Marc11

Freefly Handle?

Hi everyone!
I'm pretty new to skydiving and I just purchased my first rig recently, which was used. I noticed it has the freefly handle rather than the hackey. I've been asking around my DZ and haven't gotten a definite answer on what difference the freefly handle makes besides the different feeling when pulling. More specifically, how does the freefly handle affect freeflying enough to call it so? Not like I'm going to be freeflying any time soon, I was just curious! Thanks!

Blue skies

The freefly handle makes your rig safer to be used for freeflying. A freefly handle securely closes the pouch of the pilotchute and covers the last inch of bridle coming from the rig to the pouch. It's very unlikely that the pilotchute will come out if you are not belly to earth.
Plus it's more unlikely to push or pull the pc out while moving around in the plane.

In my opinion everybody, not just freeflyers, should have one, since it's the safest way to stow your pilotchute.

Don't stick with a Freefly handle just because it's cool or supposedly safer. It has to work for you. I had one put on when I got my new vector, but I found it much more difficult for me to get hold of and pull. For me it was a combo of length of rig, length of arm or some range of motion issues I have in my shoulder, but I found several occasions where I struggled to get a good grip on the handle and pull. Scared me enough that I switched to a hackey handle. I have no problems now, though it is probably a tad less secure, I'll take that risk over a scary no pull.

I find the (UPT) Freefly handle very good and in my opinion it is a good choice for everyone, not only for Freeflyers.

I don't find it harder to pull.
Instead of this it doesn't moves around like other handles, so - for me - it is much easier to find.

I used the standard plastic handle before (often I had to rotate it on pull time a little bit to have a good grip).

And the monkey fist handle I had before tumbled around and never couldn't be stuffed so safely as the FF handle or even the plastic roll.

But I have to admit, that it will depend much on the manufacturer if the FF handle is a good choice or not.

I only know the UPT Micron handle from my own experience so I can't say nothing about the others.

Don't be a Lutz!

I find the (UPT) Freefly handle very good and in my opinion it is a good choice for everyone, not only for Freeflyers.

I don't find it harder to pull.
Instead of this it doesn't moves around like other handles, so - for me - it is much easier to find.

I used the standard plastic handle before (often I had to rotate it on pull time a little bit to have a good grip).

And the monkey fist handle I had before tumbled around and never couldn't be stuffed so safely as the FF handle or even the plastic roll.

But I have to admit, that it will depend much on the manufacturer if the FF handle is a good choice or not.

I only know the UPT Micron handle from my own experience so I can't say nothing about the others.

Here are pictures of the 3 types of handles available on a Vector 3.

Mark Klingelhoefer

Is it true that there's an extra step in deployment with a FF handle? My wife says it freaked her out a little when she first got her new rig because she needed to do a kind of peel & pull style deployment of the FF handle.

The first time I ever used one, I had to pull twice. I had it down by the second jump. It is a little bit of a roll (with the heel of you hand) and pull, whereas the hackey is just a pull. It's a bit weird the first time, but after that, it becomes second nature (at least in my case).

Mark Klingelhoefer

Is it true that there's an extra step in deployment with a FF handle?

Not really. After a couple of jumps with the system you'll have a little extra wrist roll, but that's it. Its not hard, its not scary, its just a little different.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The freefly handle makes your rig safer to be used for freeflying.

Sure. :S

When I asked my mentor he told that its a big no-no in cold climate.

Partly true ....

Some of the tiny, sillisifed, silly, little freefly handles made in warm climates - like Florida, Arizona and California - are almost impossible to grab with cold hands and thick gloves.

However, large freefly handles work well in cold climates.

A lot of people had no problem with a spring loaded PC and shot-and-a-halfs.

Personally I like the security the handle helps give to the entire deployment system. It help protects the bridle, it covers the BOC's opening and secures the handle from bumps and such in the plane and while jumping. I think its a good compromise between a standard BOC and a pull-out in terms of advantages and disadvantages.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Personally I like the security the handle helps give to the entire deployment system. It help protects the bridle, it covers the BOC's opening and secures the handle from bumps and such in the plane and while jumping. I think its a good compromise between a standard BOC and a pull-out in terms of advantages and disadvantages.

