CriticalAngler

Aerodyne Icon - holes in pilot chute

Hi,

After 30-40 jumps onour new rigs, me and my team mate discovered two small holes on our pilot chutes. Both have freefly handles. The holes are located exactly where the edges on the part of the handle that are tucked into the BOC touch the fabric of the pilot. We suspect this is caused by the friction between the handle and the pilot after pulling. Anybody got a problem with Aerodyne or other harness types?

Regards,
Alex, Norway

Design problem. Oops' Last time I tried to convey design problems about aerodyne gear to aerodyne they ended up telling me to watch what I say about their gear. So I should be careful what I say about their gear. Jump something else.

I have that same problem with my Icon. Again, the holes are clearly caused by the corners on the freefly handle.

When I first noticed them, I had a rigger sew a patch on my pilot chute. Since then the holes have come back, but I haven't done anything about them. The pilot chute still seems to work pretty well despite them. I've put 500 jumps on my pilot chute with holes in it.

I jokingly refer to the holes as being similar to the hole in a round parachute at the apex - it reduces oscillations - actually makes for a better pilot chute!

Joking aside, the issue does seem to be limited to Icons with the Freefly handle.

I've pointed out this problem to different people at Aerodyne, and none of them have been inclined to do anything about it. This is one reason why I do not recomend Aerodyne gear to any of my students.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Francor, I'm Bill Legard, the new President of Aerodyne. This is the first that I have heard about this issue, but we want to make it right. If you'll contact me at [email protected], we'll get you a new pilot chute and ask you to send yours in for evaluation. We will determine the root cause of the problem and make changes as necessary. We are committed to building the best company in this industry with our products, our services and our people. Thanks for choosing Aerodyne, Bill.

Design problem. Oops' Last time I tried to convey design problems about aerodyne gear to aerodyne they ended up telling me to watch what I say about their gear. So I should be careful what I say about their gear. Jump something else.

You can only re-invent the wheel so many times... or is there not limit to that?

That's exactly why I modify a few components if it's for my personal use.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Francor, I'm Bill Legard, the new President of Aerodyne. This is the first that I have heard about this issue, but we want to make it right. If you'll contact me at [email protected], we'll get you a new pilot chute and ask you to send yours in for evaluation. We will determine the root cause of the problem and make changes as necessary. We are committed to building the best company in this industry with our products, our services and our people.

Bill, when you make statements like this you actually have to follow through.

Since you posted this back in October, I've emailed you directly, sent you PM's here on dropzone.com, and even left you a voicemail. You didn't reply to any of them.

I've called Sandy three times, and I've emailed her 4 times. Sandy doesn't reply to my emails. When I talk to her on the phone she tells me that this will be handled "right away", but nothing ever happens.

I'm just about ready to give up and order something from another vendor.

This is precisely the kind of customer service I think about when I recommend gear to my students.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Well that's a bit disconcerting. I am planning my first rig from here in Baghdad. I had decided on a Smart Reserve and Pilot and was considering a straight Aerodyne rig. Then, I contacted them about a military discount and they told me to go to a dealer. Not exactly solicitous, but I understood. Now, I find out I might get unresponsive customer service? I can't drive there and poke them in the eye like I could if I was in the States. I have to reconsider my options at this point. Glad I read this post.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I have the same thing on my Vector 3 pilot chute with freefly handle. My pilot chute has about 250 jumps on it though. Hold it up to the light and I bet there is a lot more damage than just the two little holes.
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I ordered my new Icon in September, got it right on time, and have nothing but good things to say about it. I have a freefly handle too, but no holes as of yet. I've also seen them on Vectors and Javs so it seems more like an industry-wide problem.

As for the customer service, I have not needed it yet so I cannot comment, but hopefully it gets straightened out soon [:/]

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Well that's a bit disconcerting. I am planning my first rig from here in Baghdad. I had decided on a Smart Reserve and Pilot and was considering a straight Aerodyne rig. Then, I contacted them about a military discount and they told me to go to a dealer. Not exactly solicitous, but I understood. Now, I find out I might get unresponsive customer service? I can't drive there and poke them in the eye like I could if I was in the States. I have to reconsider my options at this point. Glad I read this post.

It is not that Aerodyne did not post here, that they did not have contacted their customer. So do not jump to conclusions.

I hope that you do not consider posting here by the manufacturer as "customer service". I prefer them to fix my problem and to contact me instead of reading all those posts here. In fact few manufacturers post here and if they do, it's only once a year ;)

I also have had great customer service from Aerodyne.

People make mistakes and sometimes things fall through the cracks accidentally. I don't think this is representative of their customer service over all, and I am sure some one from Aerodyne will make things right.

When I was having slow opening on my second hand Icon back a few years ago they sent me a brand new pilot chute, new dbag, and bridle all on their dime.

Ordering new gear from them had been a pleasure as well.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Hi There,
I will answer couple of issues you guys are bringing up in this post. Customer service at Aerodyne. Expect nothing but the highest level of it. We cater to SPORT part of this industry ONLY, there will be no military orders being placed in front of other orders. Yes we do value men and women providing military service for our country and do offer military discount on their equipment. To make it clear for everyone out there it is a simple procedure. We sell through our distributors and discourage direct sales! Why? To provide you with a better customer service. I hope i don't have to write another paragraph to explain this any further.
As for free fly handle: Yes it has been an issue to make the darn thing work, and as you can read in other posts, all rig manufacturers are having this problem. The nature of it comes from stiff flat tab of the handle rubbing against PC's fabric. It wears it out faster than any other type of a handle. I was at our Icon production facility last week and saw a new design for a free fly handle that is supposed to eliminate this premature wear on the pilot chute. Yes we are working on this so please be patient.
Last but not least. Your decision to do anything in life, that goes for buying skydiving gear as well, based on opinion of another person should be considered THEIR DECISION not YOURS!!! Why, because you will always find plenty of people on both sides of the fence. My advise is, educate yourself, TRY IT and then you will be able to have a personal knowledge of the subject and make proper choice.
But you already knew that, right? :)
Be safe out there!
Leszek Stachyra
Aerodyne US Tour
Representative

I'm not familiar with the Aerodyne freefly handle and it's not clear to me just where the friction is coming from. Haven't seen this on other freefly handles. Either way, you should be able to protect that area with a piece of ripstop tape. Maybe one on each side of the fabric. Not an ideal solution, but better than letting it get worse. And quicker than waiting on a solution from Aerodyne, apparently.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan