eric.fradet

Pros & Cons of M.A.R.D (Was: Skyhook Activation Stories)

Hi ruthers,

With a SkyHook, the assembly is tacked, at the bridle, at a loction 5 ft from the pilot chute.

In your scenario, the SkyHook does not disengage because the pilot chute has not put sufficient drag to break this tacking.

On the RAX system, it is not tacked. It takes about 1/2 of an ounce of pull to release the system. IMO and from my testing, just the force of the pilot chute launch will release the system from the connection.

If you had looked at the YouTube video you would have seen the ground activation that shows the pilot chute going to almost full bridle extension. It can only do that once the system has been released.

I offered to send you a mockup of the RAX system; you declined.

I attached the YouTube link; it appears you have not watched that either.

Have a good day,

JerryBaumchen

what happens if a situation as may have happened with the tandem fatality a while ago, where on a low pull, the cypres cut the loop, and the main opening shock may have ejected the reserve freebag and back loaded the skyhook? i.e. if the pull on the reserve bridle is from the freebag side and not the pilot chute side, will the pin disengage or will the pin perhaps get bent?

A convoluted sequence I guess, but Murphy's law has a habit of lurking. Without a collins lanyard, the above would mean that the reserve freebag would not be released from the RSL, which is still attached to the (not yet cut away) risers. Perhaps that's a better outcome than a 2 out anyway?

Once the loop is cut, the pilot chute is free, and it will take very little force to release the MARD. As long as the folded red webbing is extended from its original, folded-over shape, the pin should release. It does not matter which side of the bridle the pull comes from - as long as the pull is coming from the bridle, the MARD pin will release.

The only time the pin "locks" is when the pull comes from the MARD lanyard, which will extract the tab from the channel on the flap.

But as long as the tab is in the pocket (and the new ring just adds to that security), pulling on the bridle end of the red webbing, either from the pilot chute or from the bag, will unfold the red webbing and release the pin.

So, in your scenario, the MARD will release. You'll still have two-out to deal with, but the RAX won't complicate things by locking to two pieces together.

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I did watch the youtube and looked at the photos. My sincere apologies if my questions have offended. Perhaps by phrasing as questions, it might have seemed critical.

I'm not trying to criticise at all - I am very impressed by the simplicity and apparent good function of the system. Just asking the questions as I was visualizing the function to understand it all.

Once again thanks for the offer and the responses.

Hamish

Hi Paul,

But as long as the tab is in the pocket (and the new ring just adds to that security),

This is just to inform anyone who has been following this thread that Paul Fries ( riggerpaul on dz.com ) of Angels Camp, California is the person who suggested adding the RW-4 ring to the end of the tab for a perfect way to secure the tab in its channel.

I am extemely greatful for his design assistance & input.

One never knows just where that VOILA moment will come from.

THANK YOU, Paul,

JerryBaumchen

Hi skydiverek,

I read in Skydiving Magazine few years ago that you wanted to freeware the RAX to the container manufacturers. What happend to this idea?

It is still available to any mfr that wants to use it. So far only one has that I know of. There may be another in eastern Europe but he does not answer my emails.

I have sent mockups of the RAX out to almost anyone who would want to see it & get their hands on it. Most have come back but there are ~4 or so that have not come back. Since I just do it informally, I really do not know ( with one exception; the guy who won't reply to me emails ) where they are.

That sorta bums one out but I will still send out mockups because I am a 'true believer' in the system.

Does that answer your question?

JerryBaumchen