skymama

More Americans prefer wine over beer

In the future, do you think we'll be shouting "wine" instead of "beer" for first offenses?

From The Orlando Sentinel:
Beaujolais has beaten the Busch.

For the first time since the Gallup Poll began keeping track in 1992, more Americans say their alcoholic beverage of choice is wine, not beer.

According to Gallup, 39 percent of U.S. drinkers said they imbibe wine most often, while 36 percent said beer is their favorite. The rest prefer liquor, and a small percentage rate all three equally. Technically, the pollsters said, wine and beer are statistically equal, considering the margin of error.

Why the shift? Experts say wine is more affordable and more available than it used to be. They also cite the quality of California vintages, studies indicating that moderate wine drinking can have health benefits, and even wine's featured role in the film Sideways.

The change is dramatic: Beer led wine 47 percent to 27 percent in 1992, and 39 percent to 33 percent last year.

In sheer volume, beer easily reigns. About 2.8 billion cases of beer were sold last year, compared with nearly 270 million of wine. But the under-30 crowd is drinking far less beer, a bit less wine and more spirits in the form of sweet drinks such as the cosmopolitan.

Jim Koch, who stars in commercials for his Samuel Adams beer, is unbowed: "I've been to these wine tastings, and they actually spit it out! We beer people actually enjoy drinking."

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm a wino as well as a ..BEERO??!!:S:S

I heard some VERY disturbing news about japan.
apparently they are making wine out of fish parts and oils now. I'm the type of person who will try it to see if its any good, but I am not going to act lilke i am NOT scared about this stuff:ph34r::ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

Its mostly due to the medical community touting wine as being good for you. I know thats the reason my dad started drinking wine.

Jen

Same for me. Instead of drinking 3 or 4 bottles of beer an night, now I drink 3 or 4 bottles of wine. And I'm doing fabulous baby! :ph34r:
Remster

Hey now, they said that Liquor was above all of those others.

I think we should have whiskey rules! Jack Black Label is a good solution, atleast a 5th for a whiskey offense.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."