bigway

Skyhook Activation Stories

I was going trough my routine while at the same time pulling down my rear riser trying to stop the turn. it just did make sense to me that it spun since it looked fine. I could'n see the tensionknot untill i looked at my D-SLR. Got two nice photos of it ;)

Samurai 136, ~1,6WL
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I was going trough my routine while at the same time pulling down my rear riser trying to stop the turn. it just did make sense to me that it spun since it looked fine. I could'n see the tensionknot untill i looked at my D-SLR. Got two nice photos of it ;)
Samurai 136, ~1,6WL

What I have seen from the video, that it was _just_ diving in.
I have not seen you releasing breaks. I got similar problem on a Cobalt loaded 1.6-1.7. I just released the breaks and stopped the turn. I was thinking about cutting away, but I got the easy fix.

An elliptical canopy is not stopping turning if breaks are set. You have some seconds to stop the turn with the opposite riser before it gets to heavy than you have some time to stop it with breaks....

I would not let the situation develop from bad to worst.

Second reminder:

This thread is for Skyhook Activation stories, not a pros & cons debate of using a Skyhook or devices like it. I detached the other conversation and gave it a home here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view&post=3346918. For those of you who want to engage in that discussion, now you have a place to do so.

Any further off-topic discussion in this thread will be sent to the Recycle Bin.
Arrive Safely

John

I've had three unplanned cutaways (two with a skyhook) and one intentional Skyhook cutaway. My first chop was with an RSL equipped Infinity, Sabre 2 170 loaded at 1.4, and PD Reserve 160 loaded at 1.5. It was a Mr. Bill attempt from a Cessna exit at 3,700 feet. I ended up with a spinning lineover, cut away very unstable, watched my reserve deploy and had a number of line twists that were easy enough to kick out of.

My second unplanned chop was on a wingsuit jump with a Skhook and magnetic riser cover equipped Vector 3, Sabre 2 170 loaded at 1.4, and PD Reserve 160 loaded at 1.5. I fought the rapidly spinning line twists until I was fairly low (below 1,500 feet) and made no progress and decided to cutaway. I probably actually pulled the cutaway handle somewhere around 1,000 feet and was under my reserve at about 850 feet. The reserve opened quickly, smoothly, and on heading. The reserve opening was also my first save as a rigger (but I didn't pack the main). I landed close to my main which was still attached to the freebag.

My third unplanned cutaway was on a Skyhook equipped Sigma Tandem, Precision 365 main, and I'm not sure which reserve as I was on a back to back. Line twists I fought until my hard deck of 3,000 feet. I tried getting my student to help me untwist but we made no progress. I had him arch and grab his harness. Quick and smooth cutaway and reserve inflation. The reserve was difficult to fly and had a small built in turn. Landing was okay in the target pea gravel.

I also packed twice and jumped once the UPT Skyhook demo cutaway rig. Falcon 150 main, PD Optimum 143 reserve, and unused belly mounted PD Reserve 143. Great, fast, smooth, and on heading pre-planned Skyhook reserve deployments.

Overall I'm a fan of the Skyhook but I cringe when I read posts from people who know little about it but use one. I would consider having a MARD put on my Infinity if it becomes available and well tested. As for now I sometimes jump a Velocity 120 loaded at 2.15 with my Inifinity and standard RSL but I'm debating disconnecting it.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

I have 2 cutaways with my newish V306. Optimum 126 and Samurai 120.

Both were violently spinning mals.

I pulled both handles on both jumps and basically got an instant reserve both times. On the first cutaway I had one line twist in the reserve, but was jumping a new, unfamiliar wingsuit with a pressurized legwing, which I'm sure caused the line twists (did not close the legwing enough). Freebag and Reserve PC stayed with the main.

The second cutaway was on a camera jump. Instant reserve, no line twists. Freebag and Reserve PC did not stay with the main. I followed the PC down and the main landed within 100 feet.

Lessons learned for me are to fly the opening on the Samurai! It's much better now...

I know this is a Skyhook thread, but that new Optimum Reserve is really quite nice.
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

Note added by slotperfect by request of the OP: this thread is for posting real Skyhook activation stories and the discussion thereof. This thread is not intended to be a discussion of the pros/cons of the Skyhook.

Hey all,
Now the skyhook has been out and about a while and people have seemed to make their mind up about it instead of just debating it I am wondering if some of you guys have stories you would like to share about it and when you used and how you found it.

The reaosn I ask is because I have alot of people ask me about it as there are not so many demos of the product in Europe. So these guys dont get to hear about it in action or see it.

So if you have a skyhook and you have had it activate I would love to hear what the situation was and how you found the end result.

I ask this for educational purposes. Yes, there is tons of threads on the skyhook but they are debating it, I would like to see this thread being one where people that have had it activate can share their story so we can have a thread to learn from their experience.

I would like to read about others experiences.

Please share....

sky hook in action

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6847&string=marko

This was low and dirty around 20 second reserve ride PS was not me I just thought it is a good video on a sky hook and how fast they are
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Ten total chops.

Four on personal gear with no RSL

(Three round, and one square reserve ride)

Tandems:

Three chops without a skyhook, but with rsl. Scary. No, really... I arched like the maggot I am, and hoped nothing would touch (or wrap around) my foot. Lucky.

