DivaSkyChick

plane meets head

fuuuuuck... I can't believe the dude lived after seeing the dent in the wing! :o

He was saved by the fact that it looks like a Piper J3 cub there that hit him. That plane has a really slow approach speed and fabric wings. He was also lucky that the wing hit him square between two wooden slats, so he only got nailed by a taught piece of canvas that split and absorbed some impact. If it had been a Cessna with a matel wing, it would have knocked his head off.

As you can see though, he didn't exactly get up and romp away. I bet it left a mark.

Also looks from the approach as though the pilot was (God forbid) trying to hit him, or more likely scare him. [:/] Why else would he dip a wing like that? If it had been emergency avoidance he'd surely have banked in the other direction. Does anyone know the context of that clip?

>Also looks from the approach as though the pilot was (God forbid) trying to hit him . . .

Probably just trying to come close; that's the objective of buzz jobs. I recall Tony Perner getting a wheel up his butt at Skydive Long Island years ago from a too-close buzz job.

I don't know Dave......bout the Super Cub....

Matter of fact, may not technically be a Piper Cub either..... Let's go with an L-2 or L-3. Could be of the "Interstate" brand...... Back in the war, that's what they were called........

And it's a fabric and wood design........

Buck

Well, I can't watch it right now so I'm going by memory, but I'm pretty sure it was in the piper family. An L-2 is early... woulda had the pistons sticking out the sides of the cowling like a J3. An L-3 is an aeronca champ basically...pretty different looking...different landing gear.

The super cub has wood and fabric wings with metal leading edges... protection from debris. Imagine how fast a pure fabric leading edge would get torn apart. A J3 might have a plywood leading edge or something... I dunno. But I'm sure it's solid, not fabric.

Dave