bigcritch

Commercial airlines and Weight Belts

Never tried it but maybe you could tell them it's for you bad back :) I'd suggest coming early to try this so it gives you time to put it in your checked luggage if they say no. The overage fees I've paid in the past were minimal YMMV.

-Michael

Search, this has been asked before. Find the one where the guy wore one under his shirt, then the shirt got lifted up accidentally and the next thing he knew he was pinned by security.

Someone saw his belt and thought it was a bomb.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I heard someone said security made them check their weight belt. Security felt due to the weight someone could use it as a weapon by swinging it around.
Perhaps see if your destination has lead for rent and just take the belt without lead.

First, Weight belts looks very strange under XRAY. You can expect some questions by the operator. When I was asked, I usually tell them it is similar to scuba diving belt, but for skydiving.

My weight belt is around 18 lbs and I had problem in LAX airport in 2007. At that time, they told me i could use it as a weapon (Like a baseball bat). I asked if they will allow me if I let them some individual weights but they were not cooperative. So I let them all the weights and kept the empty belt. I had the option to check in the weights but I think the price would have been similar to the weights themselves and I did not want to go back to the counter. And on the same plane, I saw somebody allowed with a skateboard…

I was surprised to have problems since many skydivers fly to LAX when they go to Perris

Next time I take the plane I think I will spread the individual weights between check in and carry on to avoid large amount at the same place. Also, In the carry on bag, maybe I will take them out of the belt. I’m also thinking to bring empty ziplock bags and fill them with sand at destination but sand is lighter than lead so it may not work well. My new weights are scuba diving weights. (http://www.divers-supply.com/SHOT-LEAD-3LB-p/lee104.htm)

If you decide to put it in your check-in luggage, you can expect your bag to be opened. So try to avoid putting it with your rig to minimize the chances of manipulation of your rig.

In the end, it seems to be case by case and when it’s your day, keep smilling and be cooperative to avoid more problems!

Most airlines have a 15lbs weight limit on carry on.

citation? I've never once in my life, had a carryon that weighs less than 30 lbs. Laptop, powersupply, and assortment of USB drives alone weigh 20 lbs.
Plus my rig.

Most airlines have a 15lbs weight limit on carry on.

citation? I've never once in my life, had a carryon that weighs less than 30 lbs. Laptop, powersupply, and assortment of USB drives alone weigh 20 lbs.
Plus my rig.

Like you, i've taken on alot more than 15 lbs. I'll end up with close to 50lbs carry on usually.

I purchased my first weight belt in Perris during the 100-way camp, and decided to check it in my luggage. I put the weight belt on top of the contents, just in case someone X-Rays and opens my luggage. No doubt, my luggage got opened, contents only minimally disturbed.

Also, I used a "russian doll" technique for my luggage -- I packed my smaller gear pullman sideways inside a larger pullman, and packed my other stuff around it. This proved handy, because I could separate the two as needed, and turn one overweight checked item into two underweight checked items (with a reasonable extra fee). Also, I left the large pullman in the IHOP while I brought the gear backpack and small pullman (helmet, weight belt, jumpsuits, little knicknacks) onto the dropzone every morning. This proved very successful so I'm going to repeat this on my next trip, I can combine or separate the luggage depending on whether the fees are cheaper for one overweight versus two underweight checked luggage.

Regardless of checked, I always carry-on my rig in a gear backpack bag, and have no problems with that (except for the occasional double-take by the X-rayers on the screens), even though I bring two backpacks on. I carry one laptop/electronics carrying backpack in my hand like a laptop carrying case "personal item", and I wear the heavy rig-carrying gear backpack behind my back, so nobody at the airport questions me even though I'm carrying on about 40lbs of stuff, since I'm not clumsy looking with the items and look 'very narrow' (easily navigate an airplane aisle without inconveniencing people)