Isn't this (attached) the best of both worlds?

"Freefly-Hacky:

Love the security of your freefly handle, but miss the grip of your hacky? Continuing a legacy of innovation, Mirage Systems has introduced a solution to give you the best of both worlds. We have designed the Mirage Freefly Hacky. The Freefly Hacky is identical to the traditional hacky with the exception of a tuck tab that snugly fits under the corner flap of your main container.

This allows the jumper to get a full palm's grip on the handle, while greatly reducing the chance of a premature deployment. Gone are the days of a pilot chute that walks out of its pouch! Just like the Mirage Freefly Handle, this hacky remains in-place until deployment, even at freefly speeds!

The Freefly Hacky option costs no more than the Freefly Handle or the traditional Hacky Handle. It's just one more way that Mirage provides extra value in a rig that is truly custom built for you. If you wish to choose the Freefly Hacky, just specify in the Special Instructions section of your order form."

I demo'd a Vector last weekend with a freefly handle and had a bit of trouble with it. I don't freefly yet, but when I went back to a rental rig with a hackey I felt much better.

Has anyone used the hackey with the tuck tab? I'd be interested in hearing how it worked...

Emphasis mine. I know there might be information about you that I know nothing about. But all I (and anyone else reading here) has to go on is your profile, okay?

You list 100 jumps in 4 years and you have a really absurdly dangerous wingloading on our main based on what you report about yourself and an even more dangerous approach to your reserve canopy selection.

No offense, man, but based on what you've presented I hope most people might take what you recommend with a grain of salt. I'm not convinced that your opinion is trustworthy regardless of topic.
Owned by Remi #?

Emphasis mine. I know there might be information about you that I know nothing about. But all I (and anyone else reading here) has to go on is your profile, okay?

And this is, I have to admit, out of Date since a long time (at least in case of Jump numbers and time in sport)

Don't be a Lutz!

I demo'd a Vector last weekend with a freefly handle and had a bit of trouble with it. I don't freefly yet, but when I went back to a rental rig with a hackey I felt much better.

Has anyone used the hackey with the tuck tab? I'd be interested in hearing how it worked...

Never used one myself (I fly a Micron with the aforementioned FF handle & love it), but two friends of mine both had reserve rides on rigs with the 'freefly hacky'.

Further up this thread someone was talking about the FF handle requiring a bit more of a robust pull - that's pretty much what it came down to in this situation. These 2 newer jumpers were demoing Mirage containers, and no one mentioned that 'Hey, there's a tuck-tab underneath that hacky. You might have to pull down, then toss.' So when they each went to pull they couldn't get the PC out because they were used to a quick, loose grab-and-toss motion. Tried twice, then went to reserve (at terminal, no less B|).

Anyway, I think they both went on to get Mirage rigs with said hacky, once they figured out what happened and tried it again. :)
Point being, this is not a negative towards that handle. It's just a good thing to be aware of before you try it. Might help to pull it out once on the ground before you jump it just to get the feel for it.
Signatures are the new black.

Is it possible to get the freefly handle retrofitted? I wasn't freeflying yet when I put in the order but now thats all I do (or at least attempt to do) and have been wondering for sometime about being able to get the handle changed after the fact. Its supposed to be delivered in 7 weeks so idk if they would have started it already.

Is it possible to get the freefly handle retrofitted? I wasn't freeflying yet when I put in the order but now thats all I do (or at least attempt to do) and have been wondering for sometime about being able to get the handle changed after the fact. Its supposed to be delivered in 7 weeks so idk if they would have started it already.

What is your serial number or who did you order it through. If it has not been cut yet, we can make the change. Email me at [email protected] with the details.

Mark Klingelhoefer

Its supposed to be delivered in 7 weeks so idk if they would have started it already.

I doubt they started, since making a rig takesapproximately 8 business hours :)
So basically, your rig waits in the queue for 6 months to be built, and then gets build in one day :)

It takes us 4 weeks for a rig to work it's way through our (normal) system and be completed (from cut to completion), unless our name is Bill Booth, his last rig took 2 days.

Mark Klingelhoefer