RickNC

Vector II

I am looking for first gear. Found a vector II with very low jumps It is a V8 with a MLW of 17". I cannot find anywhere where it says what the rig should fit body wise. I am 5' 10" and 175 w/ahthletic build.. I know some will say not to get a vector II but for me I don't always need the latest and greatest. As long as it works for me that is ok. Leaves me more money for an AAD. Does anyone know if that size rig will fit my frame? Thanks.

V8 refers to the container size. These are large containers that may be a little big for your weight and the canopies you'd choose. I had a Raven IV (hmm, 260sq ft. don't remember exactly and I should) in a V8. It took a V9 to hold a Manta 288. And I have a Triathlon 190 in a V5 with a Raven II. Just about right for you. So V8 may be too big depending on first main. Certainly will be too big at first downsize.

MLW of 17" is probably a little small. I'm 5' 10" and have varyied from 175 to 220 during my ownership of Vector II's All of them have been a MLW of 18" or 18.5". I'd expect the 17" to be a little small. Especially if you have a muscular chest. You should try it on and hang in it on the ground to see. It can be adjusted, it may have already been adjusted and not match the label. (either way) But it may not be worth the money for you to have it adjusted to fit.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm 5'9" average build with a vector 2 17"harness fits me well. I've had from 200 to 126 square foot canopys in it but the smaller sizes were bulkier packing CRW canopys. Its either a V3 or V5 ( label is worn ) fits 170 sized canopys nicely. It is a 19 year old container and not safe for freeflying and there no mods to make it safe for FF regardless of what you hear. Its great for belly , wingsuit and CRW.

I got it as starter gear cheap but its value resale is so low that I couldn't sell it with a reserve for more than $300 so its now a dedicated CRW rig

Well I am a beginner and the rig comes with a 230 main which is what I have been looking for. I have some back issues so need something slow that will be less likely to pound me into the ground. I will probably not be able to downsize on this rig but by the time I do that I will get new gear.

This is the rig in question. What do you guys think? Canopies are a bit old but have few jumps. Not sure how being stored for that long will affect them.

I have a Vector 2 v8 container size MLW 17" 1-20-92 with BOC for sale. I has a PD 230 main w / crew lines Oct 90, and a PDR 218, 8/90 with only 5 pack jobs. The rig has about 40 some jumps on it, and has not been jumped since 99. It's in perfect condition. A rigger did a complete inspection and repack of both chutes. Buyer pays shipping

Since no one else has mentioned this... height is not the only thing that needs to be considered when trying to figure out if a particular MLW will fit you or not.

Here's a handy formula that might help. Take your height in inches, subtract your inseam (crotch to floor, no shoes), then subtract 20. You'll end up with an MLW measurement that should fit you. Example - I'm 5'8" with a 33" inseam. 68" minus 33" minus 20 = 15 - so a 15" MLW should (and does) fit me. So if you're 5'10" (70") and have a 33" inseam, a 17" MLW should fit you (70-33-20=17).

Note that this only takes MLW length into account. Leg strap and lateral length will vary between rigs with the same MLW depending on the body shape of the person it was built for.

If this is the ad you are talking about, take note that the user posted it less than a week after registering on the site and has yet to fill out a profile.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=67667;d=1

Be careful!

I do a lot of internet shopping so I am. He has responded to emails and sent a lot of pics.

This is the rig in question. What do you guys think?

All I know is a mate got a V2 for his first rig and he's really struggling to freefly safely, velcro is in really good condition and he occasionally goes on sitfly but he's always nervous and always ends up going back to RW.

Just something to think about.

First of all, a Vector II is a very nice second hand rig especially if it is in good condition. There is still many around and working fine.
The MLW means the Main Lift Web (length) and is mesured with a tape going from the hole between your 2 collar bones below your neck and the ball of your hipbone just few inches sideway from the navel. A MLW of 17'' seems a bit small for you but check first your own MLW length on your body. One inch difference is generally OK. The leg straps should fit you too but generally there is no problem with them since your size is in the average and hoping the guy selling that rig is about the same size. UPT Vector can adjust the MLW too if necessary. If you go on UPT Vector web site you can see how to mesure the MLW on yourself.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.