sd-slider

Safe to say Icarus customer service sucks....?

I also wanted to get my e-mail out there so if there are any other problems people have a place to contact instead of spinning their wheels here on dropzone.com.

Blue Skies!

Lauren

yeah, like thats going to stop em:P

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I also wanted to get my e-mail out there so if there are any other problems people have a place to contact instead of spinning their wheels here on dropzone.com. talking to other people that work for our company that dont want to help people that buy our products.

Blue Skies!

Lauren

Fixed it for you! The OP had already tried taking it to the company you work for and got shit on! Dont act as if he came here first>:(
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Hey JohnDeere,

I never said he came here first!

And now my email is public- I'm just trying to help, not to blame anyone.

I'm truly sorry for the communication problems that people have experienced with ICARUS in the past.

We do support the customers who buy our product as we should.

I am sorry that he had problems in the past but the only way to move forward is the learn from the problems and act differently in the future. Which is what I am trying to do.
Blue Skies!
Lauren

Hey JohnDeere,

I never said he came here first!

And now my email is public- I'm just trying to help, not to blame anyone.

I'm truly sorry for the communication problems that people have experienced with ICARUS in the past.

We do support the customers who buy our product as we should.

I am sorry that he had problems in the past but the only way to move forward is the learn from the problems and act differently in the future. Which is what I am trying to do.
Blue Skies!
Lauren

So maybe I was a little harsh! I was just trying to point out that he would not have been "spinning his wheel on dz.com" if he had gotten the suport he need from the company you work for. I am glad that you are stepping up and being there for the jumpers that jump your gear. I hope you/ your company continues to do so!:)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Hi ,
As I can see I'm not the only one who have problem with Icarus....
I live in France and bought an Icarus Safire-2 189 last March in us. I had 32 jumps on it, and on my last jump,in august , the canopy ripped off at the opening. It about 6 feet long rip.

According to Lauren I did send my canopy to Spain for evaluation.
The answer from Spain was:

"So after speaking a great deal to Spain regarding this canopy this is all the information I have:

Upon inspection of the canopy all we can conclude is what we have discovered on a technical side. Technically the canopy was constructed perfectly, therefore a manufacturing defect is not the cause of this problem.

We cannot conclude the exact reason for this so the verdict is that something had to have happened either during packing or opening to lead to this reaction, but there are a great deal of variables that could have contributed to this. We do not have any specifics as to cause of this so there is nothing that we can submit to the customer to explain it. This canopy was sent to our Head Quarters and received a full inspection all that was determined was that it was not a construction error."

I was not expecting such an answer from Icarus Several DZ have seen the pictures of the canopy and they have never seen that before.

So guys if you want a good customer service DO NOT BUY ICARUS CANOPIES !!!

blue skies

Hi ,
I live in France and bought an Icarus Safire-2 189 last March in us. I had 32 jumps on it, and on my last jump,in august , the canopy ripped off at the opening. It about 6 feet long rip.

"So after speaking a great deal to Spain regarding this canopy this is all the information I have:

Upon inspection of the canopy all we can conclude is what we have discovered on a technical side. Technically the canopy was constructed perfectly, therefore a manufacturing defect is not the cause of this problem.

We cannot conclude the exact reason for this so the verdict is that something had to have happened either during packing or opening to lead to this reaction, but there are a great deal of variables that could have contributed to this. We do not have any specifics as to cause of this so there is nothing that we can submit to the customer to explain it. This canopy was sent to our Head Quarters and received a full inspection all that was determined was that it was not a construction error."

I was not expecting such an answer from Icarus Several DZ have seen the pictures of the canopy and they have never seen that before.

blue skies

I fail to understand what the problem is here. You sent your canopy away to get inspected; They inspected it, got back to you, and even sent it for another inspection.

The fact that their answer wasn't what you were looking for does not mean they provided poor customer service.
Remster

Hi ,

blue skies

Did this ahppen after the 30day money back guarantee?

NZAerosports (icarus NZ) their customer servie rocks!! They have answered emails from me instantly for orders all year long, two customers had an issue and it was not nzaerosports problem but they resolved it straight away for the customer.

If you need your canopy repaired, send me a PM and we will see what NZAerosports can do for you. They will help you out anyday.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

The problem is that a brand new canopy (only 32 jumps) must not blow up like this even if there were a packing issue (in my case the packing was inspected by a master rigger before I jumped).
I was only expecting that Icarus service took care of the customers and do the repair for free, as they can't explain what realy happened !
Do they have so many canopies blowing out or having problems so they cannot repair them with no charge when there is no valid explanation ??

The problem is that a brand new canopy (only 32 jumps) must not blow up like this even if there were a packing issue (in my case the packing was inspected by a master rigger before I jumped).

I guess that's the problem then. A canopy should not blow up. But you know what, shit does happen. Maybe you need to remind yourself that you are throwing a ball of nylon in a 120 mph wind in the hopes of it unfolding properly in the chaotic airflow.
Remster

If you need your canopy repaired, send me a PM and we will see what NZAerosports can do for you.

THAT'S good customer service!

Going above and beyond, considering you didn't even sell the thing.

Good on you! B|

Not really mate, I dont even know if i can do anything, its just a matter of I do what I can to help others in the industry i am in. We all do dont we, we all help each other out if and when we can.

Besides, Im sure Icarus spain would not want NZ taking the glory and it might motivate them to do something about it :ph34r:

.....kidding.....kind of.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

so if I buy from an American company producing their canopies in Honduras - am I still buying American?