I thought about wearing my weight belt but guessed that I would likely get the kind of responses that other people have reported - suggestions that it could be used as some kine of bludgeoning weapon. Either way, I can tell you that reasonably sized conglomerations of lead will attract attention. On my last two trips home from California, my checked baggage was physically searched. On the most recent trip it was very obvious that it was the weights that they were looking for. I had split my weights into two bags to help keep everything under the per-bag limit. In my large bag with camping gear and such in it, was my weight belt and two weights. When I got home, the weight belt was unzipped and the weights removed. In my gear bag, the large compartment containing my unassembled rig was obviously opened. That was where I'd placed the other two weights. I was a little unimpressed with how they repacked my reserve pilot chute, although I'm sure it gave them a nice surprise when they opened the bag initially and it sprang out at them. :)
In future, I'll be more selective and avoid packing weights in bags/compartments that I'd prefer left undisturbed.

Depends on the Airport (place), the airlines and the destination.
From my experience with Ryanair fly from UK to Ireland I didn't have any problems last time. However I know/heard that Ryanair became more restrictive and precise during check-in and boarding. So be careful if you fly with them.
As Ryanair has 15 kg (33lbs) limit for check-in luggage I carried the weights separated from the belt in the hand luggage - no problem at that time.
The hand luggage limit is 10 kg if I good remember.

I also asked that question more experienced guys and one of them sad that once he wore the belt successfully perusing the security guys that this is for a health/medical reason ;)

regards
Janusz

Back to Poland... back home.

I normally just pack the lead in with my checked bags. It's usually opened and searched - no biggie. Does mean that I have to be extra-cognizant of the bag weight, though, and forces me to pack light. :)
I always carry on my rig with me.

Just got back from Chicks Rock, and accidentally left a single weight pouch in my carry-on gearbag. The TSA pulled my bag aside for screening, and the guy was very polite when asking if he could look around the bag. When he didn't find the "opaque item" in the side pocket, he told me he'd need to open the main compartment. I asked if I could assist, and he said "No," and I told him I'd prefer to help him get the parachute out of the gearbag, just so he didn't pull anything. His response:

"Oh. There's a parachute in there?"

Ah-hah. So that's why my girlfriend & her rig got through with no problems. The screeners didn't know what they were looking at.

He called the supervisor and a couple of other screeners over to be sure of what he could and couldn't do, and they let me help them take the rig out of the bag. They found the pouch, asked about it, and I explained to them that it went into a weight belt, kinda like a diving belt, etc. Then they sent me on my way. No fuss, very polite. Much better than some screeners I've dealt with (yes, I'm talking about you, ATL).

And I was glad they showed interest in it and asked for more info - I never mind helping educate them on what's what, especially when it's some sort of random skydiving gear issue. (Side note: when they saw our 2 full-face helmets on the x-ray machine, one of them asked if we both drove scooters, or something like that.) :S:D

So I now feel a little better about carrying on my weight belt. Main thing is, know that they COULD have an issue with it...and be sure to allow yourself enough time for possible delays.

Signatures are the new black.

I didn't know they would/could open and sift through your checked baggage without you being present. I believe here in the frozen northland they have to have you present but that may just be a common practise rather than a rule.

-Michael

Yep. Here in the US, the TSA has the authority to open your checked bags if they feel there's a good reason. They then are required to insert a little note saying, 'We opened this. If you have issues, visit our website.'

Every time I've left my weight belt in my checked baggage, I've arrived to find one of those notes waiting for me in the bag.
Signatures are the new black.

and the worst part is that the note doest have to say anything like "your bag was opened and checked by bag checker #13728" which means they have no accountability when they decide to steal something. I once had over $1000 of climbing gear stolen from my bag, a uninformative note was in there and I couldn't do anything about it because no one knew who it was who checked my bag.

Nope. CASTSA here in Canada can and does open checked bags. Just came back from China, and on the way there - they opened my ski bag that contained a pair of stilts. I'm sure they were thoroughly confused, but nothing dangerous in a pair of wooden stilts with shoes attached to them...

