ryan_d_sucks

Loading a PD190

Depends on the condition of the main (read: how many jumps on it). I jumped a PD190 for my first 150 jumps and it pretty much sucked for the flare :S

Now, I could jump it just fine. Hit the peas everytime and I have enough expierience with crappy F111 canopies to know how to flare it. Tip: Single stroke flare a tad higher than you would on your old canopy. Works for me, your milage may vary. Good luck with it ;)

http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

For supporting your weight a zero porosity canopy is about equivalent to 2 sizes up when using a F111 canopy. eg. Your Spectre 190 (which is a zero P) supports you like a PD 230 (F111) or your PD 190 supports you like a Spectre 150.
But since the PD 190 is made of F111, it will slip thru the air less than a zero P of the same size then will be slower. That will affect the flare which will be less powerful.
Other considerations, the Spectre is a 7 cells while the PD 190 is a 9 cells. ( 9 cells parachute have a better flare than 7 cells). Also a 9 cells will fly more horizontally than a 7 cells which is good for the flare.
Conclusion: I would say that your PD 190 will flare less than you Spectre 190 but not that much.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

>How well will this wingloading transfer over to the F111 PD190 (9cell).

If the PD190 has under 100 jumps on it it will land you well. If it has a few hundred you will need to be very careful on landing; it will not have the flare power you are used to. If it has more than about 500 you will need a lot of skill to safely land it, since it will stall during a normal flare at those loadings.

Its not a good idea. I thought I knew better when I had 100-ish jumps, then I tore out a stabilizer on opening. It wasn't pretty in any other way either.

When the canopy is new (sub-100 jumps) then it flies ok, past that and it pretty much sucks.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."