

B) exhibit the slow motion video for a jury of riggers and instructors, obtaining a unanimous verdict that the mishap could absolutely not have been caused by body position, faulty equipment, dumb f*ckin' luck or any other outside factors, then you can make a case against your packer. At which point,

C) the DZO could be brought in to make a ruling on whether the packer should pay for your main, or you should get off your lazy ass and go look for it again.

But until you can prove said "fault" beyond a reasonable doubt, you may do well to realize that for five bucks you're not buying an opening, you're buying a pack job.
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

I have packed professionally at DZ's. A packers job is to get you on the airplane. You should set your own brakes and make sure your lines are clean before giving it to a packer. If something mal's the packer might or might not be at fault. Either way they will not pay for the reserve repack. I have only heard of one packer guaranteeing his packs and I think that was at Lake Wales. I am not sure if he still does it though.

Do the packers at your DZ get charged for all or part of the cost of a lost cutaway main that they packed? I'm not talking about a reserve re-pack but for the replacement cost of the main?

F* that...When you get a packer you are paying for the pack job/packer not the opening!!! My line is that is if you dont like my pack jobs then pack them yourself...and I am sorry I am not going to help buy another main....I will feel really bad if I do give someone a cutaway!!! I feel bad if I give someone line twists..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be the change you wish to see in the world!