They put a label on your bag saying its been opened.

I've had checked bags opened in Canada, US and Mexico.
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

When I travel for Skydiving, I always keep my parachute rig as a carry on luggage. I arrive early at the airport and at the security I asked generally to speak to the manager. I explain him that I have a parachute equipment with me in the cabin, I also show him my CSPA membership, my AAD owner's manual, my AAD X-ray picture and the TSA letter about AAD installed in a skydiving equipment as a carry on luggage as legal. The security attendant even asked me once if he could take a photocopy of that letter.
When back from Perris I went thru the security at LAX without too much problem. My only problem at LAX was that my wallet had small change included. I had to leave it on the belt for scanning and leave it in the plastic bin while they were scanning me 25 feet away and probing my rig with the sniffer for trace of explosive. Now I have my small change always separated from my wallet and that way, I can keep my wallet on me. On the same travel, the girl at Detroit at the boarding time didn't want me to take my rig as a carry on in the small Bombardier Regional Jet saying it was too big. I insisted that I didn't want my LIFE SAVING SUPPORT such a parachute equipment which costs 8000$ be tossed with other checked luggages since my life depends on it. She didn't insist and told me to take it with me and find an arrangement with the flight attendant. My rig finally was put in a large empty closet/box located near the front of the airplane. When I arrived at destination, my checked luggage has been opened since its 2 locks forced open. At LAX when I let go my checked luggage I had told the attendant there was skydiving equipment inside and invited him to check it. He told me he could see everything with the scan. Then I put the 2 little locks on it. I have to say that my AAD had fired at Perris and I had withdrawn it from the the reserve container to put it in my checked luggage with wires and the control box. No wonder they were suspicious. But I guess that my checked luggage could have been opened anywhere after.
When I put skydiving stuff in my checked luggage I always wrote with a marker on a white sheet "Parachute accessories and tools".
Hoping this can give some suggestions to travelling skydivers.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

On the same travel, the girl at Detroit at the boarding time didn't want me to take my rig as a carry on in the small Bombardier Regional Jet saying it was too big. I insisted that I didn't want my LIFE SAVING SUPPORT such a parachute equipment which costs 8000$ be tossed with other checked luggages since my life depends on it. She didn't insist and told me to take it with me and find an arrangement with the flight attendant. My rig finally was put in a large empty closet/box located near the front of the airplane.

I've had this conundrum quite a few times, but ultimately I've always decided to let them toss it into the hold.

That is, the planeside carryon checkin-checkout in the jetway. At some airports, sometimes the plane is on the tarmac with no jetway (where I can walk on the tarmac right up to it), and I can actually walk over to the cargo door and hand the bag to him, only to be lifted two or three feet into the low-lying cargo door and slid to the rear from where he's standing. Didn't seem that particularly scary...

I've seen many rigs been abused and thrown about at enough dropzones, that one single one-time handling by a single low-to-the-ground regional jet baggage handler doesn't matter that much -- since it was packed away in a gear backpack, sometimes with a reasonable amount of cushioning (wrapped in a jumpsuit ). I just remind them, PLEASE be careful, this one is fragile. The regional plane is low to the ground and regional plane carryons seem to be handled with more care than the conveyer belt tossing for big planes with cargo holds high above the ground... I've seen people forced to put their laptop gear "down below" -- and obviously, a gear bag (rig/jumpsuit only, no electronics or altimeter) is less fragile than a massively oversized laptop/camera bag.

That said, I'd like to hear if anyone has had unlucky experience with regional planes regarding skydiving rigs (Air Canada, Northwest, etc)

My biggest worry is theft, especially if I am at the back of the plane and don't disembark before anyone else, but the bag is tagged and boring nondescript (whuffo's can't tell it's skydiving gear from looking at the bag), it definitely doesn't look like a laptop/electronics bag, and as an extra level of precaution for a honest error, the rig itself labelled with a LOST-REWARD label.