hackish

Nitron 150 = slug in the air?

I weigh in at 200 with gear. Got to try a nitron 150 today. Not because I'm considering downsizing from my sabre2 170 but it was offered so I could do a back to back load.

I know I only jumped it once but what a disappointment. The opening was brutal. Not a slammer at all but it whipped the hell out of me. Knowing this was a higher performance canopy I made sure to pull very stable and symmetrically.

At linestretch it was fine and I was expecting to fly the opening as I would my S2-170 but as soon as the slider started to descend it whipped me around hard enough I said a few bad words and started to get linetwist. Managed to hold the risers apart enough to prevent this. Once it was fully open it calmed right down.

Pointed myself at the DZ and collapsed the slider, then unstowed the brakes. Canopy seemed to turn a bit like a student rig. I started with 1/4 toggle and added more progressively. Damn thing flies like a nylon slug. I don't think the brake line length is wrong because it stalls at an appropriate place and the flare is really good. They showed a good line arc at full flight too.

The opening may have just been a freak but it sure doesn't seem to fly that nicely. When I ask something to turn I'd like it to do as instructed. I didn't want to get too aggressive on an unfamiliar canopy and it seems to respond better on the risers but the toggle/turn response seemed to really suck.

Is this typical for a nitron? I know the canopy went back because it was having slider problems and weird openings. It's only got about 25 jumps on it and they replaced the lineset. Nobody else at my DZ has that exact canopy so it's hard to know what to expect.

-Michael

Is there any difference between the Nitron and Nitro?

I put a few jumps on a Nitro and found i liked it a whole lot more than the Sabre2. Sabre2 to me flew like a boat on toggles.

Only thing i wanted was a longer recovery arc on the Nitro

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Ah crap, had to look in the logbook. It was a Nitro not a Nitron. It definitely wasn't as responsive as my sabre2 even after I added 4" to the brake lines. I'll have to try a sabre2 150 sometime for comparison. I tried a sabre1-150 before the owner upgraded to the Nitro 150, toggle response wasn't as bad as the sabre1. I wish for a recovery arc between the Nitro and the Sabre2.

-Michael

There are differences between the Nitro and Nitron, but it's not how they fly. The Nitro has spanwise reinforcement that the Nitron is supposed to have. The Nitro also has some extra reinforcement on the stabilizer attachments. I would say the problems you noticed are unique to that canopy. I have somewhere around 450 jumps on my Nitron 170 and 13 on a Nitro 150 that I demo'd, they both fly/flew great. If you want to be able to use "The Force" to make your canopy turn get a Stilleto. I had several dozen openings on the Nitron with one brake set and the other released before I found out how to set Truloc toggles, it would still open fine, and I could keep it straight with harness input while I collapsed the slider. My lines have so much slack that releasing the brakes has almost no effect, but they are right because the slack goes away with full front riser input. The Nitro turned much quicker, but the wingloading was higher, so I expected that. The biggest difference between them was the harness was much more effective on the 150. They both have very short recovery arcs. On my Nitron I can do a 180 front riser turn at 400 to 450 feet, the Stilleto I jumped was between 500 to 600 depending on the weather, My Comp Cobalt is a tad higher at 550 to 700 depending on weather.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.