Skydive Houston got some rigs retro fitted, and on one of my rare jumps on their gear I got to find out about it. Chop from a spinner... before my body can go head below the horizontal I'm getting the snatch. :)
After another one, I'm ordering a personal rig with Skyhook.

I already had a retro fit on my tandem, but never got to use it until after a couple of mals on DZ gear.

Love it.

Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I did not have a skyhook activation...Instead my skyhook did what it was supposed to do when it wasnt supposed to do anything!!! I had a PCIT terminal reserve ride that went great. Cutaway and pull researve and no interfearce from the skyhook:)
Edit to add THANK YOU PD (and my rigger;)) for that NICE opening from my PD160

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Hi Secret,

What is the need to know info?

I have heard Bill Booth say ( and you should check for yourself if you have a Skyhook ) that if you have a rig with a Skyhook and you suffer a total of the main or a pilot chute in tow, do not cutaway; just go for the reserve only.

Now, do not take that from me as being from the horse's mouth ( so to speak ) but check with UPT and see what they say.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Secret,

What is the need to know info?

I have heard Bill Booth say ( and you should check for yourself if you have a Skyhook ) that if you have a rig with a Skyhook and you suffer a total of the main or a pilot chute in tow, do not cutaway; just go for the reserve only.

Now, do not take that from me as being from the horse's mouth ( so to speak ) but check with UPT and see what they say.

JerryBaumchen

In this case, forget the SkyHook or the RSL because they do not affect the situation at all. If you have a total (Container Lock, Hard Pull, can't find you handle) what would you do? in this case it is a personal decision, and I've heard AFF instructors say both. Personally, I'm going through the EPs that I have practiced Thousands of times rather than "changing" it which could potentially slow things down and take more time.

Granted, pulling the cutaway handle serves no purpose because your risers are not going anywhere if your main is still in the container.

Mark Klingelhoefer

:)
As a Master Rigger & a RWS/UPT approved Master Rigger for Skyhook retrofit on Sport V3 & Sigma & for Sun Path.

Some points on UPT only:

SKYHOOK/RSL LANYARD spec. from end to end of the tape:
1. Vector 3 with standart yoke: 16" long.
2. Vector 3 with EXTENDED YOKE (+1): 18.5" long.

The use of the right lanyard per the Yoke size is very important.

Cutaway Yellow cables MUST be trimmed to the right spec. with the Skyhook or RSL:

SPORT Vector 3 with RSL/Skyhook:
RSL side (Right side) - 7.5"
Non RSL side (Left side) - 5.5"

SIGMA:
RSL side (Right side) - 8"
Non RSL side (Left side) - 6"

The left side LONG yellow cable must pass in the lanyard rear loop (where the White Spectra line & the Red lanyard are attached) to keep the "collins lanyard" system active.

The White 1000 lb. Spectra line attached to the pin will be on TOP of the RED lanyard when both attached to the Skyhook lanyard > Red goes inside to the skyhook & White goes on the Top flap with a Velcro holder.

SKYHOOK setting on bridle from center of the hook:
OLD version: 8 feet to top of free bag & 5 feet to end of bridle.
NEW version: 7 feet to top of bag & 5 feet to end of bridle.

The OLD RED lanyard with the bartacks better be REPLACED with the new RED lanyard with the YELLOW 301 stitch from loop to loop which is stronger.
(There is no UPT call on that but better be done)

The Red lanyard MUST be secured with 1 turn of SINGLE RED Cotton rigger seal thread by the manual. (:( I found a pack job that the Red lanyard was NOT secured)

The Skyhook plastics might creaked with time & should be replaced with retrofit plastics from UPT.

The Marine Eye at the end of the reserve ripcord cable might leave dents on the SS reserve pin - check after each repack - during closing the reserve top flap keep the eye at top side of the pin - do not let it slide to the center - the eye marks will be always at the top of the pin below the pin eye from the marine eye move.

Be aware that the AAD cable / LCD is out from the skyhook lanyard & attached White & Red lines it must pass clean behind from the channel to the clear window.

When ordering a new Sport V3 with RSL / Skyhook ask for "RSL lanyard Cover" this is an option of a
1 1/2" Ty.3 tape sewn on top of RSL lanyard to the hook velcro size & protects the reserve risers from being damaged / fuzz by the RSL lanyard hook velcro. When the RSL lanyard is not cover the reserve risers might touch the hook velcro which is on the RSL lanyard from the side & got fuzz or worse - I saw that before & asked UPT for that solution. It works well & the risers are set on top of the protection tape, we order all our V3's with that cover. Just write it on the order form at "Special Instructions" bottom open box.

All parts must be from UPT.

NOTE: ALL spec. & Info. is from UPT & might be changed by the MFG. - Riggers MUST follow the manual & the MFG. instructions & check with the mfg. if the spec. looks different.

That is for now - I hope it helps.

Be Safe !!!

As a Master Rigger & a RWS/UPT approved Master Rigger for Skyhook retrofit on Sport V3 & Sigma & for Sun Path.

Some points on UPT only:

That is for now - I hope it helps.

Be Safe !!!

Rigger

Some of that went over my head in terms of my rigging knowledge but it sounds like great info ;)

Keep it coming mate B|