That's debatable, as are most things. Here is a story to help fuel the debate:

Just last week an icon in the St. Louis area died. His name was Dave Sinclair, was a Ford (and later other brands) dealer for decades, and was incredibly well respected.

His radio and TV ads, particularly in recent years, suggested to Americans to buy American automobiles.
He went so far as to say, "Please buy an automobile from me, but if you do not, please buy an automobile from one of my American competitors."

While being interviewed on a local radio station, he actually posed this same question, and answered it. If the company is based in Detroit (or some other American city) it is an American company.

Like I said, his opinion will fuel the debate. (Are we ready for Speaker''s Corner yet?)

Back to the canopy manufacturer issue- I believe a person can still buy a canopy from an American company that is manufactured in America.

It just depends on to what degree you want to support the American economy and what kind of customer service you desire. (There, I finally got the thread back to where it started, customer service!)

>The problem is that a brand new canopy (only 32 jumps) must not
>blow up like this even if there were a packing issue . . .

Sometimes they do. I guarantee you a packing error can destroy a canopy. Even a properly manufactured, maintained, assembled and packed canopy can be damaged during opening. Nowadays it's very rare but it does happen.

>I was only expecting that Icarus service took care of the customers
>and do the repair for free, as they can't explain what realy happened !

Of course; they weren't there. You were. They didn't assemble the canopy, pack it or deploy it. All they can do is look at the canopy and tell you if there was a material or manufacturing defect.

>Do they have so many canopies blowing out . . .

No, it's really rare.

>or having problems so they cannot repair them with no charge when there
>is no valid explanation?

It's happened to me twice, both with PD canopies (which are some well designed canopies.) In one they found a problem that was due to wear (i.e. the canopy was just getting old) in the other they could not find a problem. I got rid of the old canopy and got the newer canopy fixed. After that it was fine.

Sorry about your problems.
May I suggest that next time buy American.

The OP is french, or at least in France. Maybe he should buy a PdF canopy and stimulate the French economy as I've just read that if you're based in France you're a French entity:P

Sorry, nothing of value to add to the subject of the thread - I'll just go back to lurking under that nice bridge of mine now. :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

If you need your canopy repaired, send me a PM and we will see what NZAerosports can do for you. They will help you out anyday.

The problem is not where the canopy needs to be repaired.

The problem seems to be who's going to pay for it!
....and why they need to pay for it.

There are a four reasons fabric will split or seperate.

1. The fabric is weak. This could be from manufacturing blimishes or old age (age not applicable here).

2. Point loading. This is where a possible tension knot or packing issue causes all of the opening stress to be localized in one area. This is the number one reason IMHO.

3. Line burn. Lineovers can cause burns in the fabric, thus spliting after inflation.

4.Extremely hard openings

I do not know which applied to his canopy, but you can bet it was one of the four.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

The OP is french, or at least in France. Maybe he should buy a PdF canopy and stimulate the French economy as I've just read that if you're based in France you're a French entity.

I thought user name "sd-slider" was the OP, and appeared to be in the US by his profile, so that guided my responses. I agree wholeheartedly with your remarks. It should maker thing easier when you purchase from within your country.

Whoops - I meant the person who resurrected the thread and thought that you did too.

That's what I get for posting without drinking my customary gallon of coffee. :D

Seriously, I hope that all difficulties will be resolved in a satisfactory manner for all those involved.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

If you need your canopy repaired, send me a PM and we will see what NZAerosports can do for you. They will help you out any day.

The problem is not where the canopy needs to be repaired.

The problem seems to be who's going to pay for it!
....and why they need to pay for it.

There are a four reasons fabric will split or separate.

1. The fabric is weak. This could be from manufacturing blemishes or old age (age not applicable here).

2. Point loading. This is where a possible tension knot or packing issue causes all of the opening stress to be localized in one area. This is the number one reason IMHO.

3. Line burn. Line-overs can cause burns in the fabric, thus splitting after inflation.

4.Extremely hard openings

I do not know which applied to his canopy, but you can bet it was one of the four.

Cheers,
MEL

There is one more cause that I came across a year or so back...inconsistent stitch per inch sewing during cell construction.

On a similar 'type' canopy by another manufacturer the same type of split occurred twice, I went through the thing for a couple hours before I came to the conclusion too many perforations too close together were what caused the 'rip'.

The stitch per inch count varied from 14 to 22 over different parts of the canopy, with no real consistency regard the areas...however where the 2 rips happened (at different times) the higher number of stitches was obvious.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The stitch per inch count varied from 14 to 22 over different parts of the canopy

If memory serves me, the stitch count should be 10 spi + or – 1. I am sure someone will let know it that is wrong. You get up to 15 + and you end up with a “tear along dotted line” situation.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I also wanted to get my e-mail out there so if there are any other problems people have a place to contact instead of spinning their wheels here on dropzone.com.

Blue Skies!

Lauren

As Lauren mentioned, this issue has been taken care of. Thank You Lauren. :)
Once the request got into the right hands, it was taken care of quickly. :S

It is my bust for not posting that info in a more timely manner when Icarus/Lauren came through. I've was laid up with a blown cervical disc that was recently replaced...B|.

Thanks again,

=Eric
Anvil Brother #69

Sidelined with a 5mm C5-C6 herniated disk...
Back2Back slammers and 40yr old fat guys don't mix!