bigway

Skyhook Activation Stories

Note added by slotperfect by request of the OP: this thread is for posting real Skyhook activation stories and the discussion thereof. This thread is not intended to be a discussion of the pros/cons of the Skyhook.

Hey all,
Now the skyhook has been out and about a while and people have seemed to make their mind up about it instead of just debating it I am wondering if some of you guys have stories you would like to share about it and when you used and how you found it.

The reaosn I ask is because I have alot of people ask me about it as there are not so many demos of the product in Europe. So these guys dont get to hear about it in action or see it.

So if you have a skyhook and you have had it activate I would love to hear what the situation was and how you found the end result.

I ask this for educational purposes. Yes, there is tons of threads on the skyhook but they are debating it, I would like to see this thread being one where people that have had it activate can share their story so we can have a thread to learn from their experience.

I would like to read about others experiences.

Please share....

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I've used mine twice.

The first time I was in a very stable position under a good canopy but my riser covers didn't open and I couldn't get them open. I don't think I lost more than 100 feet between cutaway and a fully inflated reserve. The guy next to me under canopy(who watched my cutaway) promptly sent his 2 V3's in for a retrofit. :D

The second time I was in a nasty spin and was very unstable when my reserve deployed, but it deployed cleanly and without any problems. Not even line twists.

Owned by Remi #?

Did you have magnetic riser covers? I am guessing not if they would not open?

I wish. They came out about the same time as my cutaway, which was on a brand new rig.... which is why the covers were so stiff. Oh well. It probably wouldn't have happened if the risers had been stowed correctly. [:/]

Owned by Remi #?

Did not have a real cutaway under canopy, but think about this:

It was on a tandem. Winds suddenly increased to a point where the TI was dragged after landing somewhat out - so no catchers.
He quickly decided to cut away but RSL still attached.

Skyhook did its job and the cutaway main pulled the reserve completely out. The main landed some 50m far away with the freebag still attached.

In that case, it was necassary to repack the entire reserve. Without skyhook it might have been enough to just close the container.

So.. Think about disconnecting the RSL if you might land in conditions where a cutaway is unavoidable. (of course you should not even jump in these conditions....)

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

In that case, it was necassary to repack the entire reserve. Without skyhook it might have been enough to just close the container.

If a container opens in the field, it would be very hard for the reserve bag to stay in the container and to insure to the rigger that it was not harmed the entire way to the rigging loft.

The ONLY way I would seal up a container I packed the first time, where the PC popped in the field, is if I was there every moment and the bag stayed in the container the entire time, with the flaps closed.... One moment out of my site, then sorry - needs to be repacked.

This is a pretty lame reason not to get a skyhook.

Now, if you said the inflated reserve drug the tandem pair across the runway because the TM did not release the RSL before cutting away, then besides for slapping the instructor, I would say you have a valid argument for better skyhook training, not eliminating the technology.

Now, if you said the inflated reserve drug the tandem pair across the runway because the TM did not release the RSL before cutting away, then besides for slapping the instructor, I would say you have a valid argument for better skyhook training, not eliminating the technology.

that was my point...

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

Well, I haven't used my Skyhook yet...but my g/f has. Same deal as with labrys - 2 stuck riser covers that she couldn't get open. She cut it away, and said she had a beautiful insta-reserve in what seemed like less than a second. It opened soft, fast & on-heading.

And they found the main with the freebag attached. Another Skyhook bonus.

(And no, no magnetic riser covers on either of our rigs- and they're not available for retrofit, because it involves replacing the entire yoke. :| We've asked).

I know that isn't a firsthand account, but to add another story in support of Skyhooks, my first (and only) cutaway was over an unfamiliar DZ from spinning line twists. Fought until I reached my hard deck, then chopped.

No RSL on that rig...and like I said, this was my first jump at said DZ. Chopped, gave myself a second to get stable, then pulled silver. When I reached the ground, I realized that I had cut away over hills. I was busy trying to get stable, and was a whole lot lower than I thought I was. B|

Made me a big fan of RSL's, and the Skyhook especially, given its good response to spinning mals.

Signatures are the new black.

Gary

I have three SkyHook saves on Sigma Tandem Rigs in 2005, all low speed mals ..... two pressure knots and one line over, you never get to head low on the cut-away. Twice the freebag stayed with the main and once it fell separate.

On the sports side, I have 31 live SkyHooks test jumps, in the following configurations

6 x Total Malfunction, Straight to Reserve Terminal
5 x Sub Terminal Reserve Activations
5 x Forward Spinning Main Canopy (past seven revolutions, toggle induced)
5 x Full Flight No Malfunction Activations
5 x Backwards Spinning Main Canopy (past seven revolutions, rear riser induced)
5 x Bag Lock Malfunctions (terminal to deployment of bag lock and then 6 seconds in bag lock to activation)

In all these jumps, there was only one time that the SkyHook did not activate the reserve, on inspection of the video, the RSL Shackle is on, but we suspected it to be incorrectly secured or seated.

The System works great, and I now have one on my Vector Micron ;)

Hope that helps

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

Gary

I have three SkyHook saves on Sigma Tandem Rigs in 2005, all low speed mals ..... two pressure knots and one line over, you never get to head low on the cut-away. Twice the freebag stayed with the main and once it fell separate.

On the sports side, I have 31 live SkyHooks test jumps, in the following configurations

6 x Total Malfunction, Straight to Reserve Terminal
5 x Sub Terminal Reserve Activations
5 x Forward Spinning Main Canopy (past seven revolutions, toggle induced)
5 x Full Flight No Malfunction Activations
5 x Backwards Spinning Main Canopy (past seven revolutions, rear riser induced)
5 x Bag Lock Malfunctions (terminal to deployment of bag lock and then 6 seconds in bag lock to activation)

In all these jumps, there was only one time that the SkyHook did not activate the reserve, on inspection of the video, the RSL Shackle is on, but we suspected it to be incorrectly secured or seated.

The System works great, and I now have one on my Vector Micron ;)

Hope that helps

How the fuck did you get a Micron before me?
:D

Thanks for the stories guys, keep em coming.

Those that want to bitch about the skyhook, or just explain pros and cons. how about taking to one of thos other threads..... This is for stories on those that have used the skyhook. Please dont ruin the thread with your same old bullshit you contribute to all the other skyhook threads.

With all due respect, cant we just have one thread in this entire site that remains on subject?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Relative Workshop Skyhook Demo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSd_EbVUNAg

Direct from UPT:

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=85&Itemid=27

Good stuff.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

"

Any one using it on a non-Vector rig yet ? Any other rig makers offer it as option yet ?

"

During the 2007 PIA Symposium, RWS/UPT announced that they had sold Skyhook licenses to eight other manufacturers. Part of the Skyhook license includes doing a series of drop tests and submitting video to UPT.
Skyhooks have been available on Javelins for at least a year now.

Please note that this thread is for discussions of actual Skyhook activations, not for pro/con Skyhook or other spinoff conversations. At the request of the OP, I edited the subject line and added a comment to the original post to make that a little clearer, and removed the off-topic content.

Thanks,
Arrive Safely

John

I have reported on this forum(see UNUSUAL MALFUNCTION thread) my total malfunction. Here is the summary :
Equipment : Vector III with magnets and Skyhook
Problem: Couldn't find my hackey due to inflated jumpsuit due to jumpsuit zipper giving up in free fall.
Solution: I tried twice to locate my hackey and I pulled my reserve handle
Results: After I have pulled my reserve handle, I looked up to see that my reserve (PD 160) was already inflated, stable after a soft and fast opening. I landed at a chosen place softly.
Since it was a total malfunction (no cut away) with my main still in the container and the Skyhook RSL still in place, the reserve deployment was made by the reserve pilot chute which pulled the bridle cord which made the Skyhook disconnect as designed. Unfortunately, nobody saw my deployment and I have lost my pilot chute/briddle/Skyhook/free bag assembly.But I was alive.

Edited by slotperfect to add a link to the other thread:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3324851;search_string=UNUSUAL%20MALFUNCTION%20;#3324851
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I had one on a Sigma a few months ago. I told the student "put your hands on your harness and arch." She said, "what?" and I pulled the cutaway handle, looked up as I was getting to full arm extension and saw the reserve out of the bag already. Smooth as silk, no freefall feeling and hardly any opening shock.

Three activations so far. All from spinning linetwists, different canopies loaded from 1.9 to 2.2.
The reserve was flying straight and without linetwists every time.
The first two times - just a seamless canopy transfer, third time I had "back to freefall" sensation for a split second - not sure why, maybe I'm just getting used to it and notice more ;)

Skwrl,

Did all three of your cutaways happen on wingsuit jumps? What model wingsuit?

I've had three Skyhook equipped cutaways as well, all on wingsuits. They were very similar to your video, lots of line twists, canopy spins up with you on your back looking up at the sky. Cutaway and nearly instant perfect reserve over your head.

My rigger got to witness his reserve pack job opening on the last one. The spin was more intense than the first two, he said after I cut away, it spit me out sideways from the spin. The reserve deployed while I was still moving laterally and I then swung down under the reserve. Wish I had video, the peeps on the ground said is was very color co-ordinated with all the red,white and blue mains and the blue reserve flying around. He estimates I had an open reserve in 60 to 70 feet.

All in all, the Skyhook is awesome and I highly recommend it.

I won't jump with out one (just kidding - for all you device dependency nazi's :)

3 chops-the skyhook actually had a reserve fling above my head before I initiated silver. Left that one stowed, however it was costly. I am an instructor, and I think we all wonder if and when it will happen. When it came time to commit I took the "O SHIT" handle and fed it to the sky.
So 1st cutaway, new handle, a repack, and my home DZ is a green beer DZ. You do the math. All in all I"m here
Blues All,
Deegs
It is possible to get all A's in school and still flunk life~Percy Walker

12 january 2008; spinning main - tension knot, C-line wrapped around steeringlines. you can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzJETzzj1pA

Worked out nicely. There was only one thing different from my first mal(PCIT), was that I really had to focus on pulling the reserve ripcord to ensure that my reserve was actually being pulled. The reason was that I got tossed around pretty much and never gave myself the time to look up.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

12 january 2008; spinning main - tension knot, C-line wrapped around steeringlines. you can watch it here:

Worked out nicely. There was only one thing different from my first mal(PCIT), was that I really had to focus on pulling the reserve ripcord to ensure that my reserve was actually being pulled. The reason was that I got tossed around pretty much and never gave myself the time to look up.

Tossed around to say the least...twisted up the reserve! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What canopy was that? What was your wing load? Its strange to see that you were more interested to deal with killing the slider than stopping the turn and dive of your wing.