airtwardo

My fellow pilots...

SWEET!

Derek

That has to be some of the best Photography work going!:)

Check out the trailer for the just released movie...

Click "Trailer"
(It's not the same as the above Video)

For those who didn't recognize him, that's Clay Lacy flying the DC-3. Those who don't know who Clay is...time to move out of your cave.

"One Six Right" is the main runway at Van Nuys airport. It holds some special meaning in our house because as a little 10 year old girl, my wife use to sit by the tower for hours on end and Dream...

At 15 she got a job working the desk at a flight school there to pay for flying lessons. Something her folks thought was a REALLY dumb idea.[:/]

She later worked at the school as a flight instructor, .....and now is a Captain for a Major Airline, with well over 20,000 hours...JET TIME!

Through her, years ago I too flew there often...

The time I remember most was when she called me at Perris, she had to leave the Great Lakes there in Van Nuys, and head to work...asked me to move it back to Orange County. I rode my motorcycle to Van Nuys and asked Corkey Fornoff to keep an eye on it.

(If ya never heard of Corkey..see 'Cave' line above.):ph34r:

So...I'm packing my main next to the 'Lakes' on the grass by "Million Air", I hear "Planning a little relative work after the bail out?"

It was Clay Lacy...:$

I'm standing there in gym shorts, a ripped Harley Tee-Shirt, foot and a half of pony tail, and jump boots ...packing a parachute next to an open cockpit Aerobatic Bi-Wing

Mr. Lacy says to me...Come on in and let me get you a cool drink....this is one story I HAVE TO HEAR!:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I was watching it while talking on the phone...

Kind of "same old same old" until they showed the footage of the United plane on final... Then they cut away, and I said, "DARN, that would have been good."

The rest you will have to see for yourself. :P Can't tell what the ending is gonna be.:P

That is an absolutely beautiful piece of work!

How the hell did they get such incredibly stable images?!!!

Walt

My guess: gyro-stabilized camera head. Kevin LaRosa, listed as Aerial Director, is known in the film industry as one of the top helicopter pilot, and flies stabilized heads on a daily basis.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Thanks for sharing that experience. For me, not being a pilot but more of a historian, what those aircraft represent, soaring the skies in their splendor, was awe inspiring. To anyone in aviation, the DC-10 was the most successful aircraft of its' generation, both technologically and commercially.
Thanks. That was some cool shit!

You're always the starter in your own life!

Wow I still have goose bumps from that P-51. I damn near get a tear everytime I see that thing anywhere. I think the only thing better that being able to see and hear that thing fly is talking to the old timers who flew them in the war. I highly suggest everybody go to Oshkosh or Sun/n-Fun and talk to some of these guys. The stories they tell are priceless. It's sad that a lot of them are passing on and leaving us. The DC-3 is a beaut. The camera work is unbelievable. I wish I could get some good views of me flying like that but I dont think it's gonna happen. I just reserved my copy for when it is released. Thank's sooooo much for sharing that.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

ENJOY

- You bet I did.

There's something deeply satisfying and almost primeval about watching really graceful flying like that. It touches something way down inside.

It's kind of like when I'm flying alone on my paraglider (which is special in it's own right) but then, if a big bird accepts me and shares the sky with me, even for a moment..... a truely magical, emotional feeling.

Thanks

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome