airborneak

Gear Stolen in San Francisco

Keep an eye on the local pawn shops. When wuffos steal gear that's where it sometimes shows up. Also get the word out to close by DZs. Thieves don't realize how small the skydiving community is and they'll walk onto a DZ trying to sell gear and their story is, "I gave up jumping," or "I don't jump anymore," or, "It belonged to my uncle Bob and he doesn't jump anymore."

Once at Perris a guy showed up trying to sell a BASE canopy that belonged to me. But it wasn't exactly stolen. The guy was a security guard who caught me right after I landed in the street in front of his building. He grabbed my bridle and pilot chute as I tried to get away from him. When the tug of war began I cut him away and took off.

A few weeks later he showed up at Square One trying to sell the canopy I left behind. A few of us chased him off and I got my canopy back . . . :ph34r:

NickD :)

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of pics of the entire rig. Here is the best i can do. Thank you all for your help.

:(

With the value of gear being fairly high, I always suggest to call to take nice pics of their gear and manufacturer labels with SN on them. I know it's too late now :(

eBay/craigslist/local pawn shops and the DZ are probably the most likely places to find the gear. Perhaps posting a Craigslist ad for "want gear" or "gear missing - $$$ reward offered no questions asked" may help...

Alex,

That sucks big time. I want to kick you in the nuts for leaving your gear in your car.

Keep an eye on craigslist. I know someone who ended up finding his stolen rig on there.

I have a Wings W-13 with a PD 160R in it that you are welcome to borrow until you get yourself re-situated. It doesn't have an AAD or a main, but if it would help, give me a call. It's even black and red!

Ficus

Thanks Ficus! I really appreciate it. I'm kickin myself too! The sad part is, I've parked my car with thousands worth of stereo equipment and other stuff in the car in some of the shittiest neighborhoods and nothing happens..and here I park with everything very inconspicuous in a nice area and I get taken to town! It sucks!

I'm adding another pic as well to give another view of the rig!

You might try to contact the SFPD's pawn shop detail directly if that is possible. I assume they still have one. They did when I lived there a few years back.

This unit rides herd on the city's pawn shops. Mostly they don't recover much because a report of a Makita drill or other power tool with no SN (typical) doesn't give them much to go on. In your case the item is very unique. Worth a try.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

It's too late now but when something is stolen and the thief has no clue what it is, they throw it away. It's a good idea to immediately start searching dumpsters ... etc.

Good luck with recovery. It's not terribly likely but ya never know. I know the same person who found his on craigslist.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto