breadhead

Metal ring in bridle attachment point

On some of the canopies this was in the design before the kill lines became so poluar and the metal ring kept us from pulling the top skin through the d-bags gromet maybe causing damage during deployment.

On others the ring is used to attach the small link for the kill line designed pilot chute.

I would venture if the ring is in the middle of the bridle attachment point it is the first point and if at the end it is the second (but it would work the same for the first point) .

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Funny that this is brought up this week. I was just talking about this last weekend because I wanna remove the metal rings on my pd canopies, but was advised by a person who works a pd that they would just put one back on and give me crap whenever it goes in for a reline. I dont mind the attachment point, it is just the metal ring I dont want considering it does nothing on my canopy except create a snag point for an rds line. Still waiting back to hear back from pd as to if they will sell them without that

What a funny question for a guy with such amount of jumps????

From a well-respected manufacturer of skydiving gear, I honestly expected something more useful than mockery over my ignorance. My AFF-instructor used to say: in skydiving there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

I would still very much appreciate hearing you explain the reasons for the metal ring.

Been answered

Euhm, sorry Matt, I think I'm not really understanding your answer. It's probably me. The ring is in the middle, so your initial answer suggests (first point) that it is only useful in the case of no kill-line. Now, if that were the case, I'm sure the high-performance canopies (at least Velo's, Katana's) would not have the metal ring, since these are always to be used with a kill-line anyway. There must be something more to it.

>What is the purpose of the metal ring in the bridle attachment point, on the
> top skin of the canopy?

To provide a location to lark's head some types of PC attachments, and to keep the webbing from pulling through the grommet.

On hard-link PC connectors I generally attach the link to the webbing loop itself to reduce metal-on-metal pinch points (damages topskin.)

It depends on the canopy.
If I recal most of the PD canopies have the ring in the middle of the attachmnet point. Others like Flight Concepts have it at the end (if the yhave one some models do not).

Agian it was so we would not damage the canopies top skin.

You may not find a reason now if your using a kill line and/or an RDS.

Matt

i have a mirage and a micron, but also have used javelins. I am talking about pd canopies and I dont understand why pd would put it on if you would not like it or would wanna do away with it. Why would they put a new one on if you took it off? I am just wondering the questions and would like to hear from pd staff about why that is.

i want to say it has to do with the patent on the canopy or something to that affect. if people take those off or if they stop building them without the ring then something could be out of wack. but i could be totally wrong.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I do not have one but I have seen a couple of different versions.

Basically the Slider has a quick release set up and usually just leaves behind the rings once removed. Attached to the slider via a line of some sort is the d-bag and of course the pilot chute to the bag.

One of the PRO Swoopers of CPC Pilots can probably post a pic of the set up they have, maybe try the swoopers forum.

